General feedback on Why things are so ehhh . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This is quit simple, and take this look from any new player . .

I have been here a LONG time. I have seen the game progress from Infancy.

Today I decided to make a new Quiver to take advantage of the ability to MW / Enchant a back slot item.

When Launched this was an oversight, not to big a deal but after 2 weeks of QA should it have taken 24 hours to get these included?

Now I find I do not have the recipe in my book to make a Quiver? Ok not a big deal. Here are my choices now; I ask a friend who has it and if it is reteachable I have them teach me? ((Ok why not make it learnable then??))

However I am still true to my nature and go out and see if I can find it? I travel to brit and cannot find a tailor. I did find a Weapons Merchant and a Crafting Merchant, Neither of these seem to have ANY recipes at all for anything? Ok again, I understand I must find a tailor. BUT I cannot locate one on the row of shops? And if I ask an NPC it does not compute?

Soo I zoom in on the map, I find a merchant Ally off I goo . . . I travel all the way there and find a Tailoring stall but no tailor :-(

So I decide I will try another town - Soltown a long travel but I remember there where a lot of NPC there? . . . . Soltown was a bust found a Tanner not a tailor.

Ardoris I am close . . . .Found the Tailor and the Leather Quiver recipie :) yeah.

Now to travel back and make a few.

As a new player do you see how frustrating this oculd be? Imagin if I was even later in the day and they were asleep :-(

just one of the many things that you can see make things ehhhh.

When I craft are the materials going to give me properties? I will update when done

Thwip, Chatele, K1000 and 16 others like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

No. In fact, you will not even get the 1 DR that you get from other back items.

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Could also just ask in universal chat where the recipe is. We help people find (or just train them) all the time there.

4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I feel your pain. I really do. Some people might dismiss your topic because it seems petty (and the title), but I totally get it.

I've come dangerously close to rage quitting trying to find an onion. 45 minutes and four cities later, I came upon that rarest and most precious of all treasures!

I've taken a lot of things on the chin. I've filled half full glasses and tinted my glasses pink. I endured a nearlg week-long malaise where I got totally disgusted with playing Lord British Presents: Elder Timber Wolf Hunting Simulator!

But the onion thing was beyond ridiculous. I thought that nothing could be worse than that............. until I needed potatoes.

Folks might have a lot of pithy responses about this kind of bizarre world building, but new players don't. How many new.players came and went in the years before universal chat and teleporting around?

It's just an onion, man.

Thwip, Chatele, Leostemplar and 7 others like this.
  5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Yeah, well, that's just like... uh, your onion, man.

But in all seriousness, I can sort of see what they were going for in terms of discoverability and making the world feel big n' mysterious. But all tailors should have all tailoring recipes in my opinion. In UO if I wanted to do a thing related to tailoring, I went to the tailor. I feel like it's artifical or contrived mystery.

Maybe super rare stuff could only be found on certain NPCs, but surely not the basics.

Another thing I noticed yesterday is that one of the Ardoris Crown merchants near the PV has some of the Shogun housing, while the guy in the bank has all of them. I know to do my research, but what if a noob spent some CotOs on a Shogun house from the first guy only to later realise there was a better choice on the bank vendor?

6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

A key issue that a lot of people have mentioned on both sides of the table: you must use an external resource to find basic things that shouldn't be hard to find.

And therein lies the rub in my opinion.

If you want to find a rare artifact, then travelling the land, speaking to NPCs, and generally solving the mystery is de rigeur. The result is satisfying. I bought a duck and I regret nothing.

If you want to do basic crafting but you can't find what you're looking for, it's frustrating. You can't begin the thing that you want to do until after you do an unrelated activity.

One is a gameplay feature. The other is a gameplay blocker. One is enjoyable while the other is frustrating. One encourages exploration while the other coerces it.

:oops:

P.S., running from farmer to farmer begging for onions (many of whom erroneously have onions on their tables!) isn't exploration.

Thwip, Chatele, Leostemplar and 5 others like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Every town should have groceries. I've bitched about it before.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah the vegetables being spread out across the land is a bit crazy, and frustrating. I’ve been there too.

But now I just grow everything I need now.

Leostemplar and Synergy Blaize like this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Go buy seeds from Britanny and get some planters and grow your food. It's not that hard !

NO to Easy mode !!

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Pssst... over here... http://sotawiki.net for all your info needs! I just googled for "sotawiki onions" (yes, regular Google) and got this http://sotawiki.net/sota/Onion

That ain't nothing. FFXI is almost completely unplayable without keeping the wiki close at hand, at least where quests are concerned, and they got a lot of players, if not quite as many as WoW.

Alley Oop likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you don't even need to go to google first!
    /sotawiki onion

Elwyn, Jaesun and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

TY but toally miss the point and the sme mind set of a lot of people here that just do not get it or care.

The game is way to convoluted in so many ways that should be E A S Y. The Recipie I was looking for is reteachable, should be learnable, but unless I go onto a website, or get help there is just too much that can not be accomplished.

"PLAYING" the game is almost impossible, that is the point. sure one can always "FIND" help but should not have to to just make somthign as trivial as a Quiver.

Oh and in the end the parts give zero benefits, Such a waste of such a "creative / ingenuitive" crafting systems to be just blehhh

Chatele and Leostemplar like this.
  13. Malakie

Malakie Avatar

I am in agreement with many posts here.. I have spent the last 4 days literally trying to get enough Gem pieces to make 1 single gem so that I can make ONE dungeon entrance... I mean really? Not only is it near impossible to find a full gem, it is near impossible to even figure out WHERE to find EACH of the needed types as well. Spending 4 days real time and still not finding any hint of what I need for a couple gem types, is getting old fast.. Additionally, it also does not help that we can't make journal entries, or notations on our in maps in game or that so many scenes still do not have maps... Yea, four days of this and I am a bit frustrated because all I wanted to do was make a damn dungeon entrance.. just one to start... and I can't even do that because I am spending all my hours in game running around trying to find that one little spot that you can camp for 12 hours just to get half of the one type thing you need out of all the ingredients....

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

You can get gems from going to Mines and finding the large crystals and mining them. I'm not even going to tell you how many gems I have in chests in my house because it will probably make you cry, lol.

I feel your pain as a newbie trying to find certain items. use /sotawiki for where those things are, ask for help from players in game that might have surplus stuff, and treat it as part of the fun of the game, that's my advice.

Also if you friend me in game I can probably spot you the gems you need.

15. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

For a new player to go to an external source, they first have to divine the notion that onions are location locked items, exclusive and limited to omly strategic locations.

New players will go to farmers for onions and to the relevant craftspeople for basic recipes.

When given a large, immersive world, people will always prefer to do things in the world.

I know that you guys are trying to be helpful, but we know about sotawiki. We know about it because we got frustrated. Frustration and leaving the game to use player made resources shouldn't be, though.

There are a lot of things that need to be sought and that's fine - that's a feature - but basic components and recipes shouldn't be - that's a blocker.

I just wish they would reconsider whether intentional inconcenience is the best way to treat their customers.

Thwip, Leostemplar and Astirian like this.
  16. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Exactly!

It's like it's Arts & Crafts hour and I need a blue crayon but to obtain it... An older kid told me I have to visit the office of records down the hall (we'd be lost without it of course), whereupon I discover that they're stocked by one of the art stores downtown, waaay downtown. Not all the art stores in the city mind you, just this one specific place, which is a shame because there's an art store next door, but it only sells red crayons. At least the big giant gate blocking the path to downtown is optional now!

So I get downtown, but it's HUGE. So I stop a friendly looking person on the street and ask for directions. "Where's the art store?" I inquire. "How peculiar of you to say so." is the sarcastic reply... ... ... "Where IS the art store?" I correct myself. The man then proceeds to troll me "I don't know where that is. Here is a list of everywhere I can direct you to: Post Office Bar Dentist Doctor Gas Station Police station University Fire Station Railway station City Hospital Bus StAtIoN Downtown Bank Movie Studio Golf Course Shopping Mall (that doesn't sell blue crayons) Restaurant Cemetery etc... etc..." - Screw it I'll just use Google Maps... Why is Google Maps not loading? Arg! Arts and Crafts hour is up!!

Would have been nice to just pop into the art store next door. It's OK though, I complained and it turns out the older kid had 17 blue crayons and so he gave me one.

I realise this horribly long-winded analogy makes me an unsupervised giant child but that's probably not far from the truth! :D

Bedawyn, FruityTooty, Thwip and 5 others like this.
  17. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

@Astirian That was a bizarre analogy but it totally clicked - including the map error :D

Leostemplar and Astirian like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Negatory. Forcing someone to be a farmer is not hard mode, it's immersion breaking mode. Going into the grocer and finding they never have certain common items just leads to this thought:

"Dumb. What were they thinking?"

Bedawyn and Leostemplar like this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Pretty sure they were thinking "This is a player driven economy and the players will get items from other players, like everyone demanded during the kickstarter". Another so called 'promise' broken no doubt.

Novia Market, Seonas the farmer, many other places you can get stuff. look around.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No, it's true. Go to Brittany Fields and check out the vegetables for sale there. Seriously is immersion breaking, it takes me way out here where I'm thinking about bad game design instead of cooking up a stew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.