Global sales system - from Chris's stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think it'd do wonders for shoppers and people without prime-spot vendors while preserving the value of have/being in a good market-focused town if they added a interface to just search for items on all the vendors within the scene you are in.

You can already see if there are vendors inside a town very quickly from the overworld without having to enter. So maybe have a NPC called market advisor or something you can talk to to see a interface.

The ui could be like the town crier and a merchant UI combined, with the items listed, their sale price, and clicking them allows you to "Set Compass Destination"

That way you still have to go to the town to shop there, those towns can compete with other towns by watching their prices, and shoppers can find stuff quickly without having to run around and load up 100 vendor lists and remember them

2. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

It's a tough one alright.

I think it's for the best concerning the health of the game. Not a global AH but a global search function (maybe even regional). That way you know you could go get a piece of armor in Mud for 75% of the price you could get it next to where you are - but you still need to go find the vendor, plus teleport scroll or time cost to get there, it also it gives an incentive for newer players to go off exploring (potentially discovering new PMDungeons in the process! Or because their treasure map location is near there [TBA]).

I think it'll be a much needed kick in SotA's economical behind.

I've had some great RP moments, like making deals with the BMC in exchange for my location (all in-game!) and I was lucky enough to have someone gift me a spot in Britanny Alleys recently, but for the Average Joe who's not a titan of industry (pun intended :)) or doesn't luck out on a great lot - they're crafting, getting a vendor, listing their wares and then... Nothing. Ardoris, Owl's Head and Resolute PVs are the only game in town for them - and that's after they figure out even that.

I think that those who have, or are in, a cartel (not in the bad sense of the word either) will still out-sell everyone anyway, through team-work and ingenuity and hard work, as in the real world, as it should be. They should own castles together and all that great stuff.

But it's time to give the little guy a chance.

Plus, with F2P and upgradable lots now, people are buying up entire maps with multiple chars anyway.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree the way the game is set up does not want an auction house system implemented. It would take away reason to visit. Players have spent a tremendous amount of time to create points of interest in their towns such as Rinsai who has the awesome museums. I have the school of rock with walls of trivia signs to read, a music instrument display room with instrument history facts. An auction house would hinder exploration to some degree imo. A step in the right direction was the trade channel but it's not perfect yet. Some ideas to fix it should help.

For people who say they don't like advertising well turn it off since that's what it's for. It's for us to tell of what we have and where it is located. Although I would prefer if our adds could be scrolled through and stay for a limited amount of time and ability to mark (sold) in a more viewable way. Some improvement to the trade channel need to happen of course.

There are things we can still do to make this better but just throwing in an auction house isn't it. I also love to be able to say on the trade channel does anyone have something I want and get a answer. It really brings the world together in a way it wasn't. We were all in our separate world before universe chat came in. We had to have it. Now to work out the universe orb issue so players can get it in game somehow.

Titania Xylia and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Well said.

[​IMG]

Cordelayne and Astirian like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Anyone have a link to the video where @Chris said this?

Jaesun likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Shroudoftheavatar.net then click price list.

Alioth likes this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Death to the merchant empires!!!

Hehe no seriously I do agree sota is set up as a free market based on location premium spots and individual vendor markets.

He said it in one of his streams.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  8. golruul

golruul Avatar

Global auction house? Yes please.

I don't have to spend hours visiting every single vendor trying to look for a particular item? Yes, please.

Course this will piss off the people that have the prime spots, but will be benefit every other player in the game. Especially the lower prices bit.

Cordelayne, Gia2, Amelli and 2 others like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You don't have to now. Just ask for what you want in the trade channel.

I have heard players say they enjoy it. So some enjoy shopping around and others don't. We do have towns with vendors and points of interest to visit but for those who don't like to we can look at what best serves both situations. Like in rl we have online shopping for those who prefer it but some prefer to actually see the product and shop around in person. We do kind of have that situation in game. So the solution is not cut and dry. Plus whole towns are set up around shopping from vendor to vendor. Lots of time and money has been put into that. Making that more enjoyable and easier serves the game too but just imo.

Edited

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Please just a global search.... that shows me all vendors in the world and where they are located.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Add the possibility to highlight the specific vendor on the map and you get +100 from me for this one.

Dhanas likes this.
  12. Curt

Curt Avatar

Having an auction house where you could buy everything from would be a negative thing.
    What we need is tools that help us learn where can buy.

One thing that could benefit from something else than vendors would be raw materials. A kind of raw material market (that i think could be regional),

Example: Silver that mostly is from Elysium mines. Have so that in Xenos (nearest npc town) you have a place where you can list
    i want to sell 43 silver ore for 12 gold each.

When someone visit the exchange they can see there is 145 silver ore for sale at 12 gold each and 450 silver ore for sale at 13 gold each.
    • if they want to get 5 silver ore they can buy it for 5*12 gold
    • if they want to get 150 silver ore they can buy it for 145*12 and 5*13
    And that silver ore would be taken from the ore at that price that's been listed the longest time.

So for many resources a unique exchange regional placed in a town that will get more of a unique identity this way.

• copper
    • iron
    • silver
    • gold
    • pine
    • maple
    • leather
    • cotton

13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

hmm What about a town interface to search all local town vendors. If you find what you are looking for he sets a compass point.

majoria70, Jaesun and Gia2 like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

...earlier that day...
    So completely agreed, but credit to someone back in 2015 who has now left the game who asked for that.

Gia2, Xee and Earl Atogrim von Draken like this.
  15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

hehe thanks Spoon, was lazy this morning and didnt read through everything on this ;)

Spoon likes this.
  16. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

That is what many text MUDs got - a merchant directory that tells you seller and coords with the item you seek

Spoon likes this.
  17. Summer Breeze

Summer Breeze Avatar

For me, a global search for items could do without prices.
    I have spent hours and hours of checking vendors, looking for certain things I had no way of knowing were even up for sale anywehere. In the end I just quit these shopping trips...

Just tell me (on which vendor?) in which town a certain item is for sale and I'm a happy shopper.

majoria70 likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think I'm leaning toward this (don't forget the tech cost of having to do all those database look-ups for everyone's vendor list) in the form of a vendor index NPC, and converting existing Public Vendors to global. But I think I'd prefer if the local directory didn't list prices. Just here's where to go, and be thankful that you don't have to go to everyone. (Besides, someone could list things at more than one price on the same vendor!) And don't forget the sell orders.

Another idea is some kind of magic book that you can carry with you so you don't have to go back to the index guy to find the next guy selling the same thing.

The global public vendors would work just as public vendors work now, except they share a single list. And please please just return expired items. "selling" them for NPC value is outright stupid, and just penalizes players who can't keep track of their sales to remove them in the last hour. Auction houses in every other MMO that I know of return your unsold items.

Astirian, Jaesun, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Xandra7 and Amelli like this.
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And don't forget we have a method for pinging lots already just use that. Shoot a beam in the sky for every vendor selling what you are looking for.

Spoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.