Getting sucked into "encounter" scenes on the world map...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

This is still true. NPC movement rates are constant on the overworld and they can't be slowed down by crossing into forests, swamps, etc.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

This is the main thing that frustrates me with roving encounters at the moment. That and the fact that some encounters seem to pull me in from a distance rather than at an obvious point of contact. And I'm sure this is true for other players, too.

I don't necessarily mind if some encounters -- ie. wolves -- are faster than me and can catch up. Flying encounters would probably make sense to have little hindrances. I would probably like if some encounters -- ie. spiders -- only appeared in short range because of stealth or other reasons and so could pop up and surprise me.

But there is a big WYSIWYG factor here that I think is important. Its frustrating if it looks like you should be able to run away from something or sneak away from something, but can't.

3. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

This is mainly because of lag. There's a gap between your movement and the server "registering" your new position before the mob catches you (hence why when you come out of the encounter, you can get out on a different spot). If you are into single player or (i guess) party multiplayer, this tends to diminish by large. What to do? Well, try to sneak behind the mobs, they won't see you from behind.

But what really concerns me are the loading times. I don't face much issue cause i got a really powerful nvme SSD (3GB/s) but i know of many people still facing unwanted "breaks" for the game. There has been much progress on that, but I sense it should improve more yet to be an enjoyable experience.

[edit] a (much more) expensive solution? Ge a fleeting flute. You'll run faster than most mobs, even on uneven terrains.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

At least the troll encounter to the West of Brightbone Pass will have some purpose in R53 other than annoying players.

5. smack

smack Avatar

I've seen this happening while playing offline mode.

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm going to say it again, learn Silent Movement and use it. You can't walk right through an encounter but you can still go close without being seen. And if you're on a road and do get seen, you will likely already be past it and able to get away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.