"Hearts of Britannia" Valentine's Day Competition

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Holt, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holt

Holt Avatar

[​IMG]
    This is an Official Competition by the Bards of Poets' Circle, on authority of Royal Warrant. Winners of the competition shall be personally rewarded by Lord British and his Court, and have their work performed by Grandmaster Bard Holt Ironfell!

Come one come all, and prepare your submissions for the First Annual "Hearts of Britannia Valentine Day Poetry Slam!" Muster the Truest of Courage, the spirit needed for Love! (Or Trolling.)

Show us how to treat a Lady right, or how to make a grown Knight blush. Impress the beautiful & resourceful Dame Lori or the handsome rockstar & Space Bard Sir Dom with your undying adoration and win the Grand Prize!

To make things challenging: the true author, whether man or woman, peasant or noble, is kept secret from the recipient! Leave it to the target of our affections to decide whose heart is true!

Secondary Prizes will be awarded for love poetry meant for Lord British, Firelotus, Stephen Daniele or Starr Long.

Selected readings Dramatically Narrated by Holt himself to their recipients in a special Google Hangout on February 15th!

After the prize winners have been narrated, and revealed (if so desired by the poet in question) there will be a public Roast, where the most hilarious runner-ups are also anonymously read aloud in theatrical fashion.

Finalists will be reviewed for eventual inclusion in-game! Prizes too be announced shortly, so get writing, poets!

MAY THE BEST POETS WIN LUV 4 ALL TIME!

=================================
    RULES FOR SUBMISSION. READ CAREFULLY.
    =================================
    YOU MAY write to all or any of the 6 judges.

SPECIFY WHO THE POEM IS TO above the poem. That person will judge it. If you do not specify a recipient, it cannot be entered into the pool of contestants!

DO NOT post submissions on the forum or make them public. All submissions are to be kept a SECRET. Failure to do so results in DISQUALIFICATION.

DO NOT include inappropriate/adult content or cursing.

NO MODERN REFERENCES (except in the case of the “roast” aka. funny ones)

MAXIMUM WORD COUNT is 200. This is due to the time constraints upon orally reciting winners' poetry.

INCLUDE in your submission whether or not you wish to remain anonymous IF YOU WIN. All runners-up will still be anonymous.

EMAIL ALL SUBMISSIONS to holt.ironfell@gmail.com -- DO NOT contact anyone else with your poetry until the Competition is over.

DEADLINE for submissions is 10am PST on February 13th, when Holt shall select a selection of the best entries. On the 14th, Valentine's Day, Dame Lori, Sir Dom, Lord British, Firelotus, Stephen and Starr will read the poems, and decide upon their favourite.

WINNERS will be announced and narrated by Holt on a special Live Hangout on February 15th. A Roast shall take place afterward where entertaining anonymous runner-ups are also narrated.

PRIZES will be announced soon, as Lord British and his Court decide upon appropriate honours to bestow upon New Britannia's worthy poets. 2 GRAND PRIZES for poems written for Dame Lori and Sir Dom John, and 4 ADDITIONAL PRIZES are on the table: Lord British, Firelotus, Stephen Daniele & Starr Long.

2. Holt

Holt Avatar

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

Wondrous idea!

Time Lord and Holt like this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

An excellent idea, indeed! Too bad I have absolutely no idea how to write love poetry :( Oh well, I'm sure there are many fine poets in the SOTA community who are up to the task. Good luck to all!

Jambo, Time Lord and Holt like this.
  5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Give it a shot, ask us bards some tips if you wish! Even some of the "bad" ones are going to be read so don't hold back!

The results of this should be quite fun, great idea! :)

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think the bad ones may be more fun that the good ones. :)

7. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

8. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

<3

9. Holt

Holt Avatar

That's why there's gonna be a Roast after, so make sure to stick around for the whole Hangout! :D

Time Lord, Kuno Brauer, rild and 2 others like this.
  10. stile

stile Avatar

I use to hold a poetry contest once a week in Kinship Tavern on Catskills back in my UO days. It went like this.. Give Stile any topic you want. I would then then recite a poem on that topic within a minute on that topic or give them a bag of a thousand gold (no promises it would be GOOD!). I also remember that even when I got use to doing it, it always felt like a very stressful hour *smirks*

That was over a decade ago, and I don't think I've done any poetry since. If I can find the time though I may have to try my hand at this!

11. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Hello Holt, is everyone fair game? I noticed the post and line below mentioned just a few specific people. Also if we make a mistake in our submission will you have the time to review them and e-mail back to give us a chance to revise?
    Show us how to treat a Lady right, or how to make a grown Knight blush. Impress the beautiful & resourceful Dame Lori or the handsome rockstar & Space Bard Sir Dom with your undying adoration and win the Grand Prize!

X

Time Lord, Kuno Brauer, rild and 2 others like this.
  12. Holt

Holt Avatar

Dame Lori & Sir Dom will pick their favorite submission aimed TOWARD either of them. That is first prize, (2 prizes given out totaly)
    Lord British, FireLotus, Stephen & Starr: 4 prizes, these are secondary prizes. They choose their favorite from the finalists I send them.

You may compose a poem for anyone and hope to get into the Roast (which has no prizes, but will be quite hilarious, I promise), but for every rule you break or bend, your poem better be that much more AMAZING.

This is a talent competition, a display of skill and thought. No need to rush, take your time and hone your thoughts and your craft.

Wax Poetica, my friends,

Holt

Time Lord, Kuno Brauer, smack and 4 others like this.
  13. Holt

Holt Avatar

A few clarifications for some IRC members:

Your poem will be judged by who it was written for.

You will win the prize specific to that person. Grand Prizes are Dame Lori and Sir Dom. There are also prizes for the included Devs.

If you do not obey the rules, you are not eligible for any prize, nor will your poem be seen by the 'victims' of our affections, though it may still qualify for the Roast!

The Roast is full of humour, facepalms, groans and wit. There may even be a few surprises, planned. Stay tuned.....

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Holt

Holt Avatar

Also. If you don't know who Dame Lori is, or Sir Dom John of the Space Bards, then I guess you'd better find out if you want to win the Grand Prize, right?

;)

All the tips I'm giving, good luck, young lovers!

Holt

licemeat and Time Lord like this.
  15. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Sir Holt ,

I had taken note to a clarification you may or may not choose to amend your rules with..

number of entries.

Should a person desire to write a poem for each of the 6, someone may be so bold as to attempt that as your rules are not directly stating if it is permitted or not. No, I personally do not have any plan to do this, however just thought perhaps it could be clarified should anyone consider it

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Holt

Holt Avatar

You may write to all six, just specify which you are writing to clearly above each poem.

Time Lord, Badear and Fireangel like this.
  17. Holt

Holt Avatar

18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

@Holt,

What is the deadline for submissions? I want to submit something, but I have a lot of time sensitive things going on.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

DEADLINE for submissions is 10am PST on February 13th, when Holt shall select a selection of the best entries. On the 14th, Valentine's Day, Dame Lori, Sir Dom, Lord British, Firelotus, Stephen and Starr will read the poems, and decide upon their favourite.

Time Lord and Umbrae like this.
  20. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

DEADLINE for submissions is 10am PST on February 13th

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.