Grand Duke's Tournament - Final Tournament Plan

Discussion in 'Portalarium Events & Calendar' started by Cerus, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

See below. No such rules are posted.

TOURNAMENT SETTING:
    • The matches will take place in a 5 vs 5 setting.
    • A warrior is considered defeated upon death. No resurrection allowed.
    • The matches will be played in the order indicated in the graphic above.
    • A team is considered defeated once all 5 warriors are killed.
    • A defeated team will be moved to the corresponding Loser Bracket and still has the chance to fight its way until the big final.

FAIRNESS AND ORDER:
    • Spectators are welcome but may not intervene in the battles.
    • No fighting in the Spectator area.
    • Ransom: Since this is a friendly PvP tournament, do not touch the gravestones of defeated players.
    • Players can turn PvP protection on/off in the Oracle Confirmatory next to the Arena.

PRIZES

For the Winner Team

• 1 x Tax-Free Player Owned Town City Lot Deed
    • Heraldry Cloak Eternal Pattern for each team member
    • 45 COTOs for each team member
    For the Second Place
    • 1 x Player Owned Town Town Lot Deed
    • 19 COTOs for each team member
    For the Third Place
    • 1 x Player Owned Town Village Lot Deed
    • 9 COTOs for each team member

RULES AND REGULATIONS:
    • Each match will be overseen by at least one SotA staff member.
    • Portalarium and Travian Games may disqualify any member or team for fraud attempts, bug exploits, use of third-party-software and/or breach of Community Rules.
    • Every team and warrior may use any gear or item during the battle, except:
      • Founder's / Royal Founder's Crystal Sword
      • Immortality Fruit
    • If multiple team members are unable to attend a match at the given time, the team may still proceed with a reduced number of warriors.

ozzzmosis and the Lacedaemonian like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Cerus said publicly at the tournament no PvP in the stand.

I believe you were also the one who said that PvP includes Pick Pocketing, which would correspond to the rules you posted:

3. Hemswal The Descended

Interesting, So, I guess that applies to the people that showed up when he said it and not to anyone that showed up afterwards? (That's why we have rules posted on the forums for this sort of thing). Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. And, I'm good with rules! And, even following them! Hell, without rules life would suck for almost everyone. All I'm saying is, as far as any official rules are concerned, none of the people picking pockets broke any rules. And, I'm saying this as one of the victims. Granted, I didn't lose much, but that isn't the point. Had I lost my Warlock chain, I'd have been more upset but I'd still have the same stance I have now. Personally, I think it's cool that I got pick pocketed. Why not? It's part of the game. I'd love to know who it was so I can go collect their skull, sure, but I'm not angry about it.

Anyway, @Vladamir Begemot If I've upset you, I apologize. Just trying share what I think is a reasonable perspective with ya. I'm done discussing this openly though. If you wish to hash it out more, feel free to drop me a pm. Have a good one man!

ozzzmosis and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well, @Lightiger8 was one of the first pickpocketed, and wouldn't not have had it happen to that degree because we wouldn't have gone AFK if it hadn't been posted that this was PvP only in the fighting area, and said again that it wasn't supposed to be happening in the stands. It cost him about 60,000 gold, and that is with him letting a bunch of stuff go to the thief.

Maybe it should have been more clear, but it was pretty clear to me and clear enough to others that they felt it ok to go AFK. In my mind the thief was breaking the rules of the event, and in one way actually spoiled it for future events. Who's going to come do this again when they can get robbed blind but not respond?

Engel and the Lacedaemonian like this.
  5. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I feel like I more or less agree with nearly everything you two are discussing.

This is what PvP does. It brings people together who have different perspectives. We don't have to be friends to understand and possibly even respect each other.

Applerust and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I guess I understand your frustration. But it is breaking no rules. I was there in the beginning. The first bear brawls where enforced by player action and not game rules. They had guards (players) protect against interference. I think the problem with pickpocketing in this game is there is no counter and no karma system. It's a lack of game development.

7. Hemswal The Descended

Absolutely agree. "The criminal element" as I like to call it, needs to be fleshed out more.
    There isn't a karma system but there is a virtue system. I'm hoping the virtue system will end up playing a big part in how the "The criminal element" is all fleshed out. What we have here is an opportunity for improvement!

I applaud the people that have the guts to take the risk of ruining their reputation, just to get a few coins. I also applaud the people that see it for what it is, an unfinished system with A LOT of potential.

I especially like how we can all have a constructive conversation about something that so many people are made uncomfortable by.

8. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Can we get back to discussion about format of the event, and maybe if there is a next one, it will potentially, be at least better than this one.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Overall it was pretty good I thought. Minor hiccups aside, we've got a good base for a first go at it.

For the size it really needs to be outside though. Or maybe a city arena would be big enough. Too much reliance on AoE's because the fight is so tight.

Dhanas and the Lacedaemonian like this.
  10. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

The thief also has stolen from participants. They missed a part of the equipment they needed to fight. And _this_ is not an element of an friendly PvP event. Most, if not all, of the participants have weared their best equipment. That is not standard.
    Also the event was paused, that the participants get their things back. And hope they realized it before the fight has begun.
    If such events only held to give thieves a hotspot, then i know for the future they will only be organized to give thieves an hunting place and let them decide who has a chance or not.

I was not bestolen, but pissed of that some participants missed their fighting gear and the tournament has to be paused to allow them to get the items back. The thief has nearly canceled the event. If this was his/her goal, he/she has nearly reached it.
    This was an official Travian event, they have other options then players to apply consequences, but so far nothing happens.

Everyone, except the thief, has respected the rules. Heard no complains that someone has lost items because of looting the gravestones.
    Looting the gravestone is also part of PvP...

This discussion leads to a point, yes lets build traps for thieves.
    At this point no-one needs to discuss about a format, or making things better. Because either every participant is naked and all such events are about pugilism or no-one is there.

Spoon and calkano (PAX) like this.
  11. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Fellow guildmate, I appreciate your insight. I thank you for sharing it.

I think some nuances are being lost in translation. There is a great deal of importance we who here share our perspectives, about the combat event, collectively wish to understand.

Upon us who respond here, in this format, is a somewhat shared, and possibly, responsible cause, for the nature and further developing status of the event to in the future, be more refined.

Having said that, language and comprehension of others' should not be a focus, nor, a point of contention. At least, not for me.

Let's get back on topic.

How can the Duke's contest of a five versus five nature, become as balanced and practiced and, daresay, regularly occurring, as the Virtue League session. 1v1. Which of the two differing trials do (any) you prefer to continue and thrive?

Discuss xD

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  12. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I am very interested in PVP but have not done it yet.
    After the event I went to the Virtue League and also enjoyed that event.
    I was VERY upset at the actions of the pick pocket, I was not affected by it, I was never flagged.
    It is unfortunate that pick pocketing has been the focus of much of the content here instead of praise and suggestions for this event.

Not being PVP my comments are to be taken as suggestions and not from experience in PVP

Nothing I say should be consider as criticism for this great event or participants.

I REALLY loved this event.
    I had spoken to some of the participants and there was a lot of excitement about the event.
    Everyone was anxious to see which team was best.
    There was some confusion over where to go to start and who actually won each event. Some method should be setup to eliminate this confusion. But these issues can be easily resolved at the next event.

Cerus and Travian did an amazing job at producing this venue.
    The arrival of the Mysterious guest was epic!!!

A long time ago I went to an event in Beran's Reach that was held in a castle arena. It was a fantastic area for this type of event. I was surprised at this was in a basement.

One big issue with any large event in SOTA is lag because of the number of avatars in an instance. Perhaps having it in this smaller area was to limit this type of problem. However, I often lagged during the event and I heard a lot of complaints about participants not being able to see the action as it occurred because of the lag which resulted in not being able to fight effectively. This should get better and has greatly improved over the last year.

When I first entered the arena I was immediately concerned about the size of the floor. I ran around the entire area looking for a larger space. I thought maybe there was a lower, larger floor for the event. I sat on the upper level and thought, wow, how are they going to fit 10 avatars on that floor and allow fighting to not be toe to toe.

As a ranged avatar, there was not enough room for me to stay away from the target (which is essential to my survival). If all avatars used melee weapons, it would not be as bad but any AOE skills would need to be banned for this size. So one suggestion is to have a much larger arena or a lot fewer on each team.

Having a larger arena creates another issue. If the avatars have an area too large, the battles may become too long and boring. If everyone can evade each other by running away from the adversary, then the sessions would become too long and boring. A solution the devs could use to solve this would be to shrink the arena after a set amount of time. (poison gas, perimeter fire, or other methods around the walls that encroach upon the arena floor making it smaller and smaller with time).

I hope my comments are helpful in making these events even better. I hope they are considered as being critical but only suggestions to make SOTA the best game on the planet.

Sara Dreygon, Applerust and Ikas like this.
  13. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

My Final Suggestion Enable Party Duel, without flagging, kills in duels do not count as kills in PVP numbers, But will be rewardsed as Duel Points and may subject to a different type of rewards other than just PVPing, but to encourage people to participate in Advance combat with real players to improve thier combat gaming skills which will greatly improve their gaming experience in Shroud of the Avatart, and for giving them the reason to become stronger because of this. Lastly Add Really Unique minerals in OPEN Pvp Zone to be havest, to improve the trade between the Pvpers and Crafters market, and a good reason to be skillful in pvping while getting these rare Minerals from the open PVP area. Non Pvper Players - Do not pass your Judgement on All PVPer are Bad Guys, Leave What ever happened in UO be in UO, and please do not be intimated by a "red name" because they might be your next best friend or best customer. Think about it :)

CatweazleX and Applerust like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

• Party dueling
    • For 5v5 it has to be outside unless there is a much bigger arena
    • Keep working on optimizations
    • How about some height for archers to try to hold?
    • Tiered teams, or tournaments for lower level teams
      • We signed up originally because the announcement said "If enough teams sign up we can have different difficulty tiers"
        • It wasn't tiered, so we knew we were doomed before we started. Yes it was fun, but it would also be nice to get to fight for more than 8 seconds. Without tiers there isn't a lot of incentive for teams under the 90 - 100+ level to show up
    • Faster - same with the Virtue League (which does a great job and keeps moving) it eats a large portion of the day
    And both this and the Virtue League are great. I prefer and will keep going to Virtue League. I still lose most of the time because I'm at the bottom of C, but I still have a chance. I'll probably pass on the next 5v5 because me even being in a team makes the teams chances zero. I'll come watch though.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  15. Sales101

Sales101 Avatar

Would be nice if the brackets got filled out.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Cerus if this is true then there needs to be some official action upon the subject. At least a rematch, perhaps a disqualification if it is judged that this was an exploit they knowingly used. Since it was unknown up until this point I would lean toward rematch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudofth...post_is_this_true_an_exploit_was_used_in_the/

Edit: The leader of Team Garlic has posted in that thread. In it he says it was a legitimate use of Unicorn Blood, which is a powerful debuff, and the losing team did not take advantage of game changing mechanics that have been in for 1 and 2 months now.

I can't judge, but it seems legit at first glance, and I think I will be needing some Dark Unicorn Blood for my next PvP fight.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  17. Metalxead

Metalxead Avatar

First of all big thanks to Cerus and Travian for this event!
    Now my thougts about pvp/balance in general, pros and cons for the Duke tournamnet from my point of wiev.
    Here my two cents about passed event.
    Pros - Group PVP stimulated by hight value reward, GM as Judge, event organized by GM and Travian, advertising PVP itself and That twist in the end!
    Cons - Small arena, fps drops, thiefs, small amout of team because of 5v5 format (i prefer 3v3)

For PVP in general, there is lack of motivation to be a pure PVP guy, mostly because you cant get enought EXP/Craft EXP or something value from constanly goin in PVP zones. Ransom system is okay but this not work as stand alone thing. There is no places to use PVP status and take some advantage of it outside Fall. Even Fall is mediocre EXP/Items/Recources/Gold wise.

Solution? For example EXP cap in zones - daily/weekly not matter, but in PVP Open zones just remove that cap. Next is add more unique equip-recources-recipes etc that can be dropped only in open PVP zones, but all this "new" recoucres must be combained with "old one".

What about balance? AOE skill to strong, Polearms to strong, Swords =garbarage, Bludgeon mediocre, Bow mediocre, Shields too much defens for too little cost (mages), Fire school slightly overpovered, Life slightly overpovered, Death is ~okay, Air is ~okay, Water underpowred for rest of skill trees i cant say anything for sure.

Poison on range weapons must be nerefed, dark unicorn poison must be nerfed ASAP.

18. ZODROT

ZODROT Avatar

Solution : Add new skills!
    I need FlameStrike !

Humanexperiment likes this.
  19. Cerus

Cerus Avatar

an awesome tournament has concluded and I wanted to thank everyone, who participated and contributed to this great event.

I believe the biggest gain for everyone was the fun factor, not only for the contestants, but also for spectators and hopefully those who helped organizing and supporting the event.
    I want to speak out my gratitude to those Avatars, who contributed to making this possible by offering their Arenas and helping out with their experience.
    Thanks to @Duke Vallas [BEAR] for hosting the tournament in his Arena. Big thanks for @Amber Raine and the Avatar's Radio Team for broadcasting and also a big Thank You to CMs @Ikas and @Menja for monitoring the matches and documenting the battles.
    Last but not least, I also want to thank all those Avatars who helped maintaining a great environment while the event lasted, during the breaks, etc.

[​IMG]

The feedback you have provided is essential for making future events even better. For future PvP tournaments we will adjust the battle area, some rules as well as the team sizes and some other details.

We noticed that some controversial discussions arose because of certain skill/weapon/item combinations that were used for a team's advantage. The organizers had a close look at this matter to see if an exploit took place.
    The combo in question was a mix of 2 recently introduced features. Both features combined result in a powerful attack, granting the user a big advantage in a group-PvP situation.
    While this combo should definitely be revised and probably rebalanced, both mechanics were initially introduced to the game intentionally, and can therefore not be considered bug exploitation.

Last but not least, a final battle for the 3rd place between Dragon's Breath and Not Mangar needs to be done. @CatherineRose @Sara Dreygon
    Since we will not be able to wait until we have all 10 contestants together, we offer both teams to pick one of their warriors who will represent the team in a duel today at 7PM Central Time, in the very same Arena.
    Cerus (me) will be there to judge the fight.

After that, the prizes will be distributed to the contestants.

Thank you once again, Avatars, for being part of this event and for your continuous support and feedback.

20. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

@Cerus @DarkStarr , any idea whats happening there are people here for the Supposed fight for 3rd place but theres no Cerus some of us have been waioting for over an hour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.