Hearth of Britannia Dragonsmeet - SotA Roundtable

Discussion in 'Guild & Town Hall' started by Rustic Dragon, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Rustic Dragon

Rustic Dragon Proprietor of the Hearth

Want to share thoughts about Shroud of the Avatar in a Hearth of Britannia Dragonsmeet? Stop by tomorrow at 20:00 CST. Hearth of Britannia Dragonsmeets are live-streamed Google Hangouts.

We'll be discussing the following questions:
    • In the last twenty-four releases, what's been working well and what hasn't for you?
    • Have you jumped in since final wipe?
    • If you stopped playing, is there something you're waiting for or wanting in order to return?
    • Have you sold your pledge? Are you happy with that decision?
    • Is there anything specific that's been particularly surprising for you, good or bad?
    • How does balance feel between low and high level players, espeically regarding crafting?
    • What are your thoughts on combat (e.g. deck system)?
    • Who here's PvP, PvE, or both oriented? What are you thoughts on the respective experiences?
    • The new player experience has changed substantially, any thoughts?
    • How do you generally feel about ease of communicating with and finding other players and items?
    • When do you expect the game to ship?
    • What do you hope for the future?
    Everything you need to know is here: https://www.hearthofbritannia.com/dragonsmeets.php

Please be sure to read up on Dragonsmeet etiquette: https://www.hearthofbritannia.com/faq.php#sota16

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well hello there. I love to see you around. *hugs* I do hope life is wonderful for you, I know many of us who knew you really have missed seeing you around very much. :) So I wish you all the best. I hope you meant you would like feedback here since that is what I'm about to do. I hope it helps your discussion. *cheers*

Now to comment to your questions: *rolls up sleeves* ;)

We'll be discussing the following questions:
    • In the last twenty-four releases, what's been working well and what hasn't for you?
    • I would say before the last 5 or so releases it seemed a bit of a jumbled all thrown together, not knowing how it was going to come together, and still hoping it would very much. Then we got more new Devs hired and progress started showing up, a real game started happening, and most recently animations are taking place that are fantastic.
    • Have you jumped in since final wipe?
    • I never left. I am here for the long haul.
    • If you stopped playing, is there something you're waiting for or wanting in order to return?
    • N/A
    • Have you sold your pledge? Are you happy with that decision?
    • N/A... I still have my Lord Marshal pledge.
    • Is there anything specific that's been particularly surprising for you, good or bad?
    • Yes... many times. For the good for example the emote system and animations that continue to amaze me, have you ever seen the aeroplane? Omg and the juggling, and the voicing so far on these are adorable and so well done. Most recently the animations finally on the avatar, combat,and creatures are coming along nicely to take away the clunky feel of a lot of the game, so yay this gave me a lot of hope for the game to shine the way it should. Also the new blood bay tech that got added such as ability to move our character that will give so much possibility for boating, flying through the air, elevators etc, and geysers that shoot the avatar in the air, and I'm not sure of all Of the new tech that was added to bloodbay, but I'm sure there is much more. I just know there is a big importance to what just happened getting this tech in the game for the game. The world is gorgeous and everything coming in is top notch and of a quality that the game deserves. For the bad I've been disappointed so far in requests to get a work order system in game to connect all the world and hexes. So far and it may be coming I haven't heard of how more content will be handled either which I feel will be needed for release like achievements and side quests of all types.
    • How does balance feel between low and high level players, espeically regarding crafting?
    • Well it is really hard to gage balance at the moment. I do not believe all the pieces to the balance puzzle are in the game yet. I feel it is difficult to balance a combat system without them. So as in most games we have combat that has buffs we can add. Then there arm armor buffs, weapon buffs, potion buffs, eating buffs (hopefully sleeping buff someday), and perhaps more like the statue buff in POTS that affects the total balance we will see. The problem we are having imo is that feedback being given is not always based on someone changing anything they are doing along with the game changes that affect the balance. So we get reactions and threats being thrown about. How to test a system being developed without knowing the whole picture? Do the players need to test the combat a particular way that benefits their combat abilities like eat food that gives appropriate type of buff, drink a potion, or both, wear a fizzle reducing armor, etc? Having this kind of communication could stave off some of the reactions. Like hey guys we are testing fizzle and give ideas of what to try and request feedback. Well imo this would help. Not knowing what is needed and people forgetting they are in a game in development and are testing as things get implemented, is a big issue for forum feedback to be helpful and valuable.
    • I am loving the deck system. At first I did not. I like that it challenges me and I like that I have to play around with it and tweak it to get different results. Last release I did notice I could touch a party members portrait one time and it would target them and before I was clicking away giving myself carpel tunnel to target to heal. So progress there too along with better sounds an animations that are coming in a bit at a time. ;).
    • Who here's PvP, PvE, or both oriented? What are you thoughts on the respective experiences?
    • I play PvE. I am willing to PvP but it is not my most interesting thing to do. I love to do boss kills and run challenging scenes with a group. It helps me to improve as a player, plus we have some very fantastic people in the game to hang out with from many parts of the world. I love that part being connected to such distant lands and Countries like that. :) It is truly amazing. So for Pvp the few times I've flagged I've been nervous and begged for mercy. I do think the people I was with might have felt sorry for me, but some wouldn't I'm sure. So who knows. I did PvP in wow even if it was wow to me it was a pvp challenge to take the scene and to protect a scene or protect a comrade. This might be a bit of an incentive occasionally, I am not sure how that will play out. I still think we need PvP quests, crafting quests, achievements and reasons to explore the world and do things. I am hoping for an abundance of this. Even repeatable quests for those who must have quests all the time because that is their thing. ;)
    • So far from what I've heard is that entering the game and knowing what to do is confusing to many of them. Once they get in game I hear there is still confusion and getting lost on the overworld map is one of them. I know there has been work on improving this experience. IMO as in other games the starting area could be a bit more like part of any game along with the starting story aspects, sending players to collect resources and perhaps even crafting a boat out of the area. It could be set up to prepare them. One quest could even have them help an inn keeper get ready for more new avatars and craft beds and cook etc. All the while teaching and even a quest to entertain the new avatars coming to the word by using the emote system. Most of the new players I've encountered have not known about the emotes, journal, how combat works, teleportation system, npc chatting, and how to navigate the world. The starting area can help more than it does. It does not need to give away secrets and discoveries but it can prepare better and explain better, which could be done. I have not checked it for a while, not wanting to restart my character atm.
    • How do you generally feel about ease of communicating with and finding other players and items?
    • I am not exactly sure of the items part of the question? Anyway communicating through whispers, local, party, and guild is ok to me, we also have zone chat which I don't use and I do have an orb which I rarely use. Whats missing to communicate is bulletin boards in NPC towns that connect all the separated areas. For example these allow us to announce our town and vendors and perhaps a hint of what they are selling, ability to announce events, player quests etc, give us an ability to create work for other players and request work from other player all in one place. I also would like them to have wanted posters generated from PvP quests that give and track criminal points that generate the wanted poster on the board. Anyone new or not new could interact with the board to check out the world.
    • I am really hoping not until the end of the year of first of 2018. I would love to see much more content coming in, side quests of all kinds like mentioned the crafting, pvp, exploration quests, and achievements that keep people coming back to the game. I feel there needs to be time to get the content needed to release, otherwise new players and existing players will run through the content and world and then move on. There are power gamers out there than run through content faster than imaginable and I just want us to keep players busy to continue to add more and more to the game.
    • I wish for complete systems that are fun and interesting, like for example fishing and fishing quests, treasure chests that can be found while fishing, message in a bottle that starts a quest, and sea monster battles or small battles from pesky poison fish. I'm hoping for some type of treasure hunting system where x marks the spot and maps you find in exploration, some are easier than others. I'm hoping for boating and waterways to docks of the world even better if they avoid load times when possible and we can fish out of our boats and explore the waters to find things. Exciting exploration of the world where you find things sometimes treasures, sometimes fall through a hatch or trap in the floor and discover a body with a note that you should ask about, or you might find key, or amulet someone needs, or the body of a loved one. If you hike a tall mountain you should find things here and there. Also I would love the ability if things could be changed up, like alternate hexes placed in so it is a surprising world to adventure through and websites will not be able to tell you how to find everything. This is a big wish, but at least I got it out ;).
    • I wish for this game to have great success, For me I wish for this game to be 'the' game that holds me, surprises me, inspires me to create, provides fun in a world that surpasses my expectations. A world filled with lovely adventures and explorations for many years to come. I know we can do it. It takes faith, a whole lot of work and confidence to do it. I say this development team will be the champions who can do it. :) I will be here.
    • edited

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Rustic Dragon

Well thank you. :)

Actually, I didn't. ^__^ But that's my fault for not putting how to submit alternatively. :)

I don't jump into the forums very often. However, thank you for typing all this out. I'll read it and make sure that the points are heard tonight.

Everyone else, if you want to ensure that your voice is heard during the Dragonsmeet but can't make it, please email your thoughts to me directly at rusticdragon@gmail.com, that's the only thing I check when I'm on air. :)

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Rustic Dragon

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  5. Berek

Berek Avatar

Looking forward to watching this next one! Where we the community go to watch the previous ones?

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

7. Armar

Armar Avatar

I can totally second what those "3 guys" (sorry, dont have the names) say about gameplay and storyline starting at 1:12 in the video.

8. Rustic Dragon

Sir Frank likes this.
  9. Rustic Dragon

10. Rustic Dragon

The next Dragonsmeet is this coming Thursday, March 2nd at 8:00 p.m. CST. In addition to a yet to be determined Dragonly Discussion topic, we'll be picking up where we left off for the SotA Roundtable:
    I hope to see you there. :)