1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Here Come "Roving Encounters"

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Sannio, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Good construct. Much better than random encounters.

One request though: Would be nice if getting pulled into an encounter didn't hurt your experience pool. I'm sort of a mid-level player now. I'd hate to see my XP pool shrink because I have to fight some low-level skeletons or whatever if I can't avoid them on the map.

OK also a second request: Please don't put too many of these on the roads. I understand why some encounters should be on the road (bandits especially), but given the slowdown in travel speed away from the roads, don't want too many road-based encounters.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Finally! :)

Acred likes this.
  3. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Love the roving encounters. Can we still have ambushes though?

4EverLost, Acred and LoneStranger like this.
  4. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

At last! happy dance!
    [​IMG]

I have one question @Sannio. what's going to happen with the concept of random encounters? are they gone for good and all replaced by roving encounters? Some encounters may not be triggered by enemies but for an interesting location, or element.

4EverLost and Acred like this.
  5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

@Sannio

Will some of the roving/random encounters be quest starters?

6. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Looking forward to trying this out!

I too agree that there should still be some random ambush type encounters ...

4EverLost and LoneStranger like this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I'm happy to see this feature finally appear. The random encounters were slightly annoying, especially when you were trying to meet party members somewhere and you got sucked in and delayed.

I am leary about the ability of these encounters chasing you to engage though, and hope there will be ample time to avoid them if we want.

I like that we will have a choice to avoid them, but I hope that doesn't mean we have to take a much longer walk on the overworld map to do so. The reduced travel speeds (unless on roads) is already slowing down my fun as it is.

I love the idea of being able to see them and choose whether to engage... much better than random game stoppage... but I realy hope it's fairly easy to escape if desired too.

Also, it would be cool if the creatures in the scene scaled up to your level to make it worth while. Or, better yet, before loading the scene, give us 4 options for the encounter: Easy (all green and maybe a blue), Medium (all blue and maybe a yellow or two), Hard (all yellow and a red or two), and Elite (all red and on orange or two... maybe a boss mob!)

That would cool because if we can't avoid them, at least it would let us choose how much time we can expect to spend in them. Who knows, maybe the Elite option would make it actually fun to hunt them down instead of avoiding them too.

8. Liz

Liz Avatar

Sounds good, but don't forget the gypsies, merchant wagons, friendly NPCs who give quests and also make it more alive with wildlife (deer running around...) like you had it in an early prototype.

wagon:

wildlife:

moko, Hornpipe, 4EverLost and 8 others like this.
  9. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Corv, no posting on these threads until Ultima IX: Redemption is completed. Back to work with you! :p:D

Corv likes this.
  10. Liz

Liz Avatar

haha :D You will (hopefully) like our huge December update ;)

11. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

The one NPC is not intended to be a literal representation of what you might find in the scene. So, the one bandit roving in Novia represents "a bandit encounter" which currently means about 10 bandits (but that number can change with future encounter variations).

4EverLost, Themo Lock, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  12. Sannio

Party situations should work similar to how they already do. Let's say you and I are in a party. We're both trucking across Novia and you get pulled into a roving bandit encounter. I see you and the bandit disappear, and in the same location I see the special icon in the world that shows me where my fellow party member entered a scene, and I can click on that icon to join you in the encounter scene.

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

This is awesome!

Will there be rewards for completing the encounter as well? Or perhaps a quest that comes out of getting into an encounter?

Black Tortoise and majoria70 like this.
  14. Sannio

Roving encounter NPCs will appear in the world the same as their non-overworld counter parts. This means they'll already be in the overworld map when you enter it. If one goes away and needs to be respawned, they replacement will pop into the scene without any special spawn-in animation or fading effect (but that could change in the future).

15. Sannio

The movement speed of roving encounter NPCs will not be affected by terrain types and they will all move at their normal movement rate. Our testing has shown this means you'll probably never be able to run away once these NPCs see you unless you're smart/lucky and can use a paved road or dirt path (your fastest overworld movement rate) to escape.

16. Sannio

To be technical about it, the roving NPC triggers a teleporter that sends you into a scene with one or more of that same NPC. If you run from the dragon to force a wolf encounter to occur, you'll be in the wolf encounter scene with no dragons. It's one or the other.
    No, the roaming encounter NPCs don't enter scenes other than the one they are trying to bring you into.

17. Sannio

Looking far ahead--probably really far ahead--the goal is to have more than one encounter scene associated with each roving encounter NPC. So, instead of a roving skeleton pulling you into the exact same scene every time, maybe one time you get pulled into a long-dormant battleground, another time you'd stumble into a horrific ritual, a third variant would be a farm overrun with the undead who are surrounding a panicked family. Things like that. We're not working on these types of encounters anytime soon, but that's the long-term dream.

18. Sannio

There aren't any plans right now for roving/random encounters to be related to quests, but it's a neat idea.

Hornpipe, 4EverLost, lollie and 5 others like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

This is exciting news. Thanks. Hopefully we are not just pulled into creature fights that are randomized. When Richard mentioned being pulled into scenes where you had choices to help or non virtuous choices to kill the NPC's or of course other choices the more the better it sounded great. If we are just pulled into creature fight scenes all the time then it fails imo. I do love that we will see more on our maps and that we are getting a more interactive map. My one concern is for the types of randomized encounters we get coming in, are they all angry or can we interact with them, feed them, help them in some way, have choices besides kill, kill, kill and for what reward? Reward is ultra important.;) Ahhh but of course we have to start somewhere, but just to articulate this randomness is not random if it is just creature fights, it is just more of the same. :)

20. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

I like the way this works; follows the tenant of basic RPG ... Although you are in a party, depending on the scenario, only one or few of the party may be aware of something occurring; and the member(s) involved don't have to share that with the others.

I have been in party with a friend in SotA, where I was in the lead on the road overland and he got pulled into an encounter. Even though we were on voice chat, he failed to mention it because he thought I was pulled in too. If I hadn't "looked behind me" I'd have not known he was pulled into a scene until he actually said something. Some may take this as a reason to pull all of the party members (local to the incident) into the scene, but I think it's exactly what should occur. If I was running a game and my players weren't paying attention, then the fates would have a field day with them! :)

Black Tortoise, Elwyn and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.