Godot game engine replacing Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Feeyo, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

You are stating they will fail? I will pm you with a question about bitcoin volatility as it seems you can see the future pretty good.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

You must not understand business.

Sure they might succeed. But the question is can they afford to fail. If not, its not a good business move.

Moving Shroud of the Avatar to a game engine never tested at this scale?

Clearly a risky business move for a company not presently affording an office for employees.

3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I find it funny to compare unity and unreal to godot. But that bitcoin volatility question just killed me. lol

Gia2 and Feeyo like this.
  4. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

Perhaps Godot would support the move as a partnering effort to prove superiority over Unity?

It could be duplicated and tested if so, and potentially a less painful migration... Maybe worth asking... You officially ask, and at a minimum, you may get more effort from Unity...

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Why would that even be needed? The point of Chris having even considered moving to another engine was maintainability moving forward. Godot already wins in that regard. If anyone thinks that it's not a capable engine then I suggest that they actually learn about it before issuing that judgement (and by learn about it, I mean actually read the documentation, not just read the "features" from the webpage).

Feeyo likes this.
  6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

The engine is still too young for having already such a big project, either way I am sure there are big projects coming out in a few years based on this pretty awesome engine.

7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Feeyo It'd be nice to see something that demonstrates it can operate at scale. Not saying it can't, but I've seen lots of projects come and go that promised a ton and in the end couldn't deliver in the real world (I.e., the ideas seemed great, but they didn't actually pan out). I do like that it's Python-like, it's a good base to start from, programming wise.

8. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

Because it's a business, and if Godot sees it as something to leverage as a leg up in the marketplace, perhaps they would be willing to shoulder some of the time, people, and money required for the migration...in exchange for the opportunity!

Barugon likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sure, OK.

10. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

if you were going to build a game twice, why would you pick this one?

11. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

<quote>if you were going to build a game twice, why would you pick this one?</quote>

This is an interesting question. I guess the most impressive thing about Godot compared to unity is that it is completely open source , which would allow complete access to the source code to change major things about the engine as the team wishes.

Barugon, Chatele and Mishikal like this.
  12. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Changing the source code of a gaming engine to meet your needs is FAR FAR FAR beyond the scope and skill of the remaining SOTA developer(s).

Portalarium picked Unity, we are stuck with Unity.

Unless SOTA somehow becomes immensely popular and profitable and/or someone donates $10's of millions to development. In that case they should clearly go with the Unreal engine.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

“Changing the source code of a gaming engine to meet your needs is FAR FAR FAR beyond the scope and skill of the remaining SOTA developer(s).” - greyfox

- oh I agree 100%. The question was what would be the benefit of Godot if they were going to do everything all over again “build the game twice” I think the original question was more a hypothetical question to work out why Godot would be better more than a suggestion that it would actually be feasible to do, at this stage...

Barugon likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Chris actually very briefly entertained the idea but yes, it's a bit too much. However, and in keeping with the OP, Godot has a few things going for it:
    1. Fully free and open source.
    2. No royalties.
    3. It has a really nice editor.
    4. It has a C# API, which means that it wouldn't require a complete rewrite.

16. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I’ve only ever built “simple” 2D games, but I have worked in both Unity and Godot. I have to say for 2D stuff Godot is much more intuitive and easy to work with.

I’ve always wished SOTA was build in isometric 2D like Ultima Online, but in high res. ( how awesome would that be? )

SOTA2 build in Godot with 2D graphics, and then spend the rest of the 23 million on building sandbox interaction that has never been seen in a MMO ever.

( Who needs expensive 3D games when it’s the gameplay that counts )

- I’m a bit sidetracked sorry OP, I just like to have dreams every now and then...

Grimbone and Barugon like this.
  17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Lets wait for that success to happen first :)

Rada Torment likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.