1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

They would have the option to NOT be outraged.

2. agra

agra Avatar

Ok, how about "ongoing donation" or "continued support pledge" or whatever other words make people cringe at "subscription" when it amounts to the same thing. :)

3. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Hey I only did that once! and there was a warning sign out front (ok so it was covered by some debris, not my fault if the players never thought to clear the debris first..)

anyways... at least we now have an official exchange rate for everything.... since 1gc = 2500gp (for now) and 1gc = $1, as an example: 1 Tax Free Village Lot = $165 = 165 gc = 412,500gp (I know, you get what people are willing to pay...but it's nice to have a starting point.)

4. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Is it possible at some point we will get materials bundles copper/iron/gold/cotton etc... in the add-on or be able to trade the obsidian coins for them? :) Perhaps xp boosts as well?

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

will there be an algorithm (or whatever cool sounding word best fits) that will cause players to not find more coins if it is determined that they have bought coins in the past? or any other kind of mechanism that detects whether or not a person is buying these coins to cause this player to feel compelled to buy more?

I suspected Zenga of having that techique. I was having a great time playing Zenga poker for a while. Then I bought some coins. It was very strange that I started having unusally bad runs of luck. I thought it was just me, but I discovered others had the same kind of thing. About a week after buying the coins sad runs of luck began happening.

I hope there won't be any of this type of sadness in this game. ALso how will inflation be dealt with? For instance, If all the lords of the manners sell their coins the same day wouldn't that mess up the economy?

This is the only concern I have with this sort of thing. With cool looking gear and vanity items there is no way that a run of bad luck can be fixed with a new dress or a hat.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

If these are being marketed as the new post r32 pledges per say I can see your point. I guess although I knew I'd always be buying more items I never realized there would be such a thing again (as is the case with a lot of development really). So @DarkStarr I see your point on balance without devaluing, but also hope some consideration is put in for those of us who purchased early not knowing what possibilities were to come.

7. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

Sure. Just buy crowns and trade them for materials.

8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm curious how that analysis was done. There are a few things to consider:

You have 60,000 paid backers. If your Steam reviews go up and you get good reviews from the press at actual launch in December, I think 100,000 total sales shortly after launch is feasible. If you have a pool of 100,000 players, I think you'll have a lot more add on store sales.

You also haven't tried selling vanity armor and weapon sets much. You've only sold a small handful of pets. These are the most popular items in other games.

Right now you have a very small group of active testers who've really stayed with the project for years. Your current add on sales are only really pulling from that small group, and many of them were already taxed out by spending a small fortune on pledge tiers.

I want Portalarium to make money. I'm not opposed to that endeavor, but there is certainly a stigma of charging real money to repair gear and getting power potions for real life money.

9. Selene

Selene Avatar

Sorry if this has been answered already.. but since this is NOT a pledge.. can I buy one of these on my main account and it won't interfere with my pledge at all?

10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

So far this discussion is quite civil, and we thank you! However, there are a couple in here (you know who you are) that are consistently responding to posts and mocking other players, their thoughts, or simply using their thoughts to derail the discussion.

Let's continue to have a meaningful discussion on the subject. If you cannot contribute without attacking ideas, please don't post at all.

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

:) Bravo!

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Also: are there going to be larger version of this? Tax-free POT village, town, city, etc? I would really like to know this in advance before final wipe, because I will melt my taxable deeds.

13. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

You'll get more bank slots :)

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

when will there be resources for sale?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

you would be better off making it free to play and give them a very small haven where no one can enter or leave, and charging a monthly fee. Have a deco and resource store to pad the bottom line. dont sell umber items and advancements in the store for pete sakes. hell for that matter, why just hold a telethon every other month with a stretch goal every month to pay the bills. Or how about just sending member's a bill for time usage, like a prepaid deal. =) the more you play the more you pay... hey that sounds good, there ya go. problem solved.

Weins201 likes this.
  16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Add-ons never change your pledge tier.

Moiseyev Trueden and Ice Queen like this.
  17. Selene

Selene Avatar

I wanted to make sure these don't act like pledges since they include the game itself... if you had more than one pledge on your account, it would only let you get the benefit of ONE of them.

18. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Yes there are, it was noted in the news update today.

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Though, i love the idea of charging a monthly crown fee /wink ...

Mabey a move in fee.

20. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm not upset.

I'm furious.

So enraged that I didn't even quote correctly:
    This was the quote I should have included.

Sorry, but the blood in my eyes got the best of me.

I would really like to write something more about tainted perception, game success, need to shine in the eyes of the press and the mainstream, how Port lost a good share of public trust on the idea that pledgers win over others, and how Austin desperatedly needs to clean that reputation right here and right now (and sure not make it worse), but...

No, I'd write stupid and angry things and get warned and banned and rightly so.

/me moonwalks away from the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.