Guilds - any further details yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karrolanth, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

It has been said that more information about guilds would be released, and discussion would take place, after R10.

Since R11 is almost upon us, I'm wondering just how long after R10 these discussions might start... ;)

I for one would like to know more about how guilds are going to work, what sort of things are possible for a guild, whether there will be guild houses (it was hinted at some time ago), how one even sets up a guild in game, and so on.

For example, in Neverwinter you need five people of at least level 15 (if it hasn't changed) to get together in a party and talk to a special NPC in order to create a guild. Is SotA going to have any similar restrictions, or are low-level players going to be able to start a 'guild of one' and gradually add people to it as they go?

And if guild names have to be unique (nothing has been said yet, as far as I'm aware, but it seems logical they would need to be), what's to stop another player from using a guild name before that guild leader has a chance to create the guild his/herself? After all, many guilds have already been established for the game, and I'm sure the leaders would be a little miffed if they couldn't use their chosen name because someone else ninja'd it!

Of course, it's entirely possible that discussions are already underway with the Dev+ backers, as seems to happen often, but if that's the case then perhaps a member with access might respond just to say "yes, it's being discussed" even if no details can be given?

Especially since, according to the Q4 schedule posted by @DarkStarr, we should be seeing some guild functionality in-game in R12 at the end of November, it would be nice to know that some discussion of the subject will take place (preferably in public as it affects many more people than just the high-level backers) before then. :)

(Note: I don't intend that to sound like a dig at Dev+ members - I understand and accept why many things are discussed there before being put in front of the masses. I'd just like to know that this subject will be discussed openly soon, as I feel it's important that everyone who has an interest in guilds should be able to have input into how they work regardless of their pledge level.)

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Just one point out of that on names (individual names, not guild I mean) people stealing names was a big concern for people ages ago and there wasn't really a good solution from memory. It was just going to be first come first serve with higher levels getting preference which in most things I agree with but NOT names. It quite irritated me at the time that I am Asguard, have been Asguard for years but particularly since the start of kickstarter and if someone said "Asguard" on here I would be right in assuming they were talking about me but if a duke decided "wow Asguard sounds like a cool name" they can steal it.

To be honest I think this is a far bigger issue than people stealing guild names

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Don't really know what the current plan for the machanics around guilds are, however I would like to see some of the following:

- No minimum number requirement (half the fun is build a guild from nothing).
    - A player only a member of 1 guild at a time.
    - Being banks to assign a guild rank that enable certain permissions (wars, recruitment etc)
    - Some kind of assistance for guild ceremonies (I used to love the old guild stones in UO).
    - Unique items/permissions for guild use. (would like to see guild storage with permissions).
    - Guild wars, possibility if sieges on towns that are flagged as guild towns. (This could include the construction of siege items that could be placed in an enemy Town, would have to be destroyed to make things safe).
    - Being babble to assign guild discounts to vendors

That's just to mention a few things on my list :)

Jivalax Azon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. High Baron Asguard

I have to say I would like us to be able to join multiple guilds, for example I am part of MGT 470 as part of the original kickstarter campaign but an Australian guild also interests me because it's in my time zone and the people will also have a similar regional vocabulary (ie if I say rooted, they would know I'm either talking about sex or exhaustion, not barracking for something :p )

Jivalax Azon, Logain, Vyrin and 3 others like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The only way around that is not to enforce unique names, the issue is that no-one owns the right to a name. Multiple players could have all used the same name for years......I dread to think how many players called Gandalf there are.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

In never think multiple guilds is actually any good for a game community. Most guilds don't get absolutely huge in numbers and they rely on its modest number of members being active. If those members are spread across other guilds then time is not focused, this can possibly lead to a lot of guilds being very unstable. If I had 15 players in my guild with an average if say 8 on at any one time then I find that 4 of them are running around with other guilds when I'm want to plan a raid.....I wouldn't be happy.

I have no problem with guild alliances but that should be up to the GMs of the guilds.

7. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Gandalf, Gandelf, Gandalph, Gaaandalf, xxGandalfxx... ;)

Perhaps there might be a way to flag a guild as your 'main guild', to prevent being able to take part in guild wars on more than one side? Or to have an 'associate guild' that you're a sort of honorary member of, so that you could participate in guild chat and so on? (That's presuming that the game allows for guild chat channels...)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If they did allow players in multiple guilds, any player should be able to see what guilds they belong to. I for one would not except any player into mine if they are in another.

9. High Baron Asguard

Well no what they could have and should have done in that case was protect the forum names and kickstarter names, so if you have it here you get first dibs on it in game not go down by pledge amounts.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Having 2 guilds is like having 2 football teams.

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There is lot of functionality that could/can be enabled with guilds.
    Just to name one example close to my heart, it is easier to handle a common property if we give permission to a guild instead of individuals, thus if you are out of the guild you no longer have that level of access to the property.

What I think is at issue is that people use guilds for different reasons but they might not be guild guilds.
    For instance these are my bloodsworn friends and we go through everything together, is in most MMOs a guild.
    But my trade associates for which we have a proffessional relationship and share some assets, is in most MMOs a guild.
    The losely attach gang that hires themselves out for gold in PVP but doesn't trust each other at all, is in most MMOs a guild.
    etc
    This is not a great approach. Because most would like to be in only one 'BFF' group, but would like the conveniency of companies/charters/town councils/crafters united/etc as well.

So a distinction between "clubs", "companies" and blood sworn "guilds" would be nice.
    Then I can be true to my "guild" while setting up a "company" with fellow tradesmen, and belong to the I've been to the clink "club".

12. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I like this idea! :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

For the most part I agree. Although I don't see why someone couldn't be a member of a pure crafting guild and a pure PvP guild, for instance.

licemeat and Jivalax Azon like this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

my thoughts are this: I don't care if you are in multiple guilds, but if you are in my guild, and in another one, you will not be in my guild.

15. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Fair enough, and I'm fine with guildmasters setting their own rules for membership in their guilds. But I wasn't planning to start a discussion on the pros and cons of belonging to more than one guild - I want information on how they're going to work in this game, and I'm wondering when we're going to get that. :)

16. High Baron Asguard

I think that sort of system will be quite late in development because it needs a community which means waiting till the game is up 24/7 so that people can see what they need and devs and players can see how they use the systems

Gaelis likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It is scheduled for Nov R12. So pretty soonish.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

A lot of good points brought up here. My own two thoughts:

1) I really hope they do something to keep guild spamming to a minimum... I mean the players that create their character then create a guild with just themselves or their buddies. This will happen if there are good guild bennies that people want to tap into but no minimum requirements. I'm tempted toward minimums, but I think my broader concern is I'd like to see every guild have a true purpose. How you establish this is hard... I would rather guilds be hard to create and see a few really wonderfully developed ones (like all the ones discussed on the forum so far! :)) rather than page after page of meaningless ones when you open a list.

2) Because they will have the friend mechanic, they should eliminate the guilds that are just a casual group of friends who want to play together. Technically, because of this mechanic, someone should not be creating a guild in SotA if all they want to do is casually associate with their buddies in game. Since they came up with the different modes to offer people options on how they play together, they should think in the same differentiated way about guilds. Maybe there are different types of associations they can create so that a guild remains something great that enhances the community and the environment of the game.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I couldn't disagree more with this.

Every single guild I have created in the last 15 years of playing UO has always started with just myself and a couple of friends.....I then grow them. I have always preferred smaller guilds as the larger ones do tend to be full of casual players, or players what don't want to use things like Teamspeak it Ventrilo. I find that there is always more of a sense of community with a smaller number of like minded players.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  20. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Help me understand then why this is not handled by the friend system?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.