Greetings

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Wyrmbeard, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyrmbeard

Wyrmbeard Avatar

Hello to the community and staff.
    First- I want to say i've played UO for 20 yrs. It seriously changed my life the moment I set eyes on it in '96 and I love it to this day. In my opinion the last great release was T2A... that should give some here an idea of the kind of enthusiast I am.

Shroud of the Avatar is everything I want out of a UO game. I think it seriously is the spiritual successor to UO... and I've only played it for a week!
    I've fought undead, bandits and highwaymen, did some blacksmithy and mining and have enjoyed doing the quests... even though at heart, I'm not much of a quest guy. Everything has been fantastic.... except....
    ... I had to stop playing it for fear of losing my mind.

Reason? The graphics. I love them... they look amazing... every blade of grass moving... every leaf shimmering in the wind... all the items that are non-static that you can interact with... it's great to have that level of realism... but my computer just can't deal with it all. I know there are recommendation requirements for the hardware best used with the interface... but I just can't afford them. I did set all my settings to low... but then things became invisible... it couldn't render fire and burning coal textures... and the guards are nothing but floating heads... sometimes just floating helmets. Certain npcs are headless... and it sucks getting attacked by invisible elves and bears. Players would run by me and my comp would freeze... I assume from trying to load up everything they have in their packs.
    I did try to play offline... but the rendering problems persisted... and I didn't care for the fact that I couldn't play with the character I created in the online world.

So... instead of suffering from the long waiting periods... the terribly long loading time of each instance... including the world map... I just had to stop. If all I'm doing is waiting, I am not playing the game.
    I don't mean this to come across as a rant... though all rants say that. If I had something other than my Macbook Air... something a bit more powerful... I wouldn't be making this post. I would be in-game playing.

I do in fact love the game. Hats off to the dev team. You've created something extremely beautiful... that not all can enjoy :{.

If my situation improves... I will be back.

Until then... Safe Journeys.

Wyrmbeard

2. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

a good... enough pc for 400-500, a 1050ti ftw(should be below 100 by now), and an upgrade to 16gb ram(80~) runs sota well enough... if you dont go into player towns or the major cities(brittanys'/ardoris)... and close the game after task manager says 12gb used by sota

rebmonster, Time Lord and vulcanjedi like this.
  3. Wyrmbeard

Wyrmbeard Avatar

to be fair... an update:
    I did more research here in the forums and tweaked some settings and things are a little better. Setting it on fastest has helped a lot along with personal customization tweaks. At least I can play in some areas. Towns and Player-owned towns though are another thing all together. I can go into the Outlander Welcome Center... its painful... but at least I can get to the Inn etc.

What I really need is an area with access to the npc vendors... cooks.. smiths etc. any vendor that could sell me a recipe... in an area that isn't so bogged down with deco. Places like Blood River Outskirts etc i can play easily enough it seems... but they don't have things like bankers etc. and most of these Outskirt areas don't really have npcs that sell certain recipes. I get why they don't... making you explore towns etc. But with the issues I'm having... going into a town like the Arie, or Ardonis ug. Haven't tried New Brittania yet... but I imagine it will be more of the same.

Absolutely love this game... its got me hooked lol.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

a: there is a level between the big npc towns and pots called player run towns. these are just housing and a few basic amenities, and they're pretty empty. they're a good place for you to find a bank and a mailbox, a practice dummy, and basic adventure and crafting trainers. not good for recipes, though

https://sotawiki.net/sota/Category:Player_run_towns

b: there are a LOT of recipes that you don't need to buy; you can learn them by simply loading the table with the right ingredients.

https://sotawiki.net/sota/Re-Teachable

rebmonster, Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  5. Wyrmbeard

Wyrmbeard Avatar

ok---- jeez!!!
    is it me... or is there no blacksmith recipes to be bought anywhere!!??
    i searched the blacksmith recipe list online... said there was a blacksmith in Brittany Alleys where i could buy a Copper Heavy War Hammer recipe for 250 gold. I struggle through there and find the smith... but not 1 recipe on him for sale. I've explored other painful (by painful i mean my comp barely struggles thru these areas) areas as well to no avail! It's hard to be a blacksmith in a game that does everything they can to hide the recipes... what the hell is going on!!??
    edit - Through my searches online... i don't seem to be the only one having these issues. You can't auto learn the Copper Heavy War Hammer Head recipe by just dropping the ingredients in the crafting window either.... even tho you only need 30 smithy to make one!!! graaaahhhh!!! this is dam frustrating!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Oft times, players must explore to locate certain items in the game or learn through interaction with other players. Also, there is a great list of player and dev created resources available on our resources page on the main site's menu:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=59279

Just hit CTRL+F then search for keywords you're looking for, such as this one which should help you greatly -- it's a recipe location spreadsheet made by a community member:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Kkzc2iavsDDmBaC0wgeY0BWYLZ08bAB23Zo5_ggv68s/edit#gid=0

Don't forget the player guide as well -- lot's of great tips in there :)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/playerinstructions

BUT, most importantly -- if you have questions, ask away :) The community is very helpful and happy to assist either here on the forums, in-game, or on our official Discord server:
    https://discord.gg/GuBXakQ

Welcome to the community! :)

rebmonster likes this.
  7. Wyrmbeard

Wyrmbeard Avatar

Elgarion..... THANK YOU! The spreadsheet did the trick!
    for others with the same issues... i'm going to type out keywords for their searching.

The Blacksmithy skill needs the recipe "Two-Handed heavy war hammer head" to make a two-handed war hammer head.
    The Carpentry skill needs the recipe "Two-Handed war hammer" to put the handle (carp makes handle) and head together.
    You can get both in Owl's Head. The Blacksmith and Carp can be found up the hill within the fortified walls.

I personally think having these recipes on another continent other than the one your 'born' on is a bit extreme. Doesn't take that much skill to make these items... so they are technically low end recipes.

I don't understand why in adventuring areas with merchants where you can mine copper... the blacksmith in that area doesn't have copper recipes and so on. i have already gotten recipes for odd combos of materials for high end ingots... so having copper recipes in copper areas won't hurt a thing. Just my two cents.

The community here is very nice and very helpful... i talked to a few players last night in-game that were having the same issues as me... can't find certain simple recipes in areas that would support those same said recipes. It just seems a bit extreme to me.

Thank you for your help Elgarion.

now back to my sweet hammer i just made hehe :p

Lord-Galiwyn and Elgarion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.