Heraldry

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Sir Frank KC, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

This is cool. Will we be able to use SotA symbols like Darkstarr, Founder, Benefactor, icons on the crafting sigil, etc.?

O`Sullivan likes this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Best forum name yet. All your posts get my upvote. All hail the Great Lord Darksharrt.

DarkSharrt likes this.
  3. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Shart...there are symbols from the craft, magic, and combat sigils ready to go into the generator.

DarkSharrt and Golem Dragon like this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I'd say probably not exactly the same symbols, but perhaps something similar.

DarkSharrt and Golem Dragon like this.
  5. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

What can I say? Chaos is hard to control. Sometimes it...slips.

O`Sullivan likes this.
  6. Royou

Royou Avatar

Cwmbran South Wales UK (Gods own Country)
    I've looked and looked for my family crest/coat of arms, and have given up for the moment, I have contacted family all over the world, but can't find any information of my family name of Royou after they fled France in the 1790's, it's as if they vanished from the face of the earth, I have information that I've collected over the years, sadly I can't ask my father as he passed away 2 years ago, he told me to talk to my Grand mother many years ago, all she would tell me was that I should not dig to deep, as I would not like what I'd find, all I ever hit was walls, I know we had one and was told as much but nobody knows what it is, I know that in France the family were wine makers, my grand mother told me that in France our ancestors were in the line of work that my father was, and that this was instrumental to why they fled France, this used to confuse the hell out of me as my father was a printer, my grand mother told me that if I dug to deep that our family enemies would hunt us down and kill us, and that i'd be tortured, this used to scare the crap out of me, and my mother would say that Nan was just a mean old lady, as I write this I still have a slight amount of trepidation as to what I will be awakening, but that's just silly isn't it...............?

So anyway (taking a deep breath and a gulp, I'll continue) with all the excitement of wanting to have my family crest/coat of arms in game, and as I use the name Royou for everything, I started where I left off 33 years ago into researching the family name of Royou, which has now changed from a surname and become a middle name, that my father told me could only be given to the oldest son of each line, I don't understand that myself, but it is my birthright so being a tradition have to follow it, even though my mother was adamant that it not be given to me, I use it as it is mine to use, much to her annoyance, anyway getting back to the story, with the advent of computers and the internet, I thought it would be very easy and so I started digging and started with my great grand father Robert Royou Beard, thinking and hoping that I'd not have to go any further, if only life was so easy :( no luck there, so I dug a little deeper, but not understanding french has made it difficult, can trace them to 1790's France and yep Nan was right, it was a shocker, ironic really that my father the last to be born to that name in our family line of the tree was a printer, though he will not be the last of that name when I have son's of my own, as with the tradition of only the oldest getting it...... don't know with that, will have to wait and see, my partner say's that it's just a name, but it's a name with history and very special to me, so I'll keep looking till I find my family crest, I hope to find a meaning for the family name as well, but that has been difficult also :( just hope that my Nan's words of caution don't come back to haunt me, but that's just silly right.................?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sir Frank

Very interesting, and I will see what I can find.
    First thing I found was this:

Decree Abolishing Hereditary Nobility and Titles
    19 June 1790
    1. The National Assembly decrees that hereditary nobility is forever abolished. Consequently, the titles of Prince, Duke, Count, Marquis, Viscount, Vidame, Baron, Knight, Lord, Squire, Noble, and all other similar titles shall neither be accepted by, nor bestowed upon, anyone whomsoever.
    2. A citizen may assume only the real name of his family. No one may wear livery or have them worn, nor may anyone have a coat of arms. Incense shall be burned in churches only to honor the Divinity, and shall not be offered to any person.
    3. The titles of Your Royal Highness and Your Royal Highnesses shall not be bestowed upon any group or individual, nor shall the titles of Excellency, Highness, Eminence, Grace, etc. Under pretext of the present decree, however, no citizen can take the liberty of attacking either the monuments in churches or the charters, titles, and other documents concerning families or properties, or the decorations in any public or private place. Also, the implementation of the provisions related to liveries and coats of arms placed upon carriages may not be effected or required by anyone at all until 14 July for citizens living in Paris, and for three months for those living in the provinces.
    4. The present decree does not apply to foreigners; they may preserve their liveries and coats of arms in France.

Source: John Hall Stewart, A Documentary Survey of the French Revolution (New York: Macmillan, 1951), 142–43. (Slightly retranslated)..

rild and Lord Royou like this.
  8. Royou

Royou Avatar

Wow thank you Sir Frank you are a true gentleman, Thank you :)

Time Lord and rild like this.
  9. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

That being said^...we can easily create a new arms for you that reflects something of the family. As a printer I would think a book would be the centerpiece. French heritage...Fleur de Lis. Choose your favorite colors and we could go from there.

rild and Lord Royou like this.
  10. Royou

Royou Avatar

That would be great, would like a Welsh dragon or the prince of wales feathers as I'm very proud to be Welsh, and a Westie would be very nice, a Wesite rearing up on either side would be epic lol, but I like the printer/book idea as it would be a homage to my late father as well as family, as well as the Fleur de Lis could have them with the feathers coming out of or over the Fleur de Lis.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Per fess argent and gules, in pale a welsh dragon and an open book Or charged with two fleur de lis sable.

Lord Royou:
    [​IMG]

Time Lord and Lord Royou like this.
  12. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

He gave ya a like KW go for it!

13. aevans

aevans Avatar

Thanks for the quick response. I decided to change the lozenge to a roundel for a softer look. I'll forgo using a hide and go with a basic shape. Is roundel purpure fimbriated copper allowed on sable?

(per enarched fess azure and vert chief sable ( roundel purpure fimbriated copper roundel purpure fimbriated copper roundel purpure fimbriated copper roundel purpure fimbriated copper roundel purpure fimbriated copper)

The hand icon was just a placeholder. Can you switch it out with http://soacoa.org/wiki/File:Griffonpassant_outlines.svg
    That images looks like it is just the outline, can you fill it in with argent and leave the sable outline for contrast?

14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

15. aevans

aevans Avatar

Sir Frank likes this.
  16. Sir Frank

Just let me know the name, and I'll get it uploaded.

17. Royou

Royou Avatar

Thank you, I loved it :)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. BlueEyedGator

BlueEyedGator Avatar

Hello kind sirs! I am new to the game (to pc gaming in general actually) and am waiting for my accounts to be merged before pledging to Knight level (hopefully it will get done soon.) In the meantime I have been working on my shield, name and lore. I used a generator I found on the net and I'm sure it's not quite up to par and am not opposed to it being worked on if someone feels like it. I would like to keep the colors, charge, name and motto but am flexible on how it's best put together. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, being somewhat technically inept, I can't get the picture inserted or the link to work. Is there another way I can send it to you? Once it's approved, how do we submit our name and lore (I apologize for not reading all the posts, I tried but it's ALOT, lol)?

Thanks in advance! :)

19. Sir Frank

Please give us a basic description here, and we'll take it from there.
    All we really need are colors and charge. We can use Blue Eyed Gator as a place holder while you settle on a name. We won't need motto, since we're not using those in the college in Episode 1.

20. BlueEyedGator

BlueEyedGator Avatar

Thanks for the quick response! Blue with black cross and white wolf. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.