Hello I am new

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by ildaron, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ildaron

ildaron Avatar

Hello,

As the title states I am new to the game, but what it does not state is how excited I am to be here. Earlier today (around forty minutes ago) I did not know this game existed. Now I do and asked my friend (who owns it) his thoughts. So as it installs my question to the community is this. What advice would you give to a brand new player that you wish you were given? Is there something you enjoy the most, an amazing place to explore, or just some cool people to hang around in game?

Looking forward to your responses!

~ildaron

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Welcome @ildaron to SotA... I'm just a miner so I'll leave the things people enjoy in SotA to other Avatars... LOL... goodluck and have fun in New Britannia... :D

firesparx, Leelu, Acred and 2 others like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome ildaron. Oh that is a fabulous question. Well one piece of advice I give is in regards to being very open to an incompleted game and to find all the hidden and what you might miss if you close yourself off and forget this. Things to make note of :
    1- In this state of development, other players are great resources. We can give you shelter, food, and answer questions, show you around, or be there to chat with ;)
    2-Don't forget whispers can be lost or chats with other player with chat window noise. Click on the blue flower in the chat tabs to make a tab that is for those alone to not lose the conversations.
    3-z is to enter and exit combat and exiting combat replenishes health and focus faster. o is for emotes, others can also trade emotes with you and you can find emotes by talking to certain npc's throughout the word. f is for friends lists and you can add friends here or right click a player or player name as well. b is for recipes which can also be traded if tradeable and found in adventuring. c is for character, i is for inventory, filtering inventory helps so much while hunting for something and clicking the x by the filter restores it. j is for journal. k is to see your experience pool in the lower right and to set skills to untrain, train, or maintain. having more training at once stresses your pool by making you gain slower, and takes it at a faster rate, and some skills won't let you maintain until 40.
    4- if you're looking for a place to stay or place a lot, you can always ask others or post here. You will get many invites since this is the friendliest of all communities I've met.
    5- don't miss out we have music in game, you can play it by having a instrument in your inventory and downloading files to sota sheetmusic folder or buy sheet music from others, or ask i'll happilly give away sheet music anytime ;).
    6- and there is sooooo much to say, but I will stop for others to provide their feedback as well ;) I am Majoria in game, and I am always happy to help. :) Happy adventuring to you. :)

oops edited error, you must have an instrument in your back pack. I have spares if someone would like one ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    firesparx, Leelu, ship2 and 8 others like this.
  4. Selenia

Selenia Avatar

I just started a little while ago to. I'll tell you what I have learned in two weeks that I wish I knew day one:

• When the game tells you to choose the path of love (say "bow" to the oracle) do so... even if you (like me) plan to skip the virtue quests until the game is released. Why? Because the towns you run into on the love quest are much more finished at this time.
    • Archery can be very expensive. The prices for arrows from NPCs in Soltown are higher than you might see from some player merchants. You can also turn off auto-attack in options, this will save you a ton of arrows.
    • Remember to talk to the oracle and take the test every day you login.
    • Random encounters in the open world are nasty. If you plan to win, you must separate the enemies and fight them one at a time.
    • Watch the videos linked in the new players forum. Especially those about making decks.
    • You will die, even in single skull areas, until you learn how to survive. Not everything is about level and skills, a lot has to do with you personal skill.
    I could add more, but must run ;)

Lady Adnor, firesparx, Beli and 5 others like this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

As well as 500 gold from the Oracle every day, you can get 100 gold every time you talk to the town crier in a place you haven't previously visited.
    To pass the Oracle test, first ask the Oracle about your progress, then use that response to decide whether to answer "yes" or"no" to the test.

firesparx, Leelu, Acred and 2 others like this.
  6. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

If you want to play melee char, go with blades (swords). Dual wield or 2h are both viable. Don't use bludgeon or pole arms trees, they are bad right now.

Ranged (archery) is very good. Arrows are only expensive when you are first starting out.

Don't lvl active melee or ranged skills over 40. Focus drain isn't worth it till you are much higher lvl. Level innate skills and any spells as high as you want.

Stay away from mage skill trees except for the Life tree until you get the hang of things and have enough funds to buy regs. You must learn the Life tree to heal.

Make sure to lvl Str, Dex and Int no matter what class archetype you go with.

The type of armor you wear on your chest determines what armor tree skills you can use. Many ppl go with heavy (chain/plate) chest and remaining pieces of cloth armor to minimize spell fizzle chance. Life and Earth trees have lowest fizzle chance, and can be used easily in full plate.

Use sotamap.com and sotaqm.com.

There is tons of good info on this forum.

Welcome and have fun!!

firesparx, Leelu, Stundorn and 4 others like this.
  7. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

usually a streamer or 2 on twitch at any given time stop by say hello and any would try their best to help out ;)

Edit: welcome btw

firesparx, Leelu, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  8. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

Lots of great players have gotten back to you here, but you should also know that the discord server can also be very helpful resource, and a great way to meet more of the community.

This post is a great step in the right direction.

If you plan on getting into crafting, it's always a cool interaction to learn your recipes from other crafters. Don't be shy to ask around, and chat up some people you see. (Most people are very friendly and welcoming)

I hope you enjoy exploring the game :) feel free to add me ig (Abahinadan Flameblaster)

By Tor, firesparx, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome @ildaron!

The advice that came to my mind has already been given, but feel free to add me to your friends list and give me a whisper in game if you need anything, have questions or want company. :)

firesparx, Arcanoxer, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  10. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

firesparx and majoria70 like this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia !!!

My advice is don't believe the Oracle , there's a Seer outside in Drachvald who's predictions are always become true *cough* :D

Feel free to ask in and out of the game, explore, immerse, don't compete with the grind or feel a need to hurry things, just play and have fun the way you play!!!

12. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Welcome @ildaron :D!! feel free to add me to your friends list (galahad dragonsbane)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  13. Vero

Vero Avatar

Welcome to this great game @ildaron!

firesparx, Leelu and majoria70 like this.
  14. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Hello and a huge Welcome!

majoria70, firesparx and Kabalyero like this.
  15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Welcome to the SotA family, ildaron! One piece of advice is - look for the players with hospitaller above their name. They've taken that title as players who are in-game to help anyone who needs it. So, they will be happy to help if you whisper to them (right click their name and choose whisper to do this).

Really though, most any player will be happy to help you with or without that title. It's a wonderful community!

firesparx and chuck5086 like this.
  16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations @ildaron and @Selenia, welcome to the Shroud of the Avatar community!

firesparx, Arcanoxer and By Tor like this.
  17. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

@ildaron Welcome! Add me in game: Aidenolm Rosemourne. Feel free to ask me any questions any time. I frequently haunt Soltown, so if you see me, wave. I'll be happy to assist in any way i can :)

majoria70, firesparx and chuck5086 like this.
  18. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game. Let's hope you'll have a great time :) Development is always there and that's good thing.

majoria70 and By Tor like this.
  19. Lady Addy

Lady Addy Avatar

A very warm welcome to you, @ildaron
    As you can see, the main strength of this game is the community and your fellow adventures. Please feel free to ask questions. I have been here since almost the dawn of time and I am still learning.

majoria70 and chuck5086 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.