Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Here's a tip if your patcher hangs...

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Marishka, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marishka

Marishka Avatar

If you find that the SOTA patcher sits at 0 transfer rate (or some other anemic speed) and isn't downloading, you can close the patcher and open the patch file (SOTA installation folder)/Downloads/StandaloneWindows_493_495.sotapatch in a standard torrent application ( such as uTorrent ).

Make sure you set the output to the same folder.

I got a 2.6 mb/s download rate and finished in less than 5 minutes.

After the download completes, close uTorrent ( or whatever you used ) and re-launch the SOTA patcher. It will then validate the download, discover that you have 100%, unzip and apply the patch.

Be patient while the patch is applied! Patching resources.assets* may take awhile. Closing the patcher while Applying update may force a complete download of the game. If that ever does happen, this technique will speed the full client download too. Overall expect 10+ minutes. And then you're done! Launch and enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Zigmalion, Spoon, Tahru and 14 others like this.
  2. Osiris3

Osiris3 Avatar

was about to post instructions on this but you beat me to it.

FYI, my download location was the torrent default (i.e. username\downloads\torrent). after the download was done, i simply cut/pasted torrent file into the \Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Downloads folder and re-launched the client.

I'll post links from last months thread to this in case some are having the same issue; which i did.

Cheers

3. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

4. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

This time around I am getting pretty good throughput on the download for the patcher, which has historically been rather slow and did essentially die with R34. So they must have fixed something!

Acred, Moiseyev Trueden and Marishka like this.
  5. shrinkwrap

shrinkwrap Avatar

I got a crash the first time I tried to update the client to 495. Relaunched, and enjoyed zero speed. Relaunched and same. Came here to see how to download the updates because I'm sick of my computer taking (in some cases all night) too much time for the download, then way too much time to patch. Thanks to you guys for this solution, as it has allowed me to figure out how to use Utorrent to download the update files. WTF? why do we have to go through this in order to update the file? Sigh... I have a second computer which seems to always breeze through the download and install. Go figure. I'll have to go back to uni to figure out why I guess...

6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Great info. Hope @Berek can pin this somewhere for others having an issue.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Acred likes this.
  7. Krofft

Krofft Avatar

i have tried this... got the file (StandaloneWindows_493_495.sotapatch) downloaded and in the folder (2.17gb) but the patcher is still trying to down load the file at some ridiculously slow speed... any idea why the patcher is not recognizing the already downloaded version...

Moiseyev Trueden and Acred like this.
  8. shrinkwrap

shrinkwrap Avatar

It's not all clear to me, but perhaps where you are downloading the file to, is not the place the SOTA launcher is looking for it? Look in your folders inside the sota folder, and look for previous files downloaded like listed in the first post. That's where the launcher is looking. The file you download with Utorrent if not placed there, must be moved to that spot. There will already be a file in the correct folder that the launcher has downloaded itself. If you downloaded via Utorrent into another folder, move the file.

Then, all you have to do is quit out of Utorrent, and run the launcher. You'll know you did it correctly if you see the blue percentage line on the launcher window move at light speed-that is, until it unzips then starts to apply the patch.

Good luck!!

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Appreciate the "workaround", but we can't seriously expect the masses to wish to do this or are technically capable of doing this.

This needs to be fixed, by Portalarium, and the sooner the better....

10. Marishka

Marishka Avatar

Yes, true. I think they're saving money until the actual release. A torrent doesn't require an expensive hosting solution with lots of bandwidth. But the patcher does have issues.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes it does.

12. Krofft

Krofft Avatar

yes i have it downloaded to (SOTA installation folder)/Downloads/StandaloneWindows_493_495.sotapatch per your original post...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Downloads

13. ITPalg

ITPalg Avatar

Downloaded quickly after stopping, but yes, the actual updating takes time.
    I use qBittorrent.

Moiseyev Trueden, Acred and Marishka like this.
  14. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Thanks, thats it!

Moiseyev Trueden, Acred and Marishka like this.
  15. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

I use the Vuse downloader, works great. Patch downloads in a flash but the applying part is what takes the most time. Hope they resolve the issues with their patcher as it is the slowest thing I have ever used.

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Thank you for this... it's working great! I also noticed some huge files in that folder from previous releases that never got deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.