Goodbye SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Cabirus, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

To show the Devs that they lost a big supporter and true fan with all their actions. And it is a polite gesture to say goodbye before you leave the stage. If you are annoyed about these posts, dont read them.

2. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Mach’s gut, schön dich getroffen zu haben.

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

We may not run into each other in SOTA again @Sir Cabirus ;)
    [​IMG]
    But I'm certain there's other games we'll be enjoying together again! :)~Time Lord~

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Farewell @Sir Cabirus, we all know you fought till the end.

Best wishes to you.

5. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

At least we also have Underworld Ascendant to look forward to this year!

Take care, @Sir Cabirus

Ravicus Domdred, Jamet, Nikko and 2 others like this.
  6. Flientje Vantmeeden

Flientje Vantmeeden Localization Team

@Sir Cabirus
    OH jeee, was muss ich denn da schreckliches lesen?
    Das du nun gehst ist nicht überraschend, aber trotzdem bitter.
    Ich erinnere mich gern an 2015 zurück, als wir noch soviel Spaß im Drachvald hatten...bevor es eine tote Region mit langweiligen Geisterstädten wurde...als wir so begeistert waren und den Devs das Weihnachtspaket schickten...
    Es spielt von den Damaligen kaum noch einer, ich finde es schön, dass du wenigstens Tschüss sagst.
    Mach es gut, und wann immer ich dir nochmal ein (LB-) Holzwappen oder sonstwas bauen soll - sag Bescheid, ich würds wieder tun! :D
    Ich finde den Entwicklungsprozeß von SotA weiterhin spannend, auch wenn mich vieles empört oder ich noch manches vermisse, und schau mir das alles noch weiter an, ich bin aber auch nicht explizit wegen dem MMO oder dem single player mit SotA angefangen, ich bin hier einfach irgendwie so reingeraten *zwinkert*
    Sir Cabirus, ich wünsche dir von ganzem Zockerherzen: dass du deine virtuelle Welt irgendwo findest die dich fesselt, spannende Abenteuer und allzeit guten loot!
    *Kusshandwerf*
    Deine Flinderke Van'tMeeden

PS: NEIN...das sind keine Tränen...mir ist grad 'ne Orakeldingsbumswespe ins Auge geflogen!!!

7. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Farewell, for now. Perhaps I'll see you in the underworld!

8. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

It was great to have you here!

9. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Adorable and true, QQQQQQQ! :p

10. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

Sir Caribus, you were pretty much one of the few remaining true Ultima story / SP fans here. We're a small group. And dwindling in numbers, it seems. Really wish I had gotten to know you better, but at least I know this much: when you talk Ultima, you know what you're talking about. And when you think it's good time to leave, I probably should follow.

Maybe I will fairly soon, but I will linger for a while longer, and see if maybe there will be some change for the better.

Surely enough, when the party kicks into full swing, like mentioned before --- when all these people freak out with joy over something I cannot fathom to be anything like what Ultima has been (to me), I will join you on that unlit balcony as the festivities of the release progress. My hair will be messed up. I'll look like I haven't been sleeping for days. I'll be drunk, and I will stare into the night sky, trying to still somehow understand what went wrong for us. I might ditch the emptied glass of wine into the darkness down below. Maybe I'll straighten my collar, and go back inside, and get wasted. Maybe I'll leave forever. Because let's be honest here. The likes of me weren't invited. Most Ultima fans already smelled the salt and quietly disappeared over the years. How many times have I asked myself. ... why am I still here? I must be masochistic or something. I wish I really had a blue gate to walk through and find a thriving Ultima community on the other side. One that still cares for the stories of the games. Or at least care enough for a story that you don't forget it. That you know to value it just as much as sharing it with others, vs experiencing them in the intimacy of only you being there to witness it. But as we stand, all that intimacy is lost in translation of mechanics we criticized from day one to no avail.

After all these years, I was drawn to this kickstarter, like a moth to the fire. The promise of Ultima, once again. It sounded too good to be true. But I ignored all that, and just pledged myself and my support, blindly.

I feel like a fool today. Turns out that it probably really was too good to be true, huh.

I hope you can still be contacted through some address on your homepage. On your Ultima page. Which I've always enjoyed a great deal. I absolutely love it, and I hope you won't just drop it, out of frustration over this.

PS: See you in the Underworld!

12. Ronni

Ronni Avatar

Why are you sure that most of the Ultima fans disappeared? I am also a fanatic Ultima fan and Ultima 2-9 (rather til 7) was part of my life in my teen and twen years. I also would love to see an Ultima SP story here and had great hopes and I am disappointed with the story so far for sure. BUT: That does not mean that I do not see a huge potential in this game and that I do not have great fun. It is a different game, that's true. But please be careful with the statement that nearly all Ultima-Fans quit. Maybe those you know and who were very active in the forum might have quit (did you do a poll?) but all? Maybe there are more quiet Ultima-Fans here who like SotA?

K1000, Kara Brae, Stundorn and 7 others like this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Most definately, the proof is in the pudding, constant revenue from the telethons...

The doomsayers are wrong in many basic aspects of their logic, this game will fund itself for years to come.

Thats why it irritates me so much when people put me in the same bag... and also others like Sir Cabrius, he is not a doomsayer he just speaks from the heart, and its his right after all this time.

14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I am saddened to hear this :(

15. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Farewell @Sir Cabirus
    Ich wünsch dir, dass du findest was du suchst und vielleicht führt dich dein Weg ja doch noch eines Tages wieder hierher zurück. ;)

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I hope you found the exact single player game you were looking for and have a great time adventuring the a virtual world that you love. Be well fellow Kickstarter backer.

I will keep the faith with the single player game and I know it will be great when the Devs gets to finish it. I plan on playing the majority of my time with the offline mode once I can transfer my online character stats.

17. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

What makes me so sure that you are one of the few, to be fair, is just my guts telling me . All what I know, all I've seen, read, and all the opinions I've come across; it sort of just clicks and that's the result I get. I don't mean to pester, of course. But I'm not taking that back, as I am still certain that what I feel is true. But it's not all about instincts. We've had numerous issues listed for ages, and criticized over the years, and in those exchanges, you just pick up on these things over time.

So yes. Ultima fans are are largely put off by SotA quite a lot. Like me, many seem to give it another go from time to time. Someone who'se name I can't write without falling over my fingers, wants to point out that our logic doesn't work, and all I can say is, it's fine if you want to see it this way. Sadly that doesn't change were I stand, today. And almost everyone I knew, who loved the original games this much. And a lot of the rebuttals seem to keep missing the mark. Because I couldn't care less how the game is financed. Or that it has fans. And a future. That was never up for debate anyway. I will still criticise when I think it's silly, but my main concern has always been just that single player experience we're not having.

Still, again, I'm glad there are a some around who are either willing to tolerate SotaA, or even liking it. It'd be a shame of we'd all be clones. A huge potential - that I've seen as well. Not that the game has claimed much at all of it yet. We'll see.

But let's get to talking about Sir Caribus. Really will miss the guy. On here.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  18. york

york Avatar

I have to admit, these last few days I am really starting to struggle with the game. I have been playing relentlessly for about 2 weeks and up till a few days ago I was enjoying it, but now I am starting to come to terms that this isn't as good as UO used to be, that UO itch I can never seem to scratch, this feels streamlined in a bad way, each scene is just starting to feel like the previous one, my activities in each scene seem to be the same, kill stuff, harvest, kill stuff. Crafting requires alot of resources, harvesting doesnt give enough, and because of that resources are more valuable than refined or produced goods. Loot also seems to be uniform right across the board, there is literally no variation.

I really don't want to complain but thats just how I feel at this point.

In UO you could just go mine if you wanted too, or go raid a dungeon, or hang out the bank and trade or a 100 other activities that changed the pace of the game at your whim, but Sota feels like 1 pace from the moment I log in to the moment I log out.

I can understand the OPs position, there needs to be some major overhaul of how this game is put together to shake things up abit.

Jamet, Xandra7, Gorthyn and 6 others like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It is very sad that such an Ultima Icon such as Sir Cabirus has chosen to venture to distant shores. He has been a stalwart defender of everything Ultima, and has credibility to back his words. Fare the well seasoned veteran, and may you find fresh water and bountiful feasts to tide you in new adventures.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just speaking honestly, and to maybe add light on this discussion,

- I know many who've quit, that I've talked with privately.
    - I know many who haven't quit but are kind of dragging along not happy and are hoping for the game to improve over time. Some are just logging in because of guild obligations.
    - I know many who are disappointed but are still trying to find the good in the game and trying to enjoy the game for what it is.

So, no, not everyone has quit; some people have, but a lot are disappointed even if they've continued playing. It sounds like you're not outside that category?

Btw, most people I know who quit stopped playing a long time ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.