Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Hi, I'm new but keep crashing at 'connecting'

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by jammaplaya, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I've tried various things, and I've had this problem since like April, so I'm sad to say I've only played offline thusfar which suxxors.

Before it was windows install, now steam, still the same problem. I put in the login info and BAM windows encountered a problem and has to close... click OK....

Windows 10. I used to have windows 8.1 then upgraded to windows 10 for free, before I ever tried to play SOTA. So I don't know if it's related.

This laptop is an Acer, it has 6gb ram, and plays offline mode just fine.

I've heard some users were able to solve the issue back in February by playing in 32 bit mode, which isn't an option anymore anyways. So I can't say if that would help or not.

There's only a couple threads of people having this problem. Let this be the last, and please get me on the multiplayer already!!

HELP MEEEEE

I don't know what else I can tell you. I don't know what a crash log is or where to find one, not a clue. And my only install now is through steam. I just want to play this game online. It's been months. I need a fix. I'm sorry if I'm coming on a tad strong here but sheesh, need fix plz halp.

Tahru, Mata, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  2. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

So sorry you are having this issue. I am sure some of our more Tech Savvy Ops will chime in soon. Hopefully someone can help and if not always @ Berek and he can direct you to someone that can . There have been many issues and the Staff are working as hard as they can. Be assured you are not alone. Hope it is fixed soon.

Tahru, Mata and Time Lord like this.
  3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

cool, well thanks for the reply.

I'll fill you in on the details of things I've already tried.

Windows install: tried running as admin. tried turning off firewall.

Steam: tried turning off firewall. tried running steam as admin.

Just nothing works. Can't figure out why.

Tahru, Mata, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the community!

64-bit should be better than 32-bit. Do you know if the version of Windows 10 you're running is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Are you using the standalone client or Steam?

Tahru, Mata, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

64 bit windows 10 and I downloaded/play this time through steam.

I had read that some users, weather windows 8 or 10, who had the same problem months ago, were able to deselect windows 64 bit in the launcher options, which worked and they were able to log on finally, however it's not an option anymore according to forum users in older threads.

here's some links to older threads where people were having the same issue, and none of the threads ever got resolved.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/launch-crash.48238/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crash-when-trying-to-log-in.48435/

Tahru, Mata and Time Lord like this.
  6. enderandrew

You can have Steam validate the game install. Right-click the game, Properties, Local Files tab, Validate Integrity of Game Cache

Is there anything in your Windows Event Viewer when it crashes?

Fringe, Mata and Time Lord like this.
  7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

all files successfully validated. still won't run.

Faulting application name: Shroud of the Avatar.exe, version: 5.3.6.14464, time stamp: 0x579f1533
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x578997b2
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000003061d
    Faulting process id: 0x1a44
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1fa95bf0a2533
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: c80c382a-2405-4c1e-94b8-b7985878e0bf
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

So after a little googling about the ntdll.dll file, others who have had issues with other applicatons because of this file are saying that they needed to reinstall windows and leave out the nvidia driver updates or something. Maybe this will help me solve the problem.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. enderandrew

ntdll is a core windows DLL reference in most every crash sadly.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

well im tired of having this issue so what im going to do is take the ntdll.dll file out of my 'windows.old' folder from when this laptop was windows 8.1 and replace it in the new windows 10 folder.

hax

i'll do a system backup beforehand lol

cross fingers and ty for the help sire

Time Lord likes this.
  10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

well it didn't work, but it also didn't blow up my computer either. so yeah. still boned

tbh it didn't let me do it anyways.

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  11. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Gonna tag @Attenwood in this thread. He might have solutions for you.

12. Katu

Katu Avatar

Hi there, don't click that close button. Even if everything goes gray and the question pops up, just wait. It will load the game. I had that problem when the game was installed on normal HDD. Now it sits in SSD so no problems anymore.
    So, if it does not shutdown, let it run, it will eventually get in to the game.

13. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Nay, unfortunately it actually says 'shroud of the avatar.exe has stopped working'' unlike when it says 'not responding' where you can wait and see if it will recover. It's straight crashing on this.

And on top of that, it just seems as though I'm going to have to continue some intense troubleshooting with the help of google. I've already done a series of things and nothing has helped. It looks strongly like I will need to reinstall windows and do a total wipe on this hard drive in order to fix it.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Could you include your system info? Sorry about your problems and welcome it's nice to meet you.

Mata and Time Lord like this.
  15. enderandrew

Are you able to play other games?

Have you tried manually installing updated Nvidia drivers?

Mata and Time Lord like this.
  16. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Hail majoria70,

well take into account that when I purchased this laptop it was windows 8.1, and then I took advantage of the free upgrade to windows 10

so here's the specs

AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics 1.80GHz
    6.00 GB ram (4.96 GB usable)
    64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor
    Windows 10 Home

Well I'm not sure I even have Nvidia anyways, but I had read someone who said they had a problem with ntdll.dll and related it to nvidia drivers so I thought that may be the case.

At any rate, I actually went through every device in the device manager and updated every driver there was, and then restarted the computer, but it didn't help unfortunately.

Thanks again by the way, I really appreciate all the help from everyone here.

Mata, Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  17. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

also I should mention that I only crash when trying to connect to SOTA multiplayer. Everything else works fine, including a host of other online games, games, programs. No other crashes. Which is why at first I suspected that the issue was with SOTA itself, but now guessing that is not the case.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@jammaplaya. We need to send this to a bug report to get you all the help you need. So I'll tag @DarkStarr as well. Best wishes for a speedy solution for you.:)

Time Lord and jammaplaya like this.
  19. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Thank thee.

Tis strange to be having this issue indeed, stranger still to be the only one currently experiencing it.

I've also switched to administrator, scanned HD for any errors or viruses, and came up short, did an sfc scan to see if ntdll was corrupt, which it wasnt...

Nary an idea to be had at this point. Totally stumped.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

The only contribution I can make is this - looking at the requirements for Shroud:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_031
    The MINIMUM requirement is 6 Gb RAM, which you have. Recommended is 8 Gb. You may be skating on the edge, which MIGHT explain the difficulty in connection in multiplayer mode. (I'm not a tech, so take this with a grain of salt...)
    You may get away with it by unloading every app possible, so you have more RAM available.
    Upgrading RAM in a laptop is not always easy (or cheap) but if possible you may want to think about it.
    Best of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.