Getting sucked into "encounter" scenes on the world map...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If you are concerned that there might be a dragon around, it might be wise to look around for evidence of a dragon, such as piles of ash and scales on the ground.

Sannio, Jaesun and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I do not understand really why loading times for such small maps are as long as the one of central britannia
    TR
    The first hint i got was an roar and flames...well for a very brief moment at least.

Barugon likes this.
  3. uosylence

uosylence Avatar

These encounters really make me angry. The game tells me "you see something that interests you..." and then sucks me in. However I DO NOT see something that interests me. Don't tell me I see something that interests me. I see something I want to avoid, but can not out run. The agro range is way to big.

Solution:
    Move them off the main roads and lower the agro radius a lot so we don't get sucked in, but people who like them can go seek them out.

Kara Brae and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  4. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

What they could do to make them better is not have the skeletons and bandits on the actual road. If they were in the woods at least you could dodge them better unless you want to fight them in which case great, go get em!

More variation would be nice, like an angry obsidian troll encounter in the woods. Or perhaps a lich or ghosts at night in a spooky forest.

Spiders nests in the woods or a mongbat ambush on the road.

Bigg likes this.
  5. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

This.

uosylence likes this.
  6. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

A better text would be:
    „You are ambushed, because you crossed a dangerous zone with closed eyes. You could have easily avoid this if you have travelled with open eyes and some attention.“

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I don't think that's true. When I equip my coconuts on world map, I run noticeably faster than without them.

If you are wearing light armor, have a decent skill level in "Swiftness", equip your coconuts, and play a fleet flute... you zip around the world map pretty quickly and can avoid the encounters with ease. In fact, I usually run up to them and drag them away from other players whenever possible, just because I know they have no chance of catching me.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

[edit] Just to be clear, I've tested this extensively and the coconuts do absolutely nothing for your movement speed now on the world map.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

they should add a final fantasy style music and effect whenever we get sucked into an encounter... :)

10. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

A lot of great ideas in this post, but this one alone I can't recommend enough. Most of the time I completely avoid these encounters just because I know I'll be seriously murdered in the higher end encounters.

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Level Silent Movement up to 80, and use coconuts to travel. Its quite easy to walk around them this way, and even if they follow you, you can lead them into trees and then dash back to the road quickly.

Another tactic I use is with Sprint skill. I have 80 Sprint, and I have it locked to my combat bar. When I exit a scene, I first go into combat mode, and charge Sprint all the way. This makes it last a couple of minutes. Then I am literally sprinting across the overworld map, and nothing can catch me.

Another tactic is drink a potion of wolf speed before exiting a scene. Its like having the Dash skill around level 40, and lasts 10 minutes. You can also combine this with the Sprint method I mentioned above, for blazingly fast overworld map speed.

12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I timed it after the post saying they don’t change the speed, and it’s true, they do not change the speed

13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, they increased the base movement speed to match what you could get with coconuts before on the world map....

But putting them on now makes you even faster than before. This change did not make coconuts "not work" on the world map. They still add a slight speed boost on top of the increased base move speed.

Nelzie, Elwyn and Jaesun like this.
  14. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Hmm, that's strange then because I have a "travelling deck" that when I equip it I wear all my run speed boost equipment and 1 of my coconuts. I start playing my fleet flute and start running... then I equip my second coconut and I then see a noticeable speed increase once the 2nd coconut is equipped and I get the gallop animation.

Nelzie and Jaesun like this.
  15. golruul

golruul Avatar

Agree with OP: road encounters are not fun and, worse, just waste a user's time. Yeah I can (and do) go around them, but to do that you need to get off the fast road. So, in other words, you waste more time just to avoid a waste of time.

In general, there's three reasons to do some adventure in an MMO/RPG: xp, loot, and story. I'm level 80+, so beating up tier 1 road bandits gives completely irrelevant xp. Loot is well-known to be garbage. Story isn't applicable to encounters, so there goes that reason. So you're left with a waste of time being frequently thrust on the player.

Even if they make the encounters scale to player's level and make the resources as a tier 5 zone, there's still no reason to do it over, say, Deep Ravenswood or something, considering the loading screens you have to endure and considering you probably just want to get to another zone.

Road encounters need something unique.

The pilgrim thing could have been worthwhile, but the devs shot themselves in the foot by limiting it to one completion per town. Having a, say, 5% chance of the turn in giving the equipment would have been a worthwhile enough reason to endure the road encounters.

16. Grimsley

Grimsley Avatar

I'd enjoy them more if there was a chest or a higher chance of getting a deed drop or coto drop

Matt Harris likes this.
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There is a chest in the Tier 2 Bandit encounter.

Nelzie and Grimsley like this.
  18. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

I have much the same thing, except my only speed boost item is the coconuts. The animation seems to increase in speed, but I have made several runs from soltown to solace bridge and back, and with or without the gallop, it takes me thirteen seconds to make the trip.

Jaesun and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  19. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

OK, I have to retract all of my previous statements. I guess I saw the gallop animation and thought I was moving faster, however, the actual speed does not change when equipping coconuts now.

I opened up Umuri's SOTA HUD and reviewed my stats for both MoveSpeed and MoveRate and neither of those changed when equipping Coconuts. I tested this both on the World Map and inside a POT scene and neither test showed any changes when putting on and taking off 1 of the coconuts.

I did see changes in the MoveSpeed stat when I used the Dash skill and when playing the Fleet Flute on SOTA HUD, so I know this test would show a speed boost if the coconuts were still working.

So, my conclusion is that equipping coconuts does NOT do anything except make you look like you are galloping. At this point, I guess there is no sense in carrying them around unless you want that look. Sorry for misleading anyone if I did.

20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

No worries. As I said earlier, I had believed the same until I tested it.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.