Help for a returning backer?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Ishel, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ishel

Ishel Avatar

Hello everyone,

I backed this game way back at day one and played for a while, but the game felt incomplete to me, so I decided to wait until closer to launch. I just decided to play regularly a couple of days ago - and my goodness, things have changed, and I don't know very much and feel a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have any suggestions on places I can go to familiarize myself with so many changes since the beginning? I know that they have recaps, but I'd really rather not read through 40-something release notes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, glad to see a map was added.

Thanks much for your help!

Vladamir Begemot and Kara Brae like this.
  2. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I would say your best bet would be to hook up with one of the many Hospitalers in the game and then just ask questions you might have. Many of us veterans are more then happy to answer questions and help out. You can also join one of the many wonderful guilds which can be helpful. Shadow's Rest and Outlander Resourse Center are both player own towns that are set up to help new players that are starting. You are also welcome to visit my town Verat Chaos we almost always have people around that can help you as well. You can friend me in game Andaritanna Zazeriz or chat with me on my radio show discord channel http://www.snashow.com

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello and welcome. Really this game ended up going in so many directions. It is difficult to know where to start. You'll have to give us more hints of the type of player you are. Like for example are you planning on running through Quests?

Are you planning on doing PvP, crafting? Do you enjoy music because we have a great music system and you can sync songs with other players even join or play in a band? We have many types of instruments.

Do you want to be a merchant? We even have a fantastic mail system. You can have a mail order business. You can mail items through the mail.

Do you want to be an adventurer? Explore the game kill bosses, do group hunting. As far as the game has come some more beloved features will be coming in before we know it. The game will continue monthly releases after launch. Really there is so much to say to tell you just like that. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help I would be happy to help.

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome back!

To familiarize yourself with lots of changes (combat, deck system, etc), I would recommend spending some time in your starting area before moving on. There are loads of side quests that will help to familiarize yourself with different aspects of the game.

The map is indispensable. I prefer to use the larger map on https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ rather than use the one in-game.

Trivia: Since you have been away for a long time you may not know that this map was created by a player, Jakub White, and used by players for many, many releases before Portalarium bought it and incorporated it into the game.

I understand that you aren't interested in reading through huge volumes of release notes, but I highly recommend the Player Instructions. They are easy to use because you can either use the table of contents to jump to the section you are interested in at the moment or you can use your browser search (on PC Ctrl+F) to search for exactly what you want to know on the web page. You can access them in-game by clicking on the question mark in the upper left. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub

Sotawiki.net is very helpful as well, and I refer to it almost daily.

Feel free to add me to your friends and ask questions, most people are eager to help.

5. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Welcome @Ishel !!!

Feel free to add me too to your friend and whisper in game if you need any help, advices or just company :)

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Welcome back!. There are a ton of youtube videos by players out there that are very informative. Just be careful that they are more current with up to date infomation.
    Same name in game if I can be of any help!

7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Welcome back! A very exciting time for all Avatars!

8. Ishel

Ishel Avatar

Thanks for your help, everyone. In-game name is Ishel, if anyone wants to hang out.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome back!

If you're near the S Mart Factorium and there's smoke coming up from the chimney, I'm probably there, or someone who will be happy to answer is.

First step: Don't panic! Yes, the game can be overwhelming because there is so much to do, just like life. I recently started a new character and have had some moments like that with him, even though I've been playing since persistence.

Don't pick up everything you see.

If you've made it to an Outskirts, play all the way through. It's a gentle intro.

Here's combat videos I made, smashed down to as short as I could make them and still (I think) be useful. Ignore the line about opening your utility bar, it's now open by default.

The red wagon is the exit to Novia.

All three quest lines are meant to be played through at the same time, so if one gets too hard, jump over to another. I suggest making the jump after you finish an Outskirts and have gone to the main city associated with it, turned in the main quests there, and gotten the next step. Then jump to the next Outskirt and start again.

You can get between these areas by using Lunar Rifts. If you don't mind using the web for in game stuff, here's a handy clock: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://xi6.com/i/sotaclock.html

The places that start the quest lines are Solace Bridge, Blood River, and Highvale.

And finally, when you get super lost and don't know what to do next, go to a dance party and blow off some steam.

See you in game!

majoria70 and Ishel like this.
  10. Ishel

Ishel Avatar

That's super helpful - thanks!

majoria70 and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  11. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi Ishel

welcome back to the world of Novia
    if you need help please contact me and I will help you in the game I have created videos that can be found on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/skeggymedia and I stream on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/skeggy_media and happy adventuring in this World full of Adventure.

hope my videos help you to familiarise yourself with the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.