Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Glyph Heat System

Discussion in 'Release 42 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Sheamus McGuinness, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

So far I am loving this new heat system for glyphs! It changes the game a lot, so people will probably hate it, but I really love it so far! Good work @Chris!

2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Tomorrow's build will reduce the focus penalty for heat amounts below 50% but scale it up higher as you near 80% heat! Still lots of polish needed and I'm still working on balance for a few things.

3. Boedy Arc

Boedy Arc Avatar

but on heat system is only non stacked ability right?

4. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

[​IMG]

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

+1 lol!!!

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The heat is on *sings*

Theonetheonly likes this.
  7. Sheamus McGuinness

Yeah there are some issues for sure @Chris , but it looks pretty dang good so far. It will certainly change both PVE & PVP a good deal and I think for the better or both.

8. Chris

Just now making a pass on the combos to make them more powerful so the deck guys can feel some love. Also, plan is to make it so to do a combo with locked glyphs once they both get some heat and then it will basically throw both to max heat levels on combo use. I have more time to think on it though as that won't be in for R42.

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

So far it looks to me like the same thing before - locked 1 skill and wait for the cooldown or let the cards draw and stack 2-5 together. What am I missing?

I am trying it with Aimed Shot. - does not work with this :(

I got the heat to work on Meteor Shower.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Still playing around with it. Main benefit from my play perspective, since I mainly use a drawn deck, is it allows me to use Healing Touch on myself in subsequent bursts instead of waiting for the cooldown.

It kind of makes sense to me though both for stacking drawn glyphs and for subsequent use of locked glyphs that you be able to add to the effect of any skill that has a timer. So for instance, there's little incentive for me to use Defensive Stance, or Ignite Weapon, or Light, or Sprint, etc. before the cooldown is done, unless there is some better than opportune timing, because I can always use the skill again before my buff times out. So it makes little sense to even pay attention to the heat on these skills. It would be neat though to be able to add slightly to the effect of these skills at the expense of extra Focus.

Solazur likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh and you're now able to use all your locked glyphs or switch decks as soon as you enter combat with no cooldown to wait for....

12. Sheamus McGuinness

I do notice that my focus is going bye bye much faster... I smell a @Chris !

EDIT: Actually just read your blog and yes it was you! haha

Solazur, Sentinel2 and Theonetheonly like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ive not tried it yet, but I am so excited to see it.

14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

@Chris

Have to say I think you've come across a great happy medium between folks who like/dislike the deck system while also adding a significant amount of strategy / focus management to combat.
    I normally run 2 dynamic slots and the rest locked, this gives an incredible amount of versatility to deckbuilding and combat feels more fluid than ever, I feel like *I* can decide when to use a skill knowing its cost instead of relying on random things popping up. It also opens up a lot more options for me, when choosing which 10 skills I'm going to use, if I know I can use them repeatedly in a pinch - it just makes combat much more multidimensional.

My first impression is that I absolutely love it. The focus cost ramp-up felt a little severe on higher cost skills, but I see above that this is still going to undergo adjustments so witholding judgement.

amarious and Sheamus McGuinness like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris, I thought you were going to eliminate slugs?

16. Chris

I can't until I come up with alternative way to keep people from just making 5 or 10 card decks just to avoid all cool downs. I will but R42 has been a blur with all the extra crazy stuff that went on.

I was just playing with it and I think it might be a bit too punishing now. I'll keep working on the balance a bit...

My guess is you only have one rune free because you have the others in a random deck. If you put 4 in your deck and only keep one free then it will behave just like it used to!

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Ok I will test more tonight. Thank you.

18. Chris

Oh, and offhand attack is broke as f*ck right now. :p Feel free to play with it and enjoy it's awesomeness until the next QA patch!

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This may be my issue as well. I just modified my existing deck on QA to lock all of my glyphs, but they are still in the glyph list on the side. I'll remove those and see if it starts to behave.

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

So I tested this system out a bit last night. for example:

training dummy:

5 x stone arrow @ 6 seconds 1000 hp dam & 900 hp dam
    5 x stone fist @ 3 seconds 800 hp dam & 800 hp dam

both drained about 100 focus.

From my testing, it seems like any spell with 0 cast time is going to gain a significant buff. I didn't even think to try some of my blunt skills. It seems like "bolts" still may in the end be best to stack.

But its good to hear it will be delayed to R43, I think there is a TON on variables that are going to be unbalanced and a lot of things (skills and such) re-balanced. For example, I have 3 buffs hard set in my deck right now and are wasted in this system, almost as if "heat" should be taken off these kinds of spells, no reason to have defensive stance on a heat cast right?

I also could not cast my normal heal on my action bar before combat started and I buffed str which raise my hp and I need that heal to heal them up.

I think stacking glyffs should get a bit of a buff with this system.

Being able to rapid cast Rend 5 times is a bit unbalanced for example (stacking spells).

Spells with long cast times like Earthquake dont really change that much, probably best to stack them still.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.