Ghosts are jerks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Themo Lock, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Speaking of ghosts being jerks!

2. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Well, I just had my first run-in with a ghost in Ruins of Ravensmoor. At first I was scoffing about all the hype, thinking surely everyone was simply overreacting but within a few 'slurps' of life drain I was dead as a doornail. I was intent on exploring the ruins so I decided to run for the nearest new door when ever I encountered a ghost in a room, hoping to outrun it and it's little tendril of death. Of course, this tactic didn't last very long and made for some hectic, pointless exploration and a lot of cracked armor. I don't like to be the whiny type, but in terms of game mechanics and balance the ghosts seem unintentionally powerful to me. Some of these points have probably already been brought up but here's my two cents:

1. Their life tap needs a longer cool down, especially if it's going to be AoE. Right now it feels so OP it simply seems broken.
    2. It would make sense for them to at least drop Ecoplasm, maybe 6-8 wads of the stuff since it doesn't make sense for them to drop gold or anything else material. It would make the challenge of defeating them worth the effort even with a little nerf.
    3. Respawn timer is ridiculous. Just seems broken.

Can someone enlighten me how well Banish Undead works against Ghosts in R15 before I go running off to the skill trainer? I'm level 25 and my lvl 20 companion and I would like to explore our first dungeon. Do we need more people simply to get beyond these pesky ghosts? How do you even efficiently form a group with no means of in-game communication on a more global scale?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

lol it is the noobs fault really, I mean who follows a perfect stranger into the sewer? :p

4. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

I think the idea of having them in the position they are in (to be a psuedo challenge to players below level 30) and somewhat more of a content blocker (really) since all they do is what a basic condom does. Blocks your progress, prevents propegation, and hinders your resolve. You come into the world thinking surely that ghost is protecting something worth having, only to have this facade ripped from underneath you; only to later reveal that not only were they not guarding anything they were more or less a filler for a content gap.

So, when I read in others posts is it justified, it's an overused mechanic in a lot of games. We decided to pick an uber enemy, just to kind of frustrate you into another few hours of playing so you can go research what you need to kill these. Follow shortly by, to what evil ends were they protecting nothing?

It's one of those ruses that when played correctly, as in the first part where you are clearly blocked and unable to continue leaves players willing to participate with one another just to explore. However, when done in this manner, it's suddenly a side-quest that requires a google search, a cup of coffee and some tissues once you realize you just sunk four or five hours to kill something that for the most part can just be out-ran, or out-los'd, etc. and serves virtually no purpose other then to wrecking ball your fun :)

Tahru likes this.
  5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

ummm ummm lets see.... (waves hand violently) I've got it, I've got it,,, it's, it's, ghost bust ----- bust ---- ah darn it, I'm having one of those senior moments, will try later when my mind is in work, work , working order, dag nab it o_O where the heck did I put my brain? :D:eek:

Moiseyev Trueden and Tahru like this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Saul Goodman?

Lord Lonn and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. Navi2

Navi2 Avatar

dont nerf ghosts XD if anything give them wayyyy more xp

8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

The opposite of nerfed!!
    They respawn like all undead!!

Net, Lord Lonn and Themo Lock like this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

haha holy crap

Lord Lonn and GingerLee like this.
  10. GingerLee

GingerLee Avatar

Omg.. Noooooo. Thermo I know ya just posted this and your now Lvl 100. This video shows just how OP ghost are and now a fast rate of respawn too boot.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

nah thats not me in the video

12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It's me. Just hit 60. Not the insanity of Themo the Centenarian!

Themo Lock likes this.
  13. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Oh, now I'm having visions of clockpunk ghostbusters for hire in Novia.. :p

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Themo Lock and majoria70 like this.
  14. Sammegarian

Sammegarian Avatar

"Clockpunk"I don't think I've ever heard it referred to as Clockpunk before, only ever "Steampunk". Huzzah for new experiences.

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

ah, yes. Clockpunk is referring to taking what steampunk is, but setting it a couple hundred years back to clock technology rather than steam technology. Richard Garriot has used 'clockpunk' to describe some of the technology available within the SotA game universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.