Getting sucked into "encounter" scenes on the world map...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

...is still not fun.

2. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I have to agree. Just a couple of pointless loading screens for me. Although I know some people like the zones for resources or w/e.

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You can just go around them.

Or with coconuts or a fleet flute you can pretty much run right by them as long as you don't get too close.

You can stealth and run right by the troll in that mountain pass too.

Olthadir and Nelzie like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

But that doesn't make them any more fun.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Can't argue with that :D

Sway likes this.
  6. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I've seen people say a few times now that Coconuts will prevent you from getting pulling into these encounters.

I was pulled into one a week or so ago and I was using mine. Hmm....

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Has always been this way and not changes why? because some layers accept them and actually use them.

They had so much potential but are now just the same old nuisance as they first were.

Make them Scaled to the player so if you are level 50 it is tier 4 - 6, 50 - 100 tier 5 - 7, . . .

Give them a purpose, or a reason and something other than just run to other side.

If you are waylaid by Skeletons, they progressive spawn to a lich. You are drawn into an under world like the hell scene in Constantine. You HAVE to kill a lynch pin, like clearing a siege to get out. Of course if you stay on the trail it should stay very easy. If you try and run around it or thru it and caught much harder.

There does not need to be special loot, but perhaps a the bandits have also captured a supply Caravan, if you just leave they ransack the caravan. If you help the caravan you get a reward?

There used to be a special merchant that "caught your eye" have not seen him in ages.

Wolves same make them werewolves or anything.

The simple "something caught your eye" is (sorry but) weak.

So much potential. If we have to suffer a loading screen at least make them worth some time and effort to work thru.

By Tor, sarbonn and Tiki Pirate like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The coconuts used to make you move a little faster on the world map (which helped get you around those encounters). In R52, they made movement on the world map without the coconuts the same speed as it is with the coconuts, so the coconuts are now only useful when in a scene.

Nelzie and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  9. Sway

Sway Avatar

I hate the whole dynamic. It's lame and annoying

10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I actively run towards the bandits whenever I see them. Come on... a free chest in every scene with those guys... and you usually don't even have to fight them all to get to it.

Lace, Retlaw, Olthadir and 9 others like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I actually like them. I mainly use them for when I’d rather conserve on scrolls and wait for a Lunar Rift to a specific location. I run in there to kill a little time till the Rift is at my desired location.

They are really easy to avoid even without the coconuts. At least for me....

12. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

I hate them, just 2 more screens that I have to sit thru, the part of this game I hate the most. I thought they said like 2-3 years ago they were going to make them better/ I don't see any changes. personally I would love for them to just go away.
    That or make them into unique encounters, no 2 the same and rotate them around so it is a surprise every time you go into one.. Some should require a group of players and be extremely hard and take awhile, others no so much, maybe have them provide some benefit for defeating the bad guys. Like for 24 hours you have a buff or a chance to grow some crops at a much fast rate, or after killing bad guys at a high rate for a given period of time, it becomes a PVP zone controlled by your group, were others can come in and try to wipe your group out to take control of the encounter until a champ or boss pops up out of a cave or comes flying in.

Kill him and rewards like a treasure chest popping with nice loot and a host of even tougher bad guys spawning that provides a bigger challenge and better loot each time you level up the spawn generator.
    Other groups can come in and wipe your crew out and contimue to hold the encounter until the next boss, dragon pops and begins raining holy hell down on them. Like back in the champ spawns days of UO. That was always an interesting night for the guild to go and try to run one until the boss spawned. Would fill up a couple hours of time and everyone walked away with something.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Siobahn likes this.
  13. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I think the concept is fine, but like much of the game, there's a lot to build onto in regards to this idea (I know those of us who were around for the Kickstarter are still waiting to see the roaming dragon).

Depending on what my mood is for the time, some play sessions I will specifically seek out the encounters as my main content for the day. Generally this is limited to Forest Road (Silver and Iron ores) and Plains Road (Gold and Copper ores) encounters as the Open Plains encounter is a bit "meh" for me. The ROads encounters allows me to take a specific circle around the zone, kill the creatures, harvest the resources and move on to the next one.

However, in regards to the thread itself, I think the Team needs a bit more feedback than "it's not fun".

Ok, they're "not fun"... what would make them, in your opinion, "fun"?

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well they did add an NPC in one encounter who maybe gives you something and we do have the troll encounter and I heard tell the corpion encounter could offer something to do;). I did hear of a dragon coming but I haven't verified if it is in game yet.

For me I do occasionally use encounters to gather a few resources. I feel it's a good place to just pick up a variety of them if I run through a few of them and it's just me on there.

I still wish for them to continue to work on them but I think a little is being done here and there on things as they can get to it. I don't really want them removed and they aren't getting me as easily as they were at first. So that when I don't want to go into them I can avoid but I do think they should be a special experience in some ways giving Quests or adding something other to us being taken into them. Completing one now has no reason or benefits added to it. Avoiding one has no consequence not saying it should, but reasons are important and there is none given when taken in to the encounter and very little completion notices except occasionally hidden in our chat windows not from encounters though since they have little reasoning added to most.

We have no sound notifications for things completed that I've ever heard. It seems to be missing and is a necessary basic we don't yet have.

Edited

Lace, Olthadir and Andrew Silverston like this.
  15. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I can verify the dragon in stag plains encounter.. took me 5 times dying to reach the border... I guess it is Developers humor....

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Some of the most enjoyable moments of SotA have been when a bandit or skeleton on the road were apparently distracted and didn‘t react as I ran by. It was heavenly!

To be fair, sometimes I don‘t mind the encounters, but sometimes I get 4 or 5 in a row.

Olthadir and FrostII like this.
  17. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

I've personally always found it more of an annoyance even before you could see the mobs on the overworld (though the random dragon encounter was a nice shock). Once you hit a certain adventure level they just are a nuisance and an addition of 2 more of the long loading screens i think we all hate as is.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  18. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I gues if the loadingscreen would last less than 5 seconds we all would cherish them! (Ok we would not dislike them much)

Oyjord Hansen, Sway and Barugon like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wouldn't bet on this happening though.

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If only you could see them up ahead and walk around them. Or use something like Silent Movement to provide you the useful status of Not Being Seen.
    Here is an educational film on the topic:

Now I will agree that is a problem, if you've been inside long enough for the overworld encounter to respawn, then it'll be there when you come out. Especially since you have movement blocked for a moment, while the encounter mob can still aggro to you. You can get sucked in even before you have a chance to move away. Of course you can simply go out again, but it can be hard to resist the OCD urge to defeat the new encounter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.