Gustball

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Oct 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Does anyone play this anymore? I remember back when there were whole teams of players competing against one another. Kind of miss that TBH.

Wilfred, FrostII and Winfield like this.
  2. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I have always been interested in the concept, Beran's Reach has an amazing gust ball stadium, but sadly I have never seen it played.

I am hoping that perhaps the devs might consider the first "attack" skill they work on for mounts might be gust, so that a form of mounted gust ball "polo" might draw interest in the activity again.

Wilfred, FrostII and majoria70 like this.
  3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

lots of excitement for it before but it turned out into just another FAD... maybe if there was an actual IN-GAME system managing the competition / tournaments with rewards / incentives and even RANKING... but sadly there were NONE of that... also, it was very LAGGY... I watched one or twice and I couldn't tell what was happening... LOL!

4. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I remember the old days of Themo Lock and Kazyn Phoenixfyre inventing and playing Gustball with avatars, without a gustball. It did die off... was a fad yes.

I think there needs to be some "leader board" for Gustball teams either in SotA or some Web APP.

Not sure how to execute (what the workflow would be), but this could really be fun! How much programming? Start simply with an honor system perhaps with teams registering a match, and recording the result. Maybe it's done with a Booth at the Gustball deco field that Team A registers their team leader, then the other team, then at the end one or the other declares victory. Then get leader boards. Who knows!

In the meantime, we could just have an online APP for that! Someone's website adds that. Who knows!

Gust On!!

Wilfred, FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You guys should give it another go. Right before I quit there were a couple major gustball updates that made the ball have actual physics, and different kick strengths based on the charge of the glyph. If you can get enough people together, do it.

It would be a shame for no games to ever be played with the updated system because they waited so long to make it.

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm hoping it catches on this time.
    Would be lots of fun, I think . :)

Alley Oop, Wilfred and Cordelayne like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree gustball could be a cool thing to do but just having a gustball field set up does not accomplish much at all. No one can just jump in and play. No matches are set up. No quests, description, instructions, or anything in game to start the game play.

Many towns have one set up but as it stands now these are totally controlled by player interaction which as I've mentioned before is a chance of failure for social set up is feared by many new and not new players. As with our rental system that failed being forced interaction.

Here's a few things I think could help for gustball to become a fun rewarding thing to do in shrouds:

-having A gustball quest (game generated or look alike) would be one idea. ( such as the idea to sell rental keys on a vendor for our Inns that expire was proposed to avoid constant player interaction.

-An associated achievement and reward to go with the gustball quest would be ideal and necessary. Rewards should scale and be daily type rewards.

-An on-screen notification and teleport to get in the queue and quest would also be necessary. No chat window notifications please ever.

-also simple instructions on game play and game set up are necessary when entering the queue.

@Elgarion @Chris @Sannio

Edited

Edited again

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Wilfred and Dartan Obscuro like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

pretty sure that was bambino ludovate; in fact he got an onbe for it

Winfield likes this.
  9. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

You are correct! In fact, I was there when Bambino got his ONBE from Lord British in Austin at the County Line BBQ.

[​IMG]
    Bambino receiving his Order of the New Britannia Empire (ONBE) from Lord British (Richard Garriot) in Austin, Texas, in July 2015
    Photo by Winfield

Huzzah!

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I would love to see a score keeper based on the ball going into the nets, as well rankings would be cool not sure how it could be done.

Wilfred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.