Grant's Heraldry Generator

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Grant MacGregor, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

Hi Everyone,

I first started thinking about creating a heraldic generator for SotA about 6 months ago, and have been working through the technological avenues in my mind since. About a month ago we (Knights of New Britannia) were redoing our guild coat of arms, which was about parallel to when the Heraldry thread started really taking off. We then made our own coat of arms as well (see signature).

Seeing that the Heraldry thread was really taking off, I started work on the heraldic generator, and I decided to start this thread to share my progress, and get any feedback or suggestions.

It is currently in proof of concept stage, where I am working on getting all the technical functionality in place. After that it will be polished up and made public.

The following functionality is planned:
    • Developed as a stand-alone Wordpress plugin. Should Portalarium decide to adopt it, it will slide right into their website with little or no issues.
    • Each user can create multiple coats of arms.
    • Each set is saved off to the wordpress database, and will be fully editable.
    • The images will all be in vector format, easily scalable, and can be exported as a PNG file for use as a texture (to be imported into the game).
    • Easy integration with SotA.
    Known issues and limitations:
    • Developed in Safari, may not yet work in other browsers completely. Chrome should be ok.
    • Placement doesn't factor in ordinaires yet, so it will overlap.
    In the works:
    • Refine charge placements for certain shield shapes and divisions.
    • Create custom color picker to include patterns and metalic colors.
    • Refine graphic output to include subtle shading for a more appealing visual as an additional output. (The output for the game texture will remain flat, so as to let the game engine render as per lighting in game.)
    • Create remaining common ordinaires.
    • Add functionality for grouping multiple of the same charge, factoring in placement and ordinaire used.
    • Factor in ordinaires when placing charges.
    Upcoming milestones:
    • Add text filter for charges to allow for quick searches when having hundreds of charges available.
    • Create a separate section for special items like Cantons and Inescutcheons.
    • Finalize proof of concept, convert to wordpress plugin.
    • Add aproval mechanism for College of Arms.
    • Add public directory of CoA certified emblazons.
    • Start work on adding more shapes for all types of items.
    The current testbed can be viewed here: http://blazonforge.com .

Changelog moved to: http://blazonforge.com/changelogs

Some background on why I have been thinking about this and where I plan to take it, independent of SotA:
    As a genealogist I have always been interested in family history, local history, and heraldry. When I found out that one of my ancestors had a coat of arms, and that we had what appears to be the origianal artwork in our family, I was over the moon. Ever since then I was intruiged by heraldry.
    I have always found the online generators that are currently available somewhat lackluster and uninspired. I wanted to change that -- being a web developer, and see how this community is taking so quicky to heraldry, I thought this the perfect opportunity.
    I plan on eventually making the generator commercially available online as a genealogical service, but also want to contribute a special SotA edition with unique charges specific to the game.

2. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Using Chrome, I just get a blank page.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  3. Knight Grant MacGregor

Should work now. Was in the middle of uploading as I was writting the post. :)

4. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Using IE 10. Blank boxes. And then it appeared.

Good now

5. Knight Grant MacGregor

Expected, see Current Limitations. Not cross-browser yet.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hmm I just had an interesting thought. Not sure how you have it set but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you came up with this one already.. but just wanted to put it out there.

Users being able to upload their own vector images for either public or private use. It would help build a library for whomever is using it and other obvious advantages.

7. Knight Grant MacGregor

This is currently being discussed by the college of arms as to what the best strategy for oversight to prevent copyright infringements, TTP, and non-heraldic images. I had planed on offering a request feature, but will defer to the college as to how they ultimately think is the best strategy.

rild likes this.
  8. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Not necessarily non-heraldic images. That's still under debate. At least, that's what I gathered!

rild likes this.
  9. Knight Grant MacGregor

Let me rephrase: non-heraldic images = imagery not suitable for heraldry. :)

10. Knight Grant MacGregor

Finally got around to an update after a forced weekend off, as my ISP was having internet issues, and haven't been able to connect back until today. :)

Here's what's updated this evening:
    • Division selection now properly updates the main canvas.
    • Changing the shield selection also dynamically updates the main canvas after a division is selected.

11. vjek

vjek Avatar

First two selection rows appear to work great in Firefox. Nice update, Grant.

12. Knight Grant MacGregor

Thanks vjek! :) Will be working on charges next and should have a few in place tomorrow evening.

13. Knight Grant MacGregor

Created some initial charges and slapped them in the selection list. Selecting them does nothing yet, as the charges will be one of the more complicated aspects of the web generator (placement will be the most difficult).

14. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I did notice three things. One, in modern blazonry, the word 'party' isn't used; the blazon just starts 'Per chevron', for instance. Two, you've got Per chevron inverted listed as Per chevron. Three, your canton selection doesn't show up.

15. Knight Grant MacGregor

Hi Adiun,

1. I have been developing things according to very traditional and historic heraldry, following old books and manuscipts, hence the more antique verbiage.
    2. Per Chevron Inverted is actually writen out, but the "Inverted" is lost to a line break. Will fix eventually.
    3. Canton is there, albeit red on red. Will fix eventually as well. Ah, what the heck, fixed it right away. Thinking of moving Canton out of divisions, as it is strictly speaking not a division, but something that is added at a later point in time, I will probably group Cantons and Inescutcheons together in a separate functionality.
    Thanks for the feedback! :) Keep it coming.

rild likes this.
  16. Knight Grant MacGregor

Added two more charges to the list. I will finish the magic sigil, then focus back on programming, as creating the SVGs is exremely tedious and time-consuming. Once the generator functionality is complete, focus will shift to adding more items for all the selection lists.

rild likes this.
  17. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

For me (Chrome), your charges list seems to be running at a -1 position. If I click on the Anhk I get the Tree, if I click on the broken moon, I get the Eye.

Also, if I've choses a charge and then click on a division, the charge is shrunk and moved to the upper left corner.

/bug

thanks!

18. Knight Grant MacGregor

I'm surprised even that much works! :) The positioning of charges is not yet implemented. Thanks for the report though. I will take a look at all the aspects you detailed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

19. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Ah ok...I thought you were presenting a somewhat-working tool :) I'll stop pounding on it until you give the go-ahead to try it out :)

Thanks for putting this together!

20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Grant, also, to get the charges to appear, I have to select a division.
    My arms aren't divided, so I can't get there from here.

But, I like where this is going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.