1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Allow rez in- group for players who have not attacked another player in the last hour. Done.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not defending anyone's solution. But I'm super curious why a non-flagged player should EVER get to rez or heal a flagged player.

If someone isn't willing to risk being killed in pvp, then they should stay out of pvp battles. I don't get the whole, I'm friends with the guys that pvp so I need to be able to heal and rez them. Well then flag for pvp. All problems are solved.

Consensual pvp doesn't mean (or at least it shouldn't mean) that someone gets to influence pvp that isn't already flagged for it. It means that you're either consenting to ALL the risk or none of the risk. People can't have pvp ala carte or it doesn't work. It's not competitive.

Interesting thought but see my comments above. Risk and Reward needs to balance.

Plus, making Obsidian Crowns an additional gate to pvp is just further going to hurt pvp and give people that pay for crowns a real P2W advantage.

3. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

The simple answer is to make a great game that when launched (advertised/promoted) generates sales. Get more people to play is the simple answer.

You can only squeeze a sponge so much before it is dry.

Mal Hari, Moonshadow, Xandra7 and 9 others like this.
  4. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

It's far too early to make any particular judgments and the dev team have consistently done the right thing (in my opinion) over the past few years so I say we just try this premium repair token thing out and see how it goes.

It'll probably get retuned a lot anyway, just like combat and every other system.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

ever buy starbucks coffee?

Seems to me that coffee is a lot less expensive if we just buy the beans or the coffee grounds and brew it ourselves. How much do you think the average starbucks gold card member in the USA would save if they brewed their own coffee (and everybody is a gold card member)....???

Probably enough to buy a bunch of these coins. Truth is everybody has expendable income and people choose to spend it the way they want. If you want to buy them fine, if not then you can buy them off of others who buy them with the gold you earn in game, or you can find crowns yourself while out hunting.

Womby and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think Elnoth was just answering how he thought Portalarium could be sustainable without microtransactions.

The truth is that now they need more funding even while in development, and they'll need funding to maintain servers even years after all the episodes of SotA are over with. So some type of supplementary income from microtransactions make sense. Its a baseline to keep them going.

But I think people do get ahead of themselves when they suggest its the base funding for the game. We all paid for the base copy of the game, and there will hopefully be more people buying the base copy when its in official release. People will also be paying for future episodes. We want that base to grow and expand as players, and Portalarium does also from a business perspective.

Microtransactions are only supplementary on top of that model.

Time Lord, KuBaTRiZeS and Steve D. like this.
  7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

The simple fact is that the best way to increase revenue is to increase the player base. It drives direct sales of the game and hence it drives more sales in the add-on store.

The risk of introducing crowns is that you drive the player base down. Bad reviews and a game mechanic that has left a bitter taste in many players mouths.

My idea of the ultimate rpg game does not involve having to pay money to maintain the best combat ready character. Selling item which give a small financial benefit is one thing, restricting the repair of armor to a real $$$ transaction is a can of worms that could eventually do more harm to the game than good.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Except, what do you *really* gain by repairing max durability? Eventually, affinity, but currently? You don't have to shell out some gold for a replacement every two months.

Really, about 200 hours of play and you might have to buy a replacement set of gear. And thats going to kill the game?

Repair is simply to allow you to keep that one special item you really like. Or to be lazy and not replace your gear for a while.

I don't see the issue, other than making sure that it enforces the economy instead of completely bypassing it.

Lord Dreamo and NRaas like this.
  9. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

I never thought that would be a game with micro transactions.. They never said a word about it, we NEVER asked for it either.
    Like a lot of people here, we gave A LOT of our hard earned money.. and what we got in return? A slap in the face.

This was suppose to be a buy to play and nothing else.

Plus, now, players are bashing the game on other forums..........

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What mechanic does this?

None that I know of. Has an alternate mechanic been introduced?

Crowns are and will remain available in-game for in-game gold. No one is required to buy one for real money to repair the Durability on their armor.

Womby and cartodude like this.
  11. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

200 hours?

Top items will be low durability, due to all the masterworking and enchanting. My playtesting these last few days shows that 200 hours is way off the mark, not even close!

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, that was a bad assumption.

They've talked about other funding techniques all along. @Chris has produced evidence of this.

There is Nothing that has been introduced that Requires Anyone to spend Any More Real World Currency than they have already invested.

Womby, Sean Silverfoot and cartodude like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The loss of Durability and the rate at which it occurs is a balance issue. They're already cutting it in Half, and not claiming they're done.

[​IMG]

14. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Keep simply dismissing everyone's concerns. I'm sure that'll work out great.

15. Browncoat Jayson

Chris was testing this today, and discussing the results in chat. Plate will be slightly lower, due to more hits against the armor, and cloth longer.

But testing +4 items isn't the point. The point isn't to get a suit of +4s and never take them off. If you expect to keep those fully repaired all the time.. well, you are the audience for Add-On Store Crowns...

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not dismissing. Pointing out why they're incorrect.

cartodude, Womby and DancingShade like this.
  17. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

don't quote me then, I'm not the one that made a statement about 200 hours. @Browncoat Jayson made the 200 hour statement

Moonshadow likes this.
  18. foolishwtf

foolishwtf Avatar

Great point!

Womby likes this.
  19. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Wow thanks for deleting the post of only telling the truth

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

Subscriptions are failing as a revenue source. ESO dropped their mandatory subscription because they were losing subscribers. The cynical response now is to launch with a subscription model and then switch to some other method once subscriptions drop off. The countermeasure for that is to wait until a game abandons its subscription model before buying in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.