1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Getting killed by NPCs should cause ransoms

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by OzzyOsbourne, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Who knew a forum topic could generate five pages in a week!

I'd have to vote 'no' on this one.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Here's an idea.....instead of punishing everyone because of bot miners.... why not deal with the botters?
    Just sayin'.

Cyin and FrostII like this.
  4. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Ding! Ding! Ding! Exactly! "Oh, I died and have to pay the Oracle X number of gold to get my gear back, so I could go back, try to kill that XXX again and get 34gold, a loaf of garlic bread, a potion of health and a rusty spoon."

Sorry, PVP'ers talk about Risk vs Reward. There is *NO* reward. If you've come into Sota to get phat lewts and treasure gallour, you're sadly disappointed 99.5% of the time you loot a creature. It's not really worth dying to kill a vast majority of the mobs in game.

5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

And that statement is a symptom of the problem. That's your OPINION. That's how YOU play the game. That's not how everyone plays the game.
    I haven't had to fight a creature in months. I've been playing Sota for the crafting/merchanting aspect of the game, because I haven't had time in RL to commit to hours of mindless murder.
    Does that mean that I should be forced to play the game that YOU think it is? Of course not. You play your game your way, I'll play my game my way.
    But don't come along and say "Everyone should play the game the way I want; when they die, they should be forced to pay gold to get their gear back."
    Want to pay a penalty for dying? Throw gold at a newbie in Soltown. Buy some item off a player merchant and then destroy the item. That should burn up the gold and satisfy the urge for self suffering.

FrostII likes this.
  6. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Oh great idea, why not also let me customize my stats and chose which skills I want at 200. Why stop there? Let me insert how much gold and crowns I want... Let them put an option also for super easy mode that I can check/uncheck at will whenever I want to burn through content so I can leave the game a.s.a.p. when I get bored with how lame it all became. Also would need an ironman mode if all this came to pass. I would also love to have an instant command to kill-all like the GMs so I dont need to struggle at all. Screw the lore and the original idea. I want my cheeseburgers NOW! Forsake every great idea to appease the pitchforks! I love your concept, its amazing and so immersive... cant wait. I really hope they listen to you.

The concept of "time stealing mechanisms" isnt how you should be looking at it though when I rethink about it... I actually wonder if you ever played a game with cheat codes... have you ever noticed that you never play it anymore the moment you lost the "challenge" by getting infinite gold for example?

Also the loss of thrill is clearly apparent now that there is no loss to death. Why not give me GODMODE instead?

Thank you for your consideration.

It's not about punishment, its about making the game an actual game, to live through emotions, to feel the pain of my avatar...

I once came to Sota for the spiritual successor of Ultima Online, where everything you did mattered. When you left a town, you needed to be ready and feel the REAL thrill of adventure.

MasterSlave likes this.
  7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I stated my thoughts above - so asking again will not change it. As to Ransoms coming from PVEers concept of how PVP should work - no... this was Developers concept - as promoted by PVP'ers so that PVP had meaning and it was possible to get things from a kill. This was not about PVP hate from PVE'ers... The only time that rears up is when PVP'ers try to force things on PVE'ers... such as your original suggestion here.

Rowell and FrostII like this.
  8. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Ozzy, basically trying to inflict PVP-style game play (ie Ransom on death) onto PVE play-style is a no-go. PVE'ers don't want it. Not going to happen.
    If you want to pay a gold penalty for death, give gold to a newbie or buy an item from a player vendor and destroy it. That should give you the satisfaction of burning money when you die.

9. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Any link or reference? Because when the creators call it the "spiritual successor of ultima" one can only expect corpse runs. The only reason I would see that changing is because of QQ and pitchforks and like you said, the pvpers are all gone... so I cannot blame them.

10. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Incorrect sir. If you knew your history; most games had corpse runs, a simple look at Everquest, which had no pvp, had corpse runs. Same with Ultima Online... you died, you dropped everything on the corpse. Even Diablo....

11. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

EverQuest you had to run back to your corpse to get your stuff. It was horrible. (and yes, EverQuest *DID* have PVP. You had to flag up with the Priest of Discord).
    Ultima Online also had run back to your corpse to get your stuff. It was horrible.
    Diablo is not even an MMO.

You can't cite 20+ year old games that are so out of the mainstream as a valid reason to inflict your PVP ideals on PVE'ers. Sorry. In pretty much ALL modern MMO's out there, you don't have to run back to your corpse to get your stuff back.

Why don't you make this comment a poll, and see how many PVE'ers want this? I'll bet a vast majority do not.
    Anyways, Chris isn't going to slit his wrists and alienate the majority of his player base to satisfy a tiny minority with a feature no one wants.

12. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

You dont have to state the obvious. I know my opinion is only my opinion, that's what the forum is for, to share it with others. But what you just said is pretty much double edged sword, because right now everybody is playing the game YOUR way. I'm fine with seperating scenes for the ones without punishment, and the ones with death punishment, but also better rewards (scaling difficulty could resolve that matter well, to be honest). Then it is actually your call to decide how you want to play. Damn, I'm fine with many others compromises, just dont act like you even considering one.

13. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Horrible yet millions played the games.....

Its not MY pvp ideals, I thought this game was going to be roleplaying ideals, the option we got (ransoms in pvp) is a dumbed down version to make the non-pvpers happy that wanted to pvp.
    This idea is LORE based.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  14. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Yes...because those were literally the ONLY two mainstream graphical MMO's out at the time. Call it a captive audience.

As I've said several times, if you want to pay a price for dying, be my guest. Give 10k gold to a newbie, or buy an item from a player vendor and destroy it.

Cordelayne, Anpu, Vaiden Luro and 2 others like this.
  15. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

I am a non-PvP player who likes to frequent PvP zones for the dragon prey they hold. I am not there for PvP nor care to partake in any PvP activity... I just want the dragons. I have been ganked numerous times while fighting or skinning a dragon and always think, what kind of a challenge was that for them? Only once after the fact did a player reach out (without me asking) and offer to refund my ransom. I never complain as technically it is a PvP zone, but bumrushing a single player already in combat with a creature with a group of 3 is not PvP (or in the least a challenge for an experienced PvP player) and if not for the dragon prey I seek, that style of behavior just makes me want to visit those areas even less. Still, removing the ransom for PvP I would be in these areas a lot more often.

The main topic here though is some kind of penalty for dying via PvE. I personally try to avoid dying in PvE as much as possible. Much of the fun for me is strategically battling a challenging creature and coming out on top, safe and sound. When I fail, I retool, rethink strategy, and try again. All the suggestions seem to demand removing something already gained which understandably causes tensions. How about applying a debuff that affects future XP coming in for N hours by a certain percentage? Debuffs could stack up to x3.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  16. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

If something like what the OP calls for is implemented, this would be my open-ended response to the game.

Cordelayne, Rowell and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.