Guide to Writing and Publishing in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Vyrin, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have created a book chronicling the history of the Temples of Syrinx (PoT). Thank you for this guide!

Vyrin and Numa like this.
  2. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

This is a fantastic help, thank you so much for putting this together! :)

Now if we just get line breaks added... the rest is workable. On that note... if the text file has an empty carriage return, is it ignored?

LoneStranger and Vyrin like this.
  3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thanks Rennik. You can space out the text with empty lines, I use it all the time for title pages. They are not ignored.

However! There are sometimes problems around new pages in books. There may still be a bug where something gets ignored. If you do find something that doesn't seem like it's registering, probably should be bug reported.

Rennik likes this.
  4. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Excellent, thank you! From what I see, it looks like— using the standard English font— you can fit 22 lines of text per page. Since I'm doing a book of poetry, that will help when trying to figure out how to "paginate" the original text file... don't want a page turn in the middle of a stanza... ;)

Vyrin likes this.
  5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

New lines will be ignored until the first text in the file past the page break. For example, if there are 22 lines on a page and I have 15 short lines of text (that do not wrap to the next line) followed by 15 blank lines, the content will flow over to the next page and seven of those blank lines that fall on the next page will be ignored. To resolve this, I always count out my lines and use the text "[ b ][ /b ]" (without the spaces) on the first line of the next page. You could use any text, but I choose to bold/unbold because it only adds seven characters to the character count and it's invisible in the finished product. However, the caveat is that if any of your lines wrap to the next line, it will bump everything down a line and you won't fit 22 lines on that page.

For example, to get two empty lines on page two of Petaluma the Chicken, I do this:

Code:
    [b][/b]

@>     Petaluma was a chicken
         <~)       in the city of Brittany,
          ^^  .   Down by the water where
                    the grubs were aplenty.
                                                     }
                                                  }
    He liked to watch seagulls                ,,
     soaring in the sky,                    @
    But he was sad, though with     <~)
     wings, he just could not fly.       ^^

He went only as high
            @=     as his tiny legs hopped,
        (v~v)    But try as he might
                     his body always dropped.

[b][/b]                   @>
                     <~)
                      ^^      ~^~

One day after failing his latest attempt,
    A worm lounging near saw his fowl discontent.
    It suggested to him, “Try a new attitude,
    And get an assist from a higher altitude.”
    So he hopped on a bucket and then to a hedge,
    And made his way upward onto a stone ledge.
                                      @>
                                . . <~)
                              /    ^  ^
                 . . .       /     
               /     \    /      [][][][][]
      ___/      $%&&%    |][][][][][|
     |\__/|       &#%&#     [][][][][]
     |        1      %#%%&    |][][][][][|
     |___|       &&#%$     [][][][][]
    Notice it's lower than the start of the opposite page.

[​IMG]

I do A LOT of edit/import/examine iterations before I'm satisfied.

6. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Greetings!

I recently started to put together a library in my guild hall (for The Knights of Darkshire) in Darkshire Hills. I've collected a pile of books (229 of them) so far.

Part of my "system", I am categorizing the books and placing them in the appropriate section in the stacks. I have noticed that sometimes it isn't so easy to determine where a specific book should be placed. Hopefully I've gotten most of them correct, but will adjust as complaints come in (as I know they will).

I'd like to propose some additions to the recommendations in the Title Page section (Part 5b):

Basically the idea would be to standardize on including the following items ...

Title:
    --- Standard

Author:

--- Standard

Edition:
    --- Either 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc ... or the "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" system.

The "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" system explained: There are two common methods to indicate the revision number of a book. 1) "2nd Edition" Obvious and easy. Using "1st Edition" is optional as the lack of an edition generally indicates it's the first.
    The other is this list of numbers. This is done in print to prevent the re-setting of the type on the publisher page (just masking or deleting the old edition number(s). When the book is re-released as a second edition, the "1" is deleted so for example, a 5th edition would show "10 9 8 7 6 5".

A book's Edition # will change when the content of the book has changed after the book is in circulation. For the Real World ISBN system, minor typo fixes are not considered enough to cause a new edition increment. In our world these rules may slide towards making a new edition to fix things like a typo in the author's name. Other corrective/changed content or text has been changed to add a new feature (such as a preface, appendix or additional content or the book has been redesigned) should cause a change in the edition #.

This also creates a "rare" in the previous edition; especially if the circulation was small.

Published Date:
    --- Using the New Brittania Calendar Year

For this I suggest maybe appending the year to the NBBN: 00182-00001-507 [Publisher-Serial-Year Published] or just adding another line "Published in 507pc"

Category:
    --- Some example categories that I have been using in my library: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Reference, Macabre, Poetry, Young Readers

If this is too much, then just ignore me. (it's my OCD speaking) :-D

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I finally got around to publishing my first book using this great guide! Is there a public library anywhere in Novia that books can be donated to?

Vyrin and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

The Library of Darkshire Hills always accepts donations!

You can mail the book to me (Ravalox) in game, or if you would like to, the donations can be dropped off in our book donation chest at the entrance to the library on the third floor of the Town/Guild Hall:

[​IMG]

9. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

Thanks for the great guide

LoneStranger likes this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Writing some rare books :) Consider it a player quest to find, read and own them !

11. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

My question is when selling a book. The sales slip only gives location and buyer. It does not say what book was sold. Is there anyway that can be changed so that i know what was sold. Thanks

Aartemis likes this.
  12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

bump for the love of the written word!

13. Helverian

Helverian Avatar

Any updates because of the new printing press "sword of midras printing press" ? How does it work? It shall make copies from the sword of midras book.... But how i do not seem to own it or to create it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.