Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gathering - Survey Why?

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Weins201, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

In the Gathering Trees they all Start with Survey?

Field Dressing - the animla is dead at you feet so this really needs to be changed into something that actually has meaning.

Foraging - This is about the ONLY one that actually seems to have values since the Mandrake, and Ginseng are soo small they are hard to see in a Green Field but ATM thyere is no difference if level 1 or 10 ?

Forestry - another kinda pointless on since all the trees that are harvestable are Burnt Orange Pine trees that can be seem all trhe was across the map?

Mining - Copper sitck out from across the map? Iron Ore kinda hides but again the levels don't seem to make a difference, also Sulpherous ash is also hidden and doesn't show up more with higer levels?

So in general what is the bonus, Gonna be a Glow? I would prefer that all the resources look the same as their surroundings and as one goes up in level the actual color changes. -

Forestry - So like trees instead of being a burnt orange Pine Tree they would look like all the others but at level 1 they would grey out a bit going from light grey to Darker ALMOST Black at level 10

Mining - Start as same color as the surrounding stone (maby 1 shade off) Iron would show like it does now just getting Darker as one goes up in level - Copper can instead of that BRIGHT Orange (Maybe level 10) start much more subdued. COpper would be much more hidden in sandy areas, where iron would hide in normal stone :)

Gathering - Plants same color as surrounding but as one goes up in level thet get Darker (Brighter) of the actual color of the item (Ginseng / Whitish, Black Pearl / Dark Purple, Nightshade / fusia w/ green, etc)

Gardening and Field Dressing need this skill just plain changed - perhaps to a spoilage / disease / rot level at level 1 you would get tainted meat, or rotten fruit and at level 10 pure goods ?

Moonshadow, Themo Lock, Tahru and 4 others like this.
  2. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I have actually learned to skin an animal while it's hanging from from it's feet. It not east and it's different things to think about (I don't know from experience told been told while learning) between the different animal due to body difference. I might not be talented at this but it's not easy. But skinning an animal that just lying on the ground, that must really be hard, quarter it is easy done that a lot of times but that way you do not get any skin left behind you can work with. The exemption is rabbits, they are so small so you do not hang them in their feet, they have other issues to be skinned due to they are so small but any way.

I don't think all animal should have same difficult level, size, hardness of skin, fur (Specially if you are are inexperience as me the longer the fur is the harder in can be to skin properly), should make a difference. They do not need to make it realistic of any thing, animals in SotA do not need to have same skin types as on real world but they could have some difference between them.

Tahru likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You are talking about the skinning all I was talking about was the Survey , locating the animal.

I feel they should have difficulty as for different animal and I am sure they doo but as for Survey - :)

Tahru likes this.
  4. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Field Dressing and Gardening could have instead of "Survey" possibly "Harvest Quality" this could vary with amount and quality of goods removed from animal.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Hoooo sorry misunderstood, to early in the morning to post really..

mikeaw1101 and Tahru like this.
  6. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

NOOICE! good points. in a way, i want something akin to a glow : think about it, if you are a high level forager, when u go walking, your mind (in reallife, simulated here) would really be keen on seeing different plants. you would have all these different functions coordinated , memory pages flipping of what you have read a plant looks like, a sense of where things can grow, so quickly and subconsciencely take in info from so many factors - that's a bit hard to replicate in sota, so these are really great workarounds. a glow pinpointing items or maybe simply a text line when you enter that says "you notice right away a wet spot for ginsing to the left..." "you smell sulpher....."as you near nodes... your MIND would be doing this if you were walking past it in real life...

The Hendoman

Tahru likes this.
  7. sammakonkorvat

sammakonkorvat Avatar

I like your ideas Weins201. Higher level surveying could also enable you to see the glow of a node from further away than normal. Since this is a game and the developers might not want to make starting out too annoying, it probably will not be as "hardcore" as you suggest. I personally wouldn't mind that though.

All of the skills are not fleshed out properly at this stage of development, so that can also make many of them look useless at this point.

Tahru and Laila like this.
  8. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I guess in theory Survey in skinning could show you animal carcasses not left by you that you may stumble upon (wolf killed by skeleton for example, or killed by another player who then died or mysteriously for whatever reason didn't harvest it). But in my experience corpses have been pretty easy to see so not sure how useful it would be.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I would have liked nodes that are invisible at low Survey skill and which require you to have a high survey skill to find.
    Not for all nodes mind you but for some.

That way a novice survey might find 3 nodes in a scene while a journeyman might find 4 and a master might find 6.
    Then it would/could pay of.

devmight, 4EverLost, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  10. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Yes, yes, and yes! I had the same thought a week back and Spoon shows that great minds do indeed think alike. This would make so much more sense then being able to "see" the node/plant/tree from further away. Speaking for myself, I couldn't see myself investing points into surveying over say refining or smithing)... if I want to see more ore, I'll just get closer and save the points for those other skills instead. If I were able to "see" 10, 20, or 30% more nodes, I'd definitely try to fill up the surveying skill.

I know it's a work in progress but I don't think that surveying will be used much if it remains as is. Still not sure how skinning fits into this (or either) idea, though.. would need to find another level 1 option to puts points in for that skill.

Sara Dreygon

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Small note, if you want your forum avatar name to match your in game avatar name you can change your "nick".
    Top right corner, click your user name, select avatar, fill in your pass etc and find the "nick" line.

12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

13. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Sara Dreygon!

14. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

To make Survey skill valuable it's necessary to randomize resource locations and make them procedurally generated.
    I.E. any piece of rock may have randomly created mining zones. At zero Survey level it's the same texture as rock (ore vein layer is transparent) and player can only find them with pixel hunting, but with each level up the spot changes tone (ore layer transparency decreases)

Otherwise all resources locations will be known which will stimulate stupid grind by hopping from map to map in rotation and farming respawning resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.