Global vendor poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 8, 2020.

?

How should global vendor search be implemented?

1. Leave it as-is

23 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Lua functionality

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. Global search

58 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. Global market

86 vote(s)
    50.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

Global Market would break a lot of key things in this game, including the economy, however a Global search would save new and existing players hours upon hours upon hours of frustration when shopping. I agree with adding a search, then travelling to vendor to then purchase at location.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

My thoughts exactly, @Barugon - assuming we're on the same page here and I think we are.

If "Global Search" allows you to see everything for sale (which it has to do or it's worthless), then I would ONLY vote for it - IF I had to go to the actual vendor to make the purchase.

If "Global Search" both lists everything and lets you buy it on the spot, that would be seriously worse than not having a search at all.

I mean, how non-social is that ?

Offline mode is there (no judgments) for those people, who for whatever reason wish to be left alone - and a vendor search wouldn't be available to them anyway.
    And, quite frankly, the offline only peeps will not be able to sustain SotA in the long run.

What we need more than anything is lots of new players who can actually find something they can afford, as well as meeting us older players to lend whatever assistance we could and that most new players would really appreciate.

Give us a search that lists everything, with the prices and where you need to go to make the purchase - then (there's a good chance ) you'll get to go see a new place and maybe meet some new people.
    You'll still get what you went for and maybe even a new friend, and that will help keep this game afloat.

To me, that's a win/win !

Just sayin'............

P.S. If you agree with this and you already voted for Global Search - please consider changing your vote in the OP.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Drya and Barugon like this.
  3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I vote "Global search with prices" and just what the heck is "Global market"? I guess it means run around trying to find overpriced stuff or under priced orders...

FrostII and Drilikath like this.
  4. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

so to clarify how things usually work in a global search, vs a global market. Global Search simply is you type in the filter , and/or look through drop down lists of item type filters also to see if the item you are looking for is on a vendor or not, and generally what prices they are. Then when you have made your choice it leads you to the vendor by whatever means, other games had waypoint systems this game does not, Where you then buy the item from said vendor. What Global search does not do is show you every thing that is on said vendor, ie the fun of shopping is when you get there you browse for what else they happen to have on there.

Now Global Market negates having vendors at all, everything is listed in a database window and you purchase/recieve/list for sale your item through this means without going anywhere, the search function is generally the same as global search.

5. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

It’s interesting that a majority of the players want something implemented in game yet the developers don’t want it and those who has his ears don’t.

6. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

I think it’s pretty obvious what Global Search vs Global Market means even without any specifics.

To me, reading a lot of these comments favouring global search, it’s seems some are trying to swing votes because global market is in the lead. Why panic and start inwardly fighting over votes?

If @Chris adds Lua, most of the population is going to be upset anyway.

Are we even sure @Chris is even going to consider these votes, being that he’s seemingly made up his mind on Lua via stream already? Even when the votes here show next to no one is interested in Lua functionality?

If @Chris is reading and seriously considering these votes (and for fairness across the board I hope he will), and as search and market are both so popular, perhaps add both search and market is a good solution.

For all we know, many of those voting could be people no longer playing, sitting in the wings hoping for functionality which is currently stopping them playing the game.

Barugon and Titania Xylia like this.
  7. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

How long has lua functionality been going on?? It’s in persistent development like player dungeons, fishing and 99% of everything else in the game that isn’t finished. Can’t we just get maps for all of the zones yet??? So frustrating

8. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I'm all for leveling the vendor location playing field and helping purchasers buy what they want without a lot of hassle.

Global search fixes the first issue. Regardless of your vendor's location anyone can find you after a quick search, then you can give the buyer a waypoint to that vendor.

Global market fixes the second issue. There's no lag between "I see what I want" and "I have what I want". If you only have global search, the buyer has to run to the vendor to buy thee item. In that case, they can be beaten to the item they searched for by another buyer. This would cause a lot of frustration.

I'd like to see this solved as an auction house or with the public vendor system that is in place in an NPC town. I think the mechanic will feel more immersive, if you have to travel somewhere and list your items and travel somewhere to purchase items.

This old vendor system was really there as a profit center. The real world solved the problem of sellers needing to find buyers and buyers needing to find sellers with markets. It's what the game needs. It's sane and reasonable. Making out like owning your own vendor ever made sense is silly. People late to the game need a level playing field for their wares. People early to the game have the best locations and have a lot of leverage that the late game player may never overcome.

I'm not saying we have to drop the vendor mechanic either. By all means, leave that system in-game, but let's provide a new option with potentially some limits on the amount of items that can be listed on the "global market". There are some public vendors now. I think the vendor for those NPCs can just be improved with search and higher item listing limits and it will be a vast improvement over what we have today.

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I love the fact that players still think this is a democracy and Chris will weigh up all the options people want and go with the majority rather than just the "10 minute fix, this should be fine" approach we always end up with.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Friendly reminder;

One finished and polished system (100%) is worth five finished but rough (80%) is worth endless unfinished systems.

We have a pile of finished but rough systems, a great giant pile. And a bunch of unfinished. Plenty to do before starting one more "soon to be left unfinished" system.

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Pretty much all of it. I'd be happy to just press pause on Episode 2 completely and get the Episode 1 stuff done, polished, and working. The vendor system and "economy" is and has always been a bit of a debacle and is, I feel, one of the game's biggest weaknesses (right underneath "overreliance on RNG slot machine features").

Its funny I remember they used to say on the streams as we approached release that all the good stuff came in the last ...20 or 10 percent of development. But its that last 10 or 20 percent that never seems to happen, on a feature by feature basis.

I get that we had to get the Ep2 stuff going, people bought towns and I agree with getting purchases fulfilled. And I know a few new things for 'out there' are being worked on.
    But I'd much rather we take a step back and address the core fundamental systems that desperately need attention:
    • Player Vendors/Economy and commodities pass
    • Crafting Recipe Acquisition Methods / Recipe Book usability
    • Crafting Recipe Audit/Balance - (re-evaluate pointless/uneconomical recipes that no one makes)
    • Quest Journal usability / Completability / Waypoints / Reward viability
    • Maps usability (or existence...) and minimaps...like nearly every game has.
    Spend some time helping new players and see the same frustrations/bafflement appear over and over and over again - where do I get xx recipe, what am I supposed to do for xx quest or my quest is broken or my journal is broken/confusing/wrong/not updating, navigation issues due to lack of maps and broken/confusing waypoints. Over and over and over again.

SotA for me is like M&Ms without the candy shell coating. Chocolate is still yummy, but it'd be nice without it melting everywhere and making a mess.

13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I don't want to see Global market (Auction house) Id rather have a search option that requires me to go to that location. Otherwise what is the point of the vendors and vendor locations? it would make only the location where the AH vendor is a hot spot and make the towns ghost towns. the Search on the other hand would tell you where the vendor is and mark it on your compass. having filters and the likes to look for specific traits would be splendid. Also prices would be nice. This would for sure bring down all the inflation in the game imo.

FrostII and Ostvel like this.
  14. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

The great poll, great results, thank you.

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Totally agree. With a global market, I'd fear there would be no reason to decorate a lot to attract customers. We could just stash vendors behind a tree somewhere. And after all that work the devs did that led us to make big investments in deco! While I can see the rationale for a global market and runs to check vendors can be a pain, there are towns and deco I would never seen if not for the local vendor search game.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Prada, Ostvel and FrostII like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's been 2 years since launch. If they had stopped spending time on new stuff, the quest journal would be redone, polished, and fun by now.

"We can't do it, it would take too long, so we're going too build dungeons and a bunch of other rando stuff part way instead."

If the coders had done nothing since last October (balance passes on combat excepted) we'd be ahead of where we are today. All of that time could have been spent fixing broken things.

Sigh. Happy Easter everyone.

Sulaene Moon and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Drya

Drya Avatar

I'd definitely like a Global search feature. Right now, to a large extent, I seldom buy anything. It is just too much of a hassle going from vendor to vendor and town to town trying to find the specific item you want. If shopping wasn't such a boring, time sink into which I pour my time and more often than not don't find the item I'm looking for, I'd buy more stuff. I'd love to upgrade my Sage's Sash, but not enough to devote hour upon hour to the search and more often than not, fail to locate the item I'm seeking. I would absolutely buy more items from vendors if I knew who had the item I want in stock at a price I felt was fair. I do think one should have to go to the vendor to purchase the item however. Anyone in retail knows those who come to buy one item tend to browse a bit and often purchase additional items.

kaeshiva, Prada, Ostvel and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.