Granting use of my arms to my son...

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Bodhbh Dearg, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I'd like to grant the use of my registered arms to my son, Goibniu, until such time he may carry his own arms.

Can you please register Goibniu with the same arms as Bodhbh Dearg?

(PS: In all seriousness: Will it be possible in game to share the same arms when you're family?)

2. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

I too would like to know the answer to the sharing of arms with friends/family/guild.

enderandrew and Time Lord like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Personally, and this is something that would need to be taken up by the College of Arms as a whole, if we were to allow this, I would establish our own, or adopt a system of Cadency for the game. For example, were we to adopt the English system of Cadency, your first son could use your arms with the addition of a Lable, the 1st symbol here:

[​IMG]

Which would be placed across the chief of the your arms, and mark that person as your first son (Likely "First Child" as I doubt we would differentiate in game between a man-child and a girl-child.)

The permission granted would allow for the passage of the arms by the college of arms without sufficient differentiation by the rules.

But, that's only my stance. It is a ruling that the Sovereigns would need to weigh in on, and if it were allowed, exactly what system of cadency would be adopted.

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The sharing of arms among groups is something that is under discussion.
    There are different requirements, limitations, and implications that need to be weighed prior to producing an answer.

Mercyful Fate and Time Lord like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Rufus said it quite well... this is an issue we can offer our opinion on, but Portalarium (probably meaning LB himself) will need to make a decision on it. One of many questions we need to get a ruling on from them! XD As it currently stands, devices are for one person and one person only, but that is almost certainly not a 'final answer'.

Golem Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  6. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

But would adding a lable make it a separate device?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

So, if I'm understanding your specific issue... you have a founder-level account that receives arms, but your son does not, and you are wanting to grant him the use of it?

If that is the case, no, you can't grant him the use of it. As things stand currently, ONLY the single personal account with that pledge level can have a device. However, what you may be able to do (MAY being the keyword, we do not know for sure how this will work, or even if it indeed will be possible) is create items for him and allow him to bear those items with your device on them.

8. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

No, he *will* have the right to arms, as he is founder-patron, almost founder-ancestor, so that is not an issue, it's the possibility to use the same arms if he wants to, since he is my (eldest) son...

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Remember arms were not "family" arms, they were granted to individuals. So for your son to say I am Bodhbd Dearg's son he would have to use the cadency charge on the arms.

10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I know that that is technically true, but 1) we're not IRL here *and* 2) try explaining those technicalities to a 12yr old... ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

A History Lesson!

Golem Dragon and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  12. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Y'know, with my son that might actually work! ;)
    He is very interested in history... When we were in the US last we did a road trip, and he was very exited that we would be visiting the smithsonian museums in DC, Gettysburg and Charleston, SC (Boone Hall plantation, which was used in the miniseries North and South as Mount Royal)...

Time Lord and Golem Dragon like this.
  13. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Also, I think he would probably enjoy the process of creating a symbol to represent -him-. We have several members of the college who are either parents themselves or used to working with younger folks who would be more than happy to sit down privately with you and him to work something up for just him. :) He's at the right age, this kind of thing could become quite formative in terms of self-identity.

14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

My opinion:

This should be allowed, and I favor using the cadency thing.

We should ask Lord British to make the call, but I suspect he won't mind.

Prince William is using his grandmother's coat of arms with a label of three points and a shell.
    Under our system, that's two points of difference.

Prince Charles is using his mother's coat of arms, with a label of three points and what I think are his own arms in escutcheon. Again, two points of difference.

15. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Interesting read, Sir Frank! Thx...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Actually, the inestucheon on Prince Charles' arms are the Arms of Wales. The escallop on William's is taken from the personal arms of his mother, Princess Diana.

17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I would like to encourage this. I want my family in-game to be able to wear my arms and know that if you attack them you attack me. Arms are a sign of who I am and my wife and daughter are a huge part of that. If not the full arms then something like the ensigns for the cities should be done for family members based on your charges. That's my "two cents" on the matter.

Tarsin and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  18. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

This is absolutely on my list of questions for Lord British when next I talk with him.

19. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I'd like add my name to the list of people that are interested in sharing arms among family/friends. My wife and I will both be playing, but I happen to be the only one with Founders status. That aside, we'd like to create, and share, a common crest if possible. I like the idea of being able to craft items that display the arms and be able to give the items to kindred.

20. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

At present, we're looking at several different options for this route. As of our last meeting, this past Tuesday, we were leaning towards using a cadency system, although we'd not decided whether we would be using the English or Canadian systems. (Cadency is a system used to show parent/child relationships in heraldry.)

As for being able to craft items that display your arms and give them away, that's not in our hands but in Portalarium's -- that said, when last I spoke with them, I believe this was an intended feature. (Don't quote me on that, though!)

Also, if you'd like to get together for a personal consultation on your arms, I am available via PM for that. Or, if you would prefer an even more direct consultation, I live in the Portland area, and would be glad to literally sit down with you and hammer some arms out!

Tarsin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.