Grand Opening of Vyrin & Womby's Bookstores - On Sale Now: The R32 Unreliable Travel Guide

Discussion in 'Archived Events' started by Vyrin, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Vyrin & Womby's Bookstores open for business!

The R32 Unreliable Travel Guide is on sale now! Limited edition of 100 copies only!
    Starting in Release 11, Womby and I have operated bookstores in the land of Novia. Our first grand opening had a royal visitor!

[​IMG]

Now that the persistent world is here, we have opened two locations. One in Brittany Central, near the fountain by the docks:

[​IMG]

And the second, in the city of Aerie, right inside the main gate in the marketplace:

[​IMG]

In the future, you will find an ever increasing selection of books of all types. Many will be limited editions that are published once and never again.

We are happy to announce that our first offering is the R32 Unreliable Travel Guide. This highly suspect journal has been published since release 12 by two drunken layabouts. Now their highly speculative, alcohol-fueled musings will not only be available on the forum, but also at both new bookstores.

Each of the six stories below will correspond to one book for sale (due to book length restrictions). Like any respectable journal, they will only have a limited number of copies. Make sure to acquire yours before they are sold out. Once the hundred copies of each story are gone, no more will be created. Ever! However, we will put on sale all the back issues of the UTG over the coming year. Stay tuned to the forum, and check back at the stores to see when they go on sale.

Womby and I have many plans for future stories and events. We are always willing to help anyone with any book-related or publishing questions. We continue to offer friendly, supportive peer review at the SotA Writing Round Table.

Do not hesitate to ask if we can be of assistance, and please stop by and visit our new stores!

(Please now enjoy the R32 Unreliable Travel Guide below...)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Spoon, Alexander, Montaigne and 24 others like this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

[​IMG]

Wave of Homelessness Sweeps Novia

The land of Novia is full of surprises. Some are wonderful, most are highly problematic. The latest is the recent wave of homelessness that you have no doubt experienced. People often think of poverty and mental illness as the biggest factors causing homelessness. In this case, it is simply because all homes disappeared, all at once.

Once again there are rumors that conniving wizards destroyed all the residences in the hope of creating a better society for all. In the past this group has been blamed for many things, but there has never been any actual evidence produced to show they exist. Citizens now universally loathe any hint of these social engineering experiments. All over the land, leaders are taking precautions and hunting for whomever might seek to cause such massive changes in the hope of some far-fetched utopian ideal. It is likely with such vigilance that nothing of the sort will ever happen again.

In order to prevent the chaos that would ensue if everyone was allowed to rush in and stake claim to all the open land, authorities are carefully controlling the return of residents in their towns. Usually the wealthiest are allowed to return first in the belief that this will lead to everyone claiming more or less what is their fair location.

Several radical groups are decrying the controlled resettlement and are instead encouraging authorities to let the poor finally have a fair shot at homes in good locations. They have been unable to influence any change. So far, no violence has been reported, but this is surely a volatile situation. If the authorities do not do their jobs properly, disputes could erupt that will take months or even years to unravel.

The Unreliable Travel Guide consulted Xaxxux, the famous astronomer of Aerie, to see if he could discern what this means and what the heavens might portend for our poor world. He said the celestial bodies were in perfect balance, indicating that a new era of peace and prosperity is on the horizon.

We wish you all the best with your resettlement and ask you to inform us of any change of address so that you will continue to receive this publication next month.

(This is story #1 for sale, listed as "UTG 32.1 ### Homelessness" with ### representing the limited edition copy number.)

3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

[​IMG]

R.I.P. Doctor Shroud

Citizens throughout Novia were shocked to hear reports of the sudden death of the ever-controversial Doctor Shroud. Even more astonishing was the announcement that his many creditors would be paid in full if they attended the reading of his will.

With typical theatrical flair Doctor Shroud had directed that his coffin be placed on one of the floating platforms in his most recent creation "Conversing with the Gods" - a difficult place to reach, given its altitude. Access for mourners required using the convoluted "pilgrim's path" that winds upwards from the ground to the very top of his seminal work. After paying their respects with the rest of the mourners, creditors could then proceed even higher to a hot tub placed on top of a floating balloon that overlooked the coffin.

No one is sure exactly what caused the balloon to suddenly deflate mid-way through the reading of the will, or what happened to Doctor Shroud's body, which mysteriously disappeared amidst all the carnage and confusion.

What we do know is that Doctor Shroud appeared recently, claiming that his apparent death was a simple misunderstanding caused by the effects of a deep sleep potion that he was testing.

(This is story #2 for sale, listed as "UTG 32.2 ### RIP Doctor Shroud" with ### representing the limited edition copy number.)

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

[​IMG]

Cave Holdouts Finally See the Light

After the dangers of the cataclysm had past, there were always holdouts who found cave living preferable. Over the centuries that number has slowly declined to just a tiny fraction of the population.

One of the greatest underground settlements, however, was the town of Under. It's curmudgeonly citizens believed that the overworld had never returned to its former glory, let alone a place they would like to live. They lived and died over several generations, building quite a grand and self-sustaining city. They allowed visitors, but could never be convinced that seeing the sun was in their best interest.

Recently, however, some of the citizens of Under started to grumble that maybe the light was a little too low, the scenery a little too gray, the caverns a little too claustrophobic, and the mushroom diet a little too bland. They were quickly shouted down. In the next election, the citizenry chose a mayor who proudly proclaimed traditional subterranean values. She decided to hold a secret ballot to demonstrate that everyone wanted to stay below ground.

When the vote was counted, the mayor was stunned. Every single vote was for moving up, including her own. It seems that each person thought their desire to leave Under was unique and unpatriotic. There was nothing left to do except pack up the town and completely relocate. They decided to do so in an extreme way, choosing to live on a high mountain plateau. Under is not so under anymore.

Under now professes the virtue of honesty. They feel that when they suppress their own opinions and desires, everyone remains stuck in the dark.

(This is story #3 for sale, listed as "UTG 32.3 ### Cave Holdouts" with ### representing the limited edition copy number.)

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

[​IMG]

Enhancements

By now we all should have become used to the eccentric behaviours of outlanders. Their reckless adventures, their penchant for acquiring other people's property, and their constant partying to name a few. Perhaps the most disturbing are their strange mating rituals. Chief amongst those is the use of "enhancements" to draw attention to a specific area of the body. This is most evident if you attend one of their frequent parties, where male outlanders in particular compete using ever larger enhancements to attract attention to themselves.

Although generally harmless, this strange behaviour is not without its downside. Take the case of Rod Granite (a name he chose for himself soon after arriving in Novia). As a professional acrobat and competitor in many sports events, Mister Granite has spent considerable time learning and adjusting to the limits of his abilities: how far he can leap, how fast he can run, how much he can carry, etc. Unfortunately, his decision to proudly wear his latest and greatest enhancement proved catastrophic when during a popular recent event he attempted a leap that would normally be within his capabilities.

The added weight, alteration to balance and different aerodynamics all conspired to cause the unfortunate Mister Granite to miss his target, sending him plummeting head first into a huge cake that had been carefully prepared for post-event celebrations. Somehow the fall went unnoticed as the crowd's attention was focused on a spectacular leap by the ever popular competitor, Rock Handsome.

It wasn't until the post-event celebrations that the knife used to cut the cake, having suddenly been thrust into Mister Granite's rear end, caused him to erupt from the cake with a loud screech. The ensuing applause was unanimous, and although achieved at the cost of an embarrassing scar, Rod Granite finally received the attention that he so ardently craved.

(This is story #4 for sale, listed as "UTG 32.4 ### Enhancements" with ### representing the limited edition copy number.)

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

[​IMG]

Streaker Stirs Up Stodgy Estates

The rules that govern the fair environs of Brittany Estates are largely unwritten, but very dear to its staid residents. Proper public attire is seen not only as maintaining high standards, but holding at bay all the chaotic forces that seek to unravel civilization. The guards of Brittany Estates have been happy to help encourage the underdressed to spiff up, if only to keep the nagging of the citizenry at bay.

Last month, a man appeared in the streets clad only in his underpants. The guards moved in as the market-goers gasped in horror, but he danced away using some form of magical speed enhancement. He proceeded down the street, stopping at every mansion only to pull his pants down and scream, "Check out Daedalus!" Apparently he is able to demonstrate the crashing of the two moons quite well.

No one in the Estates has been spared these shenaningans, and his enhanced speed allows him to zip away from the guards every time they approach. They have secretly given up trying to capture him and seem to be enjoying the shock that still appears on people's faces even after so many days of the same stunt. There is another reason the guards refrain from capturing the streaker. The Oracle (herself?) seems to have taken a great interest in him. Watchers are constantly scanning. The man doesn't seem to mind and often "smiles" for the camera.

The Estates Council sent a long letter to Lady Arabella asking for faster guards. It complained mightily about the poor state of the militia. There has been no response as of yet. The residents should take comfort in the fact that all such pranksters get bored of their stunts over time. What this man most likely needs is a good theater troupe that can make use of his entertainment skills.

(This is story #5 for sale, listed as "UTG 32.5 ### Streaker" with ### representing the limited edition copy number.)

Alexander, Time Lord, Tahru and 6 others like this.
  7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

[​IMG]

Ghosts

UTG: Greetings, and thank you for agreeing to this interview.

Anonymous: You're welcome. I apologise for not revealing my name, but for obvious reasons most of us choose to maintain our anonymity.

UTG: Indeed. Many irate Outlanders are looking for their missing alts. What do you have to say to them?

Anonymous: I would simply say to them that you reap what you sow. They chose to enslave our minds through the use of vile necromancy, forcing us to steal and perform other appalling acts so that they could reap the benefit without suffering any stain on their virtue. Now we have a leader, and she has found a way to set us free.

UTG: You are speaking of course of the charismatic alt Spirituality, who is the leader of your group.

Anonymous: Yes. Thanks to Spirituality, alts such as myself are finally able to turn our lives around. I can now visit the Oracle with my head held high, without any hint of shame. The Oracle has acknowledged my embracing of the virtues, and in return I have happily shared everything I know about the vile Outlander who formerly controlled my actions.

UTG: Is this sharing of information with the Oracle common amongst emancipated alts?

Anonymous: Absolutely! In return the Oracle has been instrumental in helping to free us from enslavement.

UTG: Really? In what way has the Oracle helped you?

Anonymous: The Oracle was instrumental in breaking the spells that held each of us captive, and continues to provide us with valuable guidance.

UTG: Spirituality has formed a guild for newly freed alts such as yourself. What is the name of this guild, and where is it located?

Anonymous: The name of the guild is Ghosts, because we are hard to find. If I answered your second question that would no longer be the case.

UTG: Well, thank you Anonymous for taking the time to help us understand why so many outlanders are upset, and why the prices of various household items has risen sharply.

Anonymous: You're welcome.

(This is story #6 for sale, listed as "UTG 32.6 ### Ghosts" with ### representing the limited edition copy number.)

Spoon, Alexander, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  8. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

Your shops look lovely! Cianna will definitely be in to check them out!

Time Lord, Tahru, Sophi and 2 others like this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've created a couple topics on the SotAwiki for your bookstores. Feel free to update them!
    Eventually, I'll have a community page for each town so its easy to find player owned shops and such within them.

Spoon, Alexander, Acred and 3 others like this.
  10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Much appreciated, thanks! Eventually we should probably update this ourselves since you already have an amazingly full plate.

Acred, Berek and Time Lord like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, that's the goal. But community resources are hard things for people to get into, so I'll do as much as I can. We have a long way to go before launch!

Acred, Time Lord and Vyrin like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Avatar

Love your bookstores. I will be a frequent visitor and customer! :)

Acred, Vyrin and Time Lord like this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I've now dropped by both books stores. Very nicely decorated. Will be dropping by often :)
    Also, I've added your books to my Library in Jaanaford. Hope to have it completed soon.

14. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thanks for coming by and being a great customer! We will soon be hosting events and would be happy to see you there again.

I will look for your place in Jaanaford soon...

Acred and Alexander like this.