Game is missing major features - working on add ons instead? What is going on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smitty, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

so you hwole sticking point is the ability to drop an item on the ground - well I give - sure but 60 seconds later it deacys GO FOR IT. if you just want it to sit there sorry NOPE.

If al you want is to be able to remove items from your inventory well that is there - soooo?

Dropping items on the ground that persist is just plain pointless.

2. Smitty

Smitty Legend of the Hearth

I've got hundreds of dollars invested in this game already in add ons and they would ban me for asking about item drop? Thanks for the heads up Jackrabbit. I'm not sure what is going on around here.

Jackrabbit likes this.
  3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Sorry that this particular feature has not come online yet and I understand your frustration at the delay. However the comparison between content (like a new house) and a feature is a completely illogical. A new building takes the resources of a single artist several days and then some design side data entry of a few hours. A feature like item drops anywhere takes about 2-3 programmers multiple weeks (if not months) to get working properly without killing performance.

Death system improvements will slowly come online but we are in midst of major overhauls of the combat and skill systems so any work on death would be wasted.

Fishing is near and dear to us as well but until we have the gear economy / crafting backbone where we want it we don't want to prioritize that work.

4. Smitty

Jackrabbit and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  5. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

@DarkStarr Thanks for taking the time to give us a clarification DarkStarr. You mentioned that this particular feature has not come online 'yet', does that mean it is still intended at some time?

Tarsilion, mbomber and Smitty like this.
  6. Smitty

*holds breath*

7. DarkStarr

It is still something we want to consider but we have major performance concerns because of the increase in dynamic objects in a scene. Just go visit any town with player housing and decorations and watch the performance go down. Until we can solve that we don't want to compound the issue.

8. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

ok, i'll take that as a 'maybe'. Thank you for your time.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But such performance issues would not be such a problem in the offline mode, would it? At least there would not be other players running around and dropping things. So I am hoping for a system to drop and move around items at least for the offline mode...

10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

For now I'll be happy if we can place anything in our inventory as an item or deco. If I want to deco my kitchen with bark bread, and my smithy with armour, shields, swords and other weapons, I cannot do that right now!

11. tomcat_de

tomcat_de Avatar

Thanks for the clarification DarkStarr. But as someone else pointed out (can't find quote, sorry), in SP mode that performance issue would not exist, right? To reenact the old Ultima feeling where you could drop that Serpent Ring and forget where the hell that was, we can't really live without that! :oops:

Also, what about dropping any ol' item in my home? I still can't put all the stuff from my inventory on top of the table when I come home from a hard day of adventuring...will that change?

docdoom77 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

I do hope that you can find a way to resolve this and allow it to some degree. But if you can't, does that mean that public cache chests will strictly be limited to player property boundaries only, regardless if NPC town, wilderness scene, or POT?

Yes, I do hope this limitation is removed for offline mode. I did ask this question in the Single Player Offline thread, so they're aware of the performance issues it can cause, especially without decay timers.

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

EDIT - sniped by Darkstarr?

Greetings and welcome back.

Ah, there is a slight misunderstanding here.
    Sometimes when the devs develop something for the game, they will based on player requests/interest develop a similar item for the players.

Back when you were playing last they did Ardoris, when doing that they made some row houses for that design, at the same time they added add on store houses for players with the same base models, just variants. So that if the players wanted to they could get similar housing.

In the case of the airship, then if you check out the Weekly Update newsletter you will see that it was another such case.
    The base design of the model is for the game and in this case one of the main adversaries will be living in such an airship. So the majority of the work and modelling is already done to enhance the game.
    Then they did a reskin, worked out some kinks and some finishing and put that in the store.

If such things are popular enough they cover more than enough of the cost for modelling etc for the game. Which means more money for features and more models.
    Also note that it is different people with different skill sets doing different parts of the development.

Last we heard it was still planned, but with a decay on the stuff you place so that the whole world wouldn't be littered with such items.

Consequencies to dying is starting to come in for R22-23. But as long as combat isn't complete and more balanced it would be too frustrating to have the full effects of death without the means to prevent them.

Fishing is still planned but is one of the mini-games features which can easily be added on top, so a low priority during pre-alpha, but a higher priority in alpha.

14. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Present those special items as bugs in the bug forum, maybe it will get added to the list of decorations. ;)

15. smack

smack Avatar

Fishing is currently planned for R22. Sure it can get bumped, but by their definition, fishing has to be implemented in some form for them to declare Alpha (feature complete).

Alexander likes this.
  16. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

I personally, would be more interested in them spending the money they have already received, for the things we were already promised for that same said money. It's great that the community can buy new features, but that development time or resources should not come at the expense of the promises that were made prior to that.

17. DarkStarr

Again this is a FALSE assumption. These are completely different resources. No money was diverted from feature development (programmers) to make a house (artists). Please stop spreading that false assumption, especially after I offered an explanation that refuted the false claim.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed but that is iteration 1 with only base/core functionality testing, not the complete feature with fishing leaderboards multiple type of fish, regional variance, daedelusian variance etc. So I'd be very reluctant mentioning a first iteration as an implementation to someone who is already upset about it. If he comes back in R22 and see the first iteration he won't be happy.

19. Smitty

".. something we want to consider.." No offense, but that seems to me worded as the bottom of priority list as it gets. Thanks for the answer though. I thought that instancing, house quantity limitations and item limit within the house would be set to balance the inside/outside items and their inherent performance requirements. But I'm no programmer, and that was an assumption.

Appreciate everyone's answers from the others on death and fishing.

Thanks.

LostBMe and raxxus like this.
  20. raxxus

raxxus Legend of the Hearth

Happy to hear about fishing! !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.