Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Get rid of battle banners

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Gubbles, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

I can't help feeling that something as bright as that would be sure to attract the attention of passing dragons. Whether that is a good thing or not might depend on how fireproof your home is.

Kevin2437, Kara Brae, Budner and 2 others like this.
  2. chunderbun

chunderbun Avatar

I don't mind the banner itself as a deco item, but the light that comes off it is an eyesore. Maybe reduce it down a bit to a subtle glow and leave the control point ones as the beacons of light.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  3. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

• I like the banners myself. Maybe they could offer the banners without the special affect or someway for the owner to turn the light off.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What would be funny is allowing anyone to turn them on and off....for artistic merit of course.

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That is actually a great suggestion. Although one can easily set ones lot to non-public to prevent it.
    Doubleclick to toggle, but right click >[Turn off].

Budner and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

as in, i walk up to it and doubleclick it like a public lamp post, and it turns off?
    would that turn it off for other people, or just for me, when i interact with it?

kind why i'd like a script added to it, most people who are going to use it for a 'capture the flag' or 'control point' type game are going to be in pvp mode or in a pvp town. so why not just allow the glow to be seen if you are flagged for pvp?

the asset without the glow, is nice. i'd get one if it didn't have it. heck, if it just had a plain and subtle light source on it, so its a touch brighter kind of like some pledge capes/swords/helmets are.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    great idea :)

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

which one, the script or the subtle light source?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    the part where you said the light would only be visible if you are flagged for pvp.

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I do plan on toilet papering your generator. I hear that if you catch one of the fins on its upswing it basically does it itself.:rolleyes:

11. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

I dont like Battle Banners for House decorarion too. The glow is over the top and immersion breaking.

amaasing and Tarsin like this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So I was playing a little bit at night and these are just bad....I can handle the messy yards and stuff but these don't make sense....huge pillars of light.

Soulicide, Tarsin and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I do not like the glow of the banners either. I do have a question, however. Please, it is an honest question not designed to cause an uproar. ... What exactly does "immersion breaking" mean? If there are a few steampunk items in the game, is that immersion breaking? If I put my flamingos out front, is that? If someone plays the game naked? If my radio thingie plays rock and roll? If someone accumulates more gold than you?

Isn't the term rather subjective? Anyone can claim "immersion breaking" about anything. If there is a defined environment (not subjectively imagined), then I can get a grip on what immersion breaking means. But without an accepted standard to measure against, I propose that immersion breaking is meaningless.

Budner and Greyfox like this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Immersion breaking is something that is so totally out of wack with the world around you, for instance these banners(which have been toned down - thanks port) would be considered immersion breaking. The radio's sort of fit the lore...the fact people are playing modern music out of them is a bit off putting but I can deal with it by just not clicking the radio.

The thing is, you can't have one side saying you should accept everything without respecting anything they find unappealing. It's funny when people do things like that, doesn't sound much like working together more like that nasty neighbor nobody wants.

Tarsin and Soulicide like this.
  15. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I have a feeling we're going to be stuck with these eye sores and it isn't really going to be a priority to tone them down. I say if we're stuck with them at least make them look and act more like banners, reduce the glow and possibly the size. Currently if someone next to me planted one in their yard, I would just move.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Tarsin likes this.
  16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd be willing to bet my pledge that some dev has seen this and at least one of them are monitoring this thread at this point. they know thre's four pages of hate on the way they're designed, and see how the thread is moving. won't be surprised if they change it in a future release.

devs, if you read this, please put whatever you decide to do about this, on the shortlist.

Tarsin and Soulicide like this.
  17. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Agreed the "battle banners" are lame. Not only that, there are way too many of them! Some town streets look more like "times square" lined with these glowing banners; it is immersion breaking imo.

Tarsin likes this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

They already fixed them guys...they will be toned down and turn off after 30 minutes of no interactivity.

19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

thanks devs! glad i get to keep my pledge now...:)

20. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Toned down, yes. I've already confirmed this on the QA server. But turned off? I left mine in the 'blue' state and came back 2 hours later to find it in the 'red' state, but the light level was still the same irregardless. So, I doesn't appear to turn completely off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.