Gamers Nexus: SotA Trailblazes Future of RPG Community Involvement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Nope I had a good variety of horses :) In some games I had flying dragons...But guess it's too early to even go there!

majoria70 likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I knew it... you were in the Wyrmguard.

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I guess it was a different mindset when I was playing UO...having a persistent mount was exciting and felt like a real pet. You had to watch out for your horse...make him stay before getting in a fight...or fight tooth and nail defending him.

By the time I played Lord of the Rings...I just wanted it now now now haha...I miss UO

majoria70 and Filthy Peasant like this.
  4. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I get really attached to any horse or pet summons I get in a game. It doesn't take the fear of its death to make me want to look after it and give it a name and so on.

Oh that's another thing - Devs can we get the ability to name our pets/horses? This is really important.

Right now when I summon my turkey or reindeer, I'd like to be able to give it a name, and personalise it. Would like this feature for all summoned creatures (non-combat pets/horses/etc).

majoria70 and Logain like this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I like the idea that stretch goal horses would not be able to be perma killed...just removed from battle. That would be another way to get these stretch goals moving! Give them a real good reason to be purchased...

Filthy Peasant, majoria70 and redfish like this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

TBH, the scenes are small enough that mounts have little benefit at the moment. For this reason, it does not seem as cool as the elves goal for now.

Logain likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

People are already complaining about the size of the cities, especially Ardoris. Plus, even about map travel.

Tahru likes this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think Starr said if mounts were implemented, it would be a compromise system. You would summon the horse and there would be an animation for it appearing. It wouldn't just fully poof.

I'm assuming something similar to Zelda 64.

SWTOR was a very cinematic, dramatic game. Mounts poofed in and out. It seemed odd briefly, but in the end I enjoyed the convenience. When you play a game for hours and hours for years and years, you eventually favor convenience.

lollie likes this.
  9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

New cheese please o_O

10. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Option 4 looks awesome. I'll bring the BBQ sauce.

There could be an option 1.5 specific to making logging in and out easier while in town. Remove cost of keeping pet at the stables... Consider it a town tax :) Then, Player asks Inn Keeper's assistant to retrieve horse when entering the world, and on every login after is presented with the horse by the assistant. I suppose as long as the player is in town, the Inn Keeper's assistant could provide horse, but I might like it more if player was required to logout at the Inn if they wanted easy access to horse upon next login.

Home owner servants could do the same thing. Heck make it so any servant in any house is able to retrieve anyone's horse given to any servant, through their servants guild.

These might not be the best ideas, but I think there's probably a good option between (1) and (2).

enderandrew and Tahru like this.
  11. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

WoW. On behalf of the team - all 15 of us (edit: 17 now!)Thank you Lord British, and thank you Community!! Seriously, still floors me. Congrats to the community as a whole for helping us make it possible! And, we promise to keep it going, only getting bigger and better from here!

I have to admit that I got the biggest chuckle out of "Doing sermons on the virtues" ... Yes, thats what I am doing ~grins with a wink~ Sermons on the "Virtues"... Every Saturday! If he believes in it, then most certainly it must not be a bad thing to follow the "virtues" I do sermons on ~winks~ <3

Tarsin, smack, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  12. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I managed to keep the Nightmare I GM'd taming on alive all the way to Publish 16 when you could finally Bond with them to become eternal; and whilst I was proud of that achievement, it also meant that most amazing pets, the ones with high end stats, or excessive rarity hardly ever left the stables... especially the ones that could be deleted by GMs on sight, like Medusa-Hued dragons and illegally tamed Ancient Wyrms! And a pet that can't roam the world with it's owner is not much of a pet at all. So, I wouldn't like to see perma-death here for any creature. Let them die, take stat loss even like in UO, but not be gone forever.

I also want to see vanity pets be able to be locked into a house and wander around freely even when the owner isn't there; is this a feature we're getting yet, do we know?

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I believe I've seen it mentioned that you'll be able to place pets in your home.

However, right now we're seeing performance hits from player decorations in homes already. Will there be an even greater performance hit for a town with 100 player homes, each with multiple pets that want to move around?

Logain and Tahru like this.
  14. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I don't think the LOD (Level of Detail) for items has been done yet, which will be leading to the major performance issues we're seeing; what that roughly means is that, at every possible angle and distance, it's rendering every single item in it's highest polygon/detail state, where as the final game will have long distance, simpler and easier to render versions of items too. Once enough items have simpler forms the lag graphics lag will come down again. Now I'm on a low end system myself too, so I suffer badly from it, but I have faith house pets won't add to that as such, but it will require a bit of extra coding as they'd need to be treated like town NPCs and have some basic pathfinding (walk into table, turn around and walk elsewhere) and some of them can fly on top (the ravens, which I plan to pick 3 of from my rewards)...

enderandrew likes this.
  15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I think it is funny how much we all Focus on those new Stretch Goals, but no one cares about the Standing of the Kickstarter Stretch Goals.

smack and Joviex like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Been saying this for a bit actually.

smack, Tarsin and Joviex like this.
  17. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

I've got the rum covered mate!

'Tis true and a good suggestion, but Captain Jack is under the impression that if the game is actually successful in pulling in a large crowd then the majority of people will have neither house nor servants... Or were you proposing some sort of HoaS(Horse as a Service) where anyone can use any house servant, not sure Captain Jack understood that part!

18. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Haha -- Horse as a Service; I like it. I was suggesting both actually, for maximum convenience when logging in and out without actually go so far as having a summon horse spell. Anyone and everyone could use any available servant, or Inn Keeper's assistant to fetch their horse.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

[​IMG]
    I will not be anyone's
    service!

20. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Fair enough. Spell good. HoaS though, Captain Jack still believes that you should at least be in the same town as your horse and servant in order to get. Can't jump in owls head and have your house servant grab his horse from kingsport for example. Unless the devs are drinking the same rum Captain Jack is while they write this code :p

Tarsin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.