Getting Started. . .

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Boo25, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boo25

Boo25 Avatar

I started the game today and was just wondering where is the a major city from the start point? What are good starting areas for grinding and building up skill? I see there is events that go on each day but is there a map that explains where the locations can be found?

majoria70, Acred, Sophi and 5 others like this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Welcome Boo

A few things to know....

The major cities near you will depend on where you started. A good way to find all of them is to use sotamap.com. Better news, this is being integrated into the game in the new release (40) coming out today!

To find scenes that are appropriate to your level, look for their skull difficulty designation. Every scene has a post on the overworld map and inside the entrance which shows 1 to 5 or more skulls. Starting out, look for the 1 skull scenes.

More people can contribute answers to what you need to know here... but the best thing to do is get into the game and have your questions answered real time. Look for people with the "hospitaler" designation. The easiest way to find help is to use the SotA Discord channel.

Feel free to put in a friend request for me in the game. And also friend the other good people who will join in on this post.

Good news is there is tons of help available. Welcome again and have fun!

Acred, Sophi, firesparx and 5 others like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome @Boo25 , this can help allot to know your way around. It's both interactive as well as a great map to have.
    I keep it in my favorites :) I hope it's as valuable to you as it has been for me.

[​IMG]

Map
    https://www.sotamap.com/
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Acred, Sophi, firesparx and 4 others like this.
  4. Womby

Womby Avatar

The answer to your first question depends on where you started: Solace Bridge, Blood River or Highvale. You can find these on SotAmap.com, which is searchable.

If you started at Solace Bridge I recommend making your way first to Soltown, where you will find a number of quests that will reward you with gold and XP. After that the closest big town is Ardoris.

If you started at Blood River I recommend making your way to Aerie, which is the closest large town to Blood River.

If you started at Highvale I recommend making your way to Resolute, which is the closest large town to Highvale.

The biggest city in the game is Brittany, which is split into a number of districts.

If you go to the overworld map you will notice that each adventure scene is marked with a post containing a number of skulls. The more skulls, the more difficult it is. I recommend starting with 1 and 2 skull areas.

If you need gold, the Oracle will give you 500g/day if you give the correct yes or no answer to her test.

The first time you talk to a town crier in any non-adventure scene you will receive 100g.

EDIT: Vyrin beat me to it. :)

Lord Slim, Acred, Sophi and 4 others like this.
  5. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

Size isn't everything.
    The regional cities near the starting areas are better frequented and implemented than some technically larger conurbations.
    For example on a recent trip in search of lemons (don't ask) I went through Brittany which is indeed enormous and very impressive. However the public vendor (sort of like an AH) was empty and the player population seemed sparse.
    In Ardoris, the nearest city to Soltown, the public vendor is pretty full of interesting things.

There are lots of scenes within scenes and a lot of underground ones are reached that way. For example Soltown has an entrance to Soltown Catacombs which is a great place for a new player to explore. Just be careful about the door to Solania Catacombs which is a 2-skull area.

Acred, firesparx and Time Lord like this.
  6. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Welcome to sota boo! we hope you enjoy your stay:) feel free to add me in game(galahad dragonsbane)

Acred, firesparx and Time Lord like this.
  7. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Acred, Sophi, firesparx and 1 other person like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Welcome! If you have any questions in game, send me a whisper at "Starman"

Acred, Time Lord and firesparx like this.
  9. Vero

Vero Avatar

Welcome and enjoy sire!

10. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Welcome Boo!
    You've started on a good day! In a couple hours we're getting Release 40 with many new exciting things you can read about here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ease-40-instructions.84529/page-2#post-782363

This also means that there will likely be more peeps ingame than you would have found say a week ago. All these guys have given you great info. The assistance and information that this community shares is one of the things that is so very awesome about Shroud of the Avatar.

Hope you have a fun and exciting game experience!
    :D

11. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

Hi @Boo25,

Getting started can be pretty daunting at first. However, over time it becomes easier and easier, especially once you understand the XP system. Please add me in-game (Aidenolm Rosemourne) and feel free to ask any questions if you have them at any time!

(It appears your initial questions were answered, so I won't beat a dead horse)

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

All was said, just want to leave a warm welcome to New Britannia and if you want to add me to your Friendlist to ask me for helo or need a healer, just add Stundorn Stureson (i'm originially germanspeaking, but i can try to help in english too)

Have Fun - Stun

13. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game! Patchday; wooot :)

Acred, Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  14. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

i wish to add My Welcome to the game!

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Lord Slim

Lord Slim Avatar

hello there everyone

i just got started the game a few days ago.

i have done all quests in highvale and resolute. now i have to go through a frozen pass. at this point (cause i got my bum kicked out of the next mainquest area) i noticed that there are levels (1-5)

and thats now my problem. how to continue? the next area is lvl 5 and all the other areas near resolute are 3 4 and 5. the next lvl 2 area which i can barely fight to get skill exp i far away in a desert.

now im stuck here still slaing elves and stuff. but i have a weird feeling about my situation i think im doing something wrong.

my advt. lvl is 30

majoria70 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Avatar

Hi Lord Slim,

1. In highvale, there's a lunar rift, that'll bring you to other parts of novia.
    2. Find a high level player to guide you through.
    3. Go the other way. Through nightshade pass. Run as fast as you can down hill. Swim across the lake, and run up the hill to the other side.
    4. Go south towards to a town called Elementum or Braeside Castle (I think). Take a boat to storm's reach. There, find another boat that brings you to Aerie. You are on the other side now.
    5. Just run though the frozen pass. If you die, you ghost through to the other side and find the Ankh to rez. There's no penalty for you at this point.
    6. There should be 1 free pass across to vertas. Anyone can help on this?

and lastly, why not make Soryn Fields your home. :D Talk to the residents and get them to help you across whenever you need to. *whistle*

Lord Slim likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Avatar

Lord Slim likes this.
  18. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

If I remember correctly, the quest that takes you through the pass also grants you free passage.
    Which means that if you talk to the person at the entrance of the pass, he will take you through (by means of teleportation) without even asking for the normal fee.

Lord Slim and Nick like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello Lord Slim. Welcome to the game. Also if you point at the yellow exclamation marks on scenes on the overworld map you can see a lot about the scene. Another way right now to get around is to be able to teleport to people you have added to your friends list. It is another way to get around in this game. I am Majoria in the game if I can ever assist. I would be happy to help. You can also bind to a town crier in any town or many of us have Inns and can help with a place to stay while you find your way. Also this game is set up where some crafting recipes are teachable and re-teachable so before you buy a lot of recipes ask and I as well as many others would be happy to teach you some recipes and the same goes for emotes and emotes are under the 'o' key and Npcs also teach you some of them. So Happy journeys to you. There is so much more to this game than at first can be seen with more coming in every release. :)

Timmy Vortex, Lord Slim and Nick like this.
  20. Lord Slim

Lord Slim Avatar

and again hello to everyone.

im really suprised how quick all the answers came. wanna tank you all so much for the support. i got so much new informations. dk where to start/continue now :D

i will go and check all of it out right now and add some friends to try that teleport out.

My Character is called Slim Rabees.

Thanks again :)

Timmy Vortex and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.