Hello, and a question on housing...

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Greymour, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greymour

Greymour Avatar

Hi All!

Just trying out a trial account, seeing how things go... I was a long time UO player, so imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon this! lol. It seems that I came to the party late however, and missed my chance at the original pledges. Maybe someone who's been playing for a while can indulge me, and answer some questions/concerns:

Basically, will it be even possible to get place-anywhere (is that right?) housing at this point? Or is the only thing I can buy in player towns?

If I can somehow acquire a place-anywhere house, is there land left? Or is this already to the point Ultima got to in its heyday, where literally EVERY scrap of land was occupied?

I'm more of a solo player, so I don't even know if I'll meet someone that owns a town, and would be kind enough to let me place something there... And, if so, what are the conditions? Can they kick anyone out at any time, and get rid of the house?

Will there be more availability coming?

Thanks in advance! I know these are total noob questions that have probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find the answers.

Cheers!

Edit: Late night grammar.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

other players sometimes sell place-anywhere deeds and some deeds won from the lottery are place anywhere.

they're being very careful to make sure no one with a place-anywhere deeds is forced to live in a pot. there will always be at least as many place-anywhere lots as deeds, even if these people choose a pot anyway.

most towns are very open. find one in a location you like and send mail to the governor, i'd say 9 times out of 10 they'll say yes. (in fact, you'll probably get a bunch of responses to this saying "town x has a spot, we'd be glad to have you!" ...but i don't think that's a good way to make a choice, just a good way to see who's on the forums.)

they can theoretically charge their own taxes, but few do. if they evict you, you lose nothing. it all goes to your bank.

3. Alley Oop

one more thing: if you're looking for a lot in a pot, don't be discouraged if a town you like doesn't have any unclaimed ones. governors are given an area budget of lots. some choose to immediately design a town full of empty lots ready to claim, but some only put lots down when someone asks them to, which also has the advantage of getting a choice of location. you can't tell from outside whether the governor has budget left to spare.

4. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

I reckon it is tough to find an empty lot in Brittany central/wharves and in Owl's head. Maybe also in Ardoris. However I know that the odd occasional vacant lot comes up in Brittany fields, and alleys. Provided you aren't looking in Owl's head, Brittany Central or Brittany Wharves, and if you keep an eye out, you will find something. There are also some "City" lots available still in Xenos. About 2 months ago there was a Village lot and a town lot which got freed up in Xenos, but were taken last time I visited there.

Greymour and Time Lord like this.
  5. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

Also, the rental system will come out soon and that way you can pay regular in-game gold for a place; though I assume the owner would be able to evict the tenant if they wanted to.

6. Alley Oop

there are a LOT more npc/prt towns than that and some of them are darn near empty.

7. Nick

Nick Avatar

Hi Greymour,

If you are adventuring around South Paladis (where highvale and resolute are) area, do visit Soryn Fields. If you like my town, we can easily work something out. :) You get to use my vendors to place buy orders or sell your crafted items to other players.

Most town owners are nice people. They can, but they will not kick anyone out without a reason.

Lot deeds are currently available via.
    1) monthly raffle (Lottery). Raffles can be bought from npc vendors (decorations and home), usually found above the banker in most NPC towns.
    2) buy from online/addon store. can only be used in Player owned towns.
    3) buy from other players with in game gold / currency.

Hope that helps.

Nick Cold.

Greymour, Quinn Zorich and Time Lord like this.
  8. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

welcome @Greymour hope you get the full game and join us in our adventure in New Britannia...

looking forward to this... going to offer Free Rooms to Homeless Avatars in Beregost... already got a Viking Village Inn for it courtesy of @Time Lord ... other Avatars with towns and extra lots/houses are also going to offer Free Rooms so having a place in New Britannia is not going to be impossible... :D

Greymour, Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  9. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi Greymour welcome to the game

there are plenty of plots in player owned towns and the game is designed to have a plot for any deed released. towns are growing to meet demand.
    there is also a rental system coming soon
    should be evicted by the town owner or not keep up with your lot taxes then all of your items including the deed and house go to your bank.

I have created a video that might help you with your questions

and finally always ask questions here or in discord or in-game chat we will always endeavour to answer them.

https://discord.gg/dBmxzm for discourd

Greymour likes this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

Hi, Greymour. As has been mentioned, Release 44 will bring with it the ability to rent rooms, and many will be offered. No doubt some will be free. If you would prefer to own your own home (which I suspect is the case), then keep your eye on the Player Marketplace (or buy lottery tickets) for a rare place anywhere deed. If you are OK with living in a Player Owned Town, there are plenty available that will charge nothing (although you will still have to pay tax to the game), and POT deeds are much easier to come by.

Greymour likes this.
  11. Quinn Zorich

Quinn Zorich Avatar

Welcome! I am a longtime UO player myself. Feel free to friend me in game. Name same as Avatar: "Quinn Zorich"

Greymour likes this.
  12. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Hi @Greymour

Generally housing comes at a high cost to entry, either in real world money or in game gold.

My town (and a few others) have programs where we let homeless avatars use a placed, claimed and paid for home in town to get a good introduction to the community and housing in the game. Personally, prior to owning a town I was also very selective about only wanting to live in a NPC town, however, some of the most vibrant communities in the game are in POTs (there are also many ghost town POTs though).

Feel free to check out http://www.knights.watch for more info on my town and out free housing program. I have multiple homes with great locations as well as rooms in an inn available. If you decide to settle in our town you're welcome to stay as long as you like, and if one day you decide to acquire a house and land deed of your own you're welcome to select a spot in the town that's your too.

Astor Cerberus,
    Governor - Knight's Watch

Greymour likes this.
  13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Hello and welcome!

As stated before in many responses above, there will be many rooms where you should be able to place your personal items safely (as the rent system will identify those items as Yours, not the lot owners) and even if you find yourself at odds with the lot owner, all they should be able to do is send your items to the local bank.

People charging coin or barter for you staying on their property have to collect it on your own will as you have to manually mail/send/give items to them as a charge. Portalarium has no automated process for the lot owner to take items/coin from you like an automatic payment process might in modern day.

So don't be overwhelmed with the term rent. It's just the name of a system, and a system that many lot owners will allow others to share the property for no expense at all.

Respectfully,
    Stryker Sparhawk, Governor of White Hart

Greymour likes this.
  14. Greymour

Greymour Avatar

First and foremost thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome! As well as the offers of support. I'm sure you all know how toxic some gaming communities can be, and I can already tell that this isn't the case here. =) I'm still putzing around in the starting area after the bridge, trying to get my bearings... lol. But once I go exploring, I'll be sure to come visit your towns, and check them out.

@Nick Yeah, I'll come swing by soon, thank you for the invitation.
    @skeggy Thank you for the video, that really helped!
    @Quinn Zorich For sure, I'll add you when I get home.
    @Astor Cerberus I'll come and check it out, thank you for the invite.

You guys all rock, and thank you again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.