Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Getting tons of CTDs

Discussion in 'Release 27 Dev+' started by smack, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

2/21/2016 11:19 AM
    Title: Getting tons of CTDs
    Reproduction Rate: 7/10
    Blocker? Yes
    Details: Upon clicking Launch or entering the Lunar Rift, I'm getting numerous crashes to desktop (CTDs)
    Steps to Reproduce: Run the client and click Launch or enter the Lunar Rift from the Isle of Storms (my destination was Highvale). One interesting thing I noticed was that if I clicked on Launch immediately, I could trigger the CTD more often than if I waited 30-90 seconds. For the CTD seen in Isle of Storm, I was getting it 6 times in a row and was forced to use Start on Overworld to get into the game.
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16365
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X GPU RAM: 24251
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.325.Date.02.19.16
    Area: IsleofStorms
    Loc: (46.9, 17.9, 27.4)

Acred and Scrambler like this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. We are investigating this issue further. We're having difficulty reproducing the problem locally. I might ask if a full reinstall of the game would resolve this issue for you. Otherwise, you might wait until the next patch goes live to see if the issue resolves itself then for you. We will keep looking into this to isolate a potential cause.

Additionally, any further information you can provide about a cause would help us tremendously. If there's anything about how you're running the client that might lead to why you're seeing a problem that we're not. Are you by chance running multiple instances of the client? Thanks again. We'll keep investigating.

3. smack

smack Avatar

No additional instances, just one at a time. I also check to see if there are any orphaned SotA processes but there aren't. I've seen those in the past but not in this series of CTDs.

Also, one additional bit of info: for the CTDs seen from the launcher, it's the "Fatal error in GC" crash. The crash from Isle of Storm doesn't show that error. And I just got the CTD from Isle of Storm when using the Rift to go to Highvale again. I'll try a clean reboot and perhaps fresh uninstall/reinstall to see if that helps.

Acred likes this.
  4. Attenwood

Thanks for the additional information. Just tested some more for both launch as well as the Highvale rift portal. Still working as intended here. Keep us up to date if any of your actions resolve the issue, otherwise the next patch might help. Thanks for reporting.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Completely clean uninstall/reinstall, clean reboot, even updated drivers to latest (they were only one minor revision behind). Still crashed on double clicking on the Lunar Rift to try to enter Highvale.

So it looks like I'll never be able to start in Highvale from the Isle of Storms. For the time being, I told Arabella I'll be a mage instead and was able to go to Blood River without it crashing.

Acred likes this.
  6. Attenwood

Thanks for the update. Once the next Patch goes out, please keep us informed if this issue reoccurs for you.

7. smack

smack Avatar

I'm still getting the crash with 328 (tried 5 times, got 5 crashes). I also tried SPO and FPO but that didn't make a difference. For whatever reason, Battle of Highvale is problematic. I'm able to go to Solace Bridge and Blood River.

Acred likes this.
  8. Attenwood

Escalating issue for review. Thank you for reporting.

9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

@smack, Last few Unity builds have been super sloppy for pretty much all builds. I hate to sound like a bad support guy but can you make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers, the ones from Nvidia not the WHQL version that windows installs.

Alley Oop likes this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I updated to the latest but I was still getting them. I'll try another clean install tonight, perhaps on a different drive too. Will do some more troubleshooting tonight.

Acred likes this.
  11. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It would also be interesting to know if the current Live build is exhibiting the same behavior for you, or not.

Acred likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Just patched to the latest 329 and still getting the crash. The Live build (via Steam) is not getting the crash. I created a new character using my other account and was able to go to the Battle of Highvale from Isle of Storms on Live (R26).

Will continue to troubleshoot...

Acred likes this.
  13. Chris

Great news @smack! We were able to get a crash log that showed what the issue is. It is a Unity issue but I think I can work around it. Going for the hail Mary now.... Hope to have it in the first live build.

14. Chris

Ok, thanks to this reproducible crash I think we were able to address all the common crashes we were seeing on zoning. Everyone send smack some good karma and like all his posts for a week. BTW, we just the sanity testing on the QA build and the Live builds are going. That means that BurningToad is going to be up all night baby sitting the build process so give him a few likes while you're at it. Oh, and as usual, Chaos rules and there were 13,000 files changed today... the day of THE build and our first QA build to pass a sanity test did so at 12:45AM on the day of launch! Woohoo for Chaos! :O

Just for comparison, on Tabula Rasa from the time from when you made a change until it hit live was at least 60 days but usually more like 90. We're closer to 90 minutes than 90 days. :p

Gurney2, Jack Knyfe, Lum and 5 others like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Many thanks @Chris and team for all your hard work. Name your favorite booze and a case shall be on its way.

Attenwood, Beli, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  16. Chris

We might need it but I think you're the one who deserves it for helping push the issue early enough so we had time to address it before live! We were here till 2AM last night and I think between BurningToad and myself, we got about 4 hours sleep combined! BTW, thank to BT, the builds did finish on time! Testing them all now but so far, so good. The QA build from last night didn't crash once in our usual sanity test on all 3 platforms! Woohoo... Also now have some serious action items for Unity as well.

17. Chris

BTW, I just logged in, zoned to Ardoris->Owlshead->Aerie->Kingsport->Braemar->Ardoris... repeated the loop 5 times. First off, 25 big, heavy populated map loads with no crashes (QA has said zero crashes on any platform as well) but also, performance on the 6th time to Ardoris was WAY better than it was on the first trip last release. Memory was flat and quickly rotating the camera was hitch free even on my relatively weak Nvidia 550 with 1GB. Yah, it appears that the Hail Mary fix yesterday also addressed that nasty hitch from rotating your camera in crowded scenes.

smack, Gurney2, Oba Evesor and 2 others like this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

Excellent work! I created a new character and was finally able to enter Battle of Highvale from the Isle of Storms.

Chris likes this.
  19. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

[​IMG]

smack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.