Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Hat Quest is Themepark not sandbox

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Miracle Dragon, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

One thing that differentiates an open sandbox world is the option to perform actions in any order.

Let me start off with, I'm very happy to see new and different quest ideas coming in for us to test. My feedback is meant to help give an understanding of what I expect and hope for in quests, and what I do not want or like. Thanks!

Currently, the only way to collect the cotton and leather required for the hat quest, is to talk to the Master of Hats first. We should be free to gather cotton and leather before starting the quest, and when he asks for it, say 'oh, you mean this?' The game creating 'special items' specifically for the quest is a Huge Problem!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Abydos, Ice Queen, KuBaTRiZeS and 8 others like this.
  2. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Yes. I was all excited too because I had plenty of regular cloth and hides from all my adventuring. When I found the "Master of Hats" awkwardly standing in a dark closet I thought I would be able to triumphantly make use of all the mats I had gathered. I thought we were trying to stay away from those linear, go there and collect this type quests. I am happy to have explored Solania and the surrounding wetlands though. Large crocs were giving 1500exp.

3. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You don't have to talk to him first to get the cotton. I was getting the cotton before I even went to see him. I was kind of wondering what the new cotton was for even.

4. Miracle Dragon

That's interesting, because I collected lots of cotton before talking to the Master of Hats and never saw the 'special cotton'. But once I got the quest, I went back to the same location and suddenly every node dropped the special item..

5. Miracle Dragon

I've also found that you can't collect more than he asked for. Why don't I have control over my own character and what he chooses? where's my multiple options, like trading with other characters for the goods, or stealing the hides from bandit huts so i don't have to skin anything myself?

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I collected more than he asked for. It sounds like the particulars of this quest may have changed with some patch.

Ice Queen and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I fear that you may be disappointed when the whole story is implemented. I think that in order to tell an exciting and dense tale there needs to be some linear elements. Some things simply need to happen in order to advance the story or create an emotional impact. And I also think that some things have to happen "in a certain order" so that you sometimes have to follow a certain path and do certain things. Sure the more options we get to complete things the better but I cannot see this happening with every quest.

Myrcello, Ice Queen, Atogrim and 3 others like this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I too never got any of the special stuff until I talked to him, and I stopped getting it at 30 count, until I turned it in, now I get it every once and awhile... He told me after giving me my hat, that it's a type of material over looked by craftmen... So I don't know if there will be a use for it other than making hats, I guess we'll see...

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, you can collect more if you move it to the bank or hand it off to another player. The game only checks if you have too many in your primary inventory.

When I hit the maximum, I handed the items off to my partner, and was able to continue collecting. :)

4EverLost and Miracle Dragon like this.
  10. Miracle Dragon

I agree there need to be some linear elements, but having 'special cotton' magically appear off nodes we've picked before then stopping simply for a questline is contrived and doesn't make any in-world sense.
    This shows exactly what i don't like about it. If the items can be used to make hats, then they are being used by 'some' crafters, so why would most crafters overlook it? And none of that explains why we can't find the items before or after the quest, or can't find more than 30 of it either.

I do like that this method is more or less, forcing every player to go grinding for loot, giving everyone the 'opportunity' to decide if they find this aspect of gameplay fun for valuable feedback. Quite useful for Pre-Alpha, but I hope quests are not constructed this way post-launch.

11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Can't say I agree on "liking" this method. If a subset of users want to grind then let them collect the goods, and sell them to those who do not.

Forcing *everyone* to grind their own set of goods simply causes animosity. While I was collecting my 120 units (I have four hats to make), I felt I was simply getting in the way of other users grinding in the same scene.

It left a bad taste in my mouth to say the least.

Edit: After further playing, I see that all existing zones provide the two unique resources. I was under the impression from the clues in the Journal that only the Perennial Trail ones did so. My bad.

Still : Not a big fan of the "limit to 30" mechanism put in place. That feels like an unnecessary bit of work considering how easy it is to circumvent. I would prefer that it not set a precedent for the future.

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I enjoyed the quest. We will have these type of quests and sandbox type of quests. I don't want to limit of the type of quests as long there are all different types.

I enjoyed reading the journal to find clues were the master of hats was and the ingredients location. Fun!

13. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are specifically testing both of these options with this month's hat quest.

The hat quest is never intended to be "in-world" coherent game play. It's intended to (a) test specific scenes/gameplay and (b) reward you with a hat for so doing.

For most tasks in game we do indeed allow you to do all those things.

14. Mata

Mata Avatar

I like the different quests, Lum! :)

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Uh dose NOT make any sense to gather things without knowing why, really weak. That is NOT doing a quest that is grinding to complete something you know.

All oyu are asking for is the ability to gather resources for other characters and / or players so they can just run up and NOT work the quest.

PLAY THE GAME.

TY for the quest it is nice to see you MAKE people play instead of just walking thru stuff.

Lord Baldrith and Miracle Dragon like this.
  16. Mata

Mata Avatar

Yesterday I presented my superfluous leather to another player. He could not reap so many because he was in Solace Bridge in multi-player. He was very happy about it and was grateful for it. :)

(Ich hab gestern meine überflüssigen Leder an einen anderen Spieler verschenkt.
    Er konnte nicht so viele ernten, weil er im Multi-Player in Solace Bridge war.
    Er hat sich sehr darüber gefreut und war dankbar dafür. :) )

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ya what Lum said.
    Lot of 'outrage' for a quest type that only exists as incentive to test stuff.

18. Miracle Dragon

Thanks Lum, I find that quite reassuring, and am happy to test these options with the hat quests. I noticed that the special items can be gathered anywhere, while the journal entry states to look in the Perennial Coast alone. It would be interesting to test if you can limit the special item loot to just one region like that in the future?!

This thread wasn't meant as 'outrage', just as feedback because this stuff is important to me to get right. I would rather we say something when we see something we do/don't like, so they know, rather than be disappointed later because they didn't know what we thought or how we felt.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Duke Raas likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I like the Quest too lum. Something different is terrific. I don't think we need to nitpick about dynamics, just enjoy. Thanks for giving us more things to do this time. I am really, really enjoying it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.:)

20. Marek Laemenard

Marek Laemenard Avatar

1) I think the "hat" as a reward for testing stuff the devs want tested is great. Very fun.

2) I love being reminded by finding a "go gather x of y" quest that I take myself too seriously in my expectations. Maybe a "sandbox" should mean anything is possible, not that anything "theme park-ish" is not possible. Wait, wait just a moment here... maybe there is a place for a "Disneyworld" in New Britannia!? I think I just got an idea for a PoT!!!!

That was a joke, btw... I don't really want to setup a Metropolis-sized Player Owned Town that will be New Brittania's first, best, and most popular theme park... I mean, imagine how awesome it would be... people would have so much fun there, the rest of the world would be neglected! Hmm, something like...

* "Experience what it's like to visit the darkest and most dangerous place in New Britannia - right inside the park!"
    * "Enough "go kill 10 rat" quests for the whole family!"
    * "One child's admission free when you upgrade your family to the 'Save New Britannia' package!" ***
    * "Refreshments available from conveniently located vendors throughout the park!"
    * "After you've experienced all the easy-to-complete quests, enjoy a show in the 'Arena' as our PVP performers give it their all for a most entertaining Joust/Tournament!"
    * "Won't your home be the envy of all your neighbors when you pick up that perfect hand crafted decoration made right inside the park - gift stores located on your way to the exit!"

*** (Note: Child safety inside the park is not guaranteed)

Hmm, but what would it be named? I couldn't use 'BritishWorld', because Lord British would probably hit me with a large trout, and would never agree to be the spokesperson for the park. And if I called it 'Lucky Laemenard's Laughably Ludicrous Landscape', that would simply be too much alliteration for one person to be able to stomach. Of course, 'Crazy Edvard's House of Faceroll' just doesn't quite have the right ring to it, and he probably wouldn't agree to be the spokesperson either, let alone trim his epic songs down from 6 hours to 6 minutes. But there have to be some other good ideas... hmmm *scratches head*

Hahahahaha. Err. *hides*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.