Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Hi, I'm new but keep crashing at 'connecting'

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by jammaplaya, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Given that the game launches and runs in offline mode, I don't think it is a matter of compatibility mode. I've been running SotA in Windows 10 without compatibility mode since the first Windows 10 Tech Preview.

I really do think it is RAM. And upgrading RAM should help with other games and overall system performance.

Hard drives on laptops are even slower than spinning disks on desktops. If you go up to 16GB you can probably disable your Windows pagefile and see a nice performance boost.

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I moved this to the bug forums since this is a failure case, not really a discussion.

This does appear to be a case where your system falls below minimum spec. You have 6 GB of RAM but you don't have a video card so you don't actually have enough RAM to run the game. It is just luck that you are able to run in Offline mode because you don't have to load in all the other players, houses, decorations, server messages, etc. that take up extra memory.

enderandrew likes this.
  3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

wrong on both accounts my good friends,

it after all is a problem that is well known, detailed here:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...on-going-login-crash.50191/page-2#post-627251

in (5?) months it would have been nice to have this fixed before final wipe... or at least find a way to redirect players who are having this issue to the right information, before they start formatting etc, which wont help.

nothing to do with RAM as suspected

4. enderandrew

It might still have to do with RAM.

The release they switched to Unity 5.3, they got rid of the 32-bit version and mandated 6 GB of RAM. So this broke at that release for these players. We know you don't meet the actual listed minimum specs for the game.

However, it is possible there is an odd Unity 5.3 bug specific to these APU processors.

Portalarium could buy hardware to to test that specific situation, or ask Unity to do that. But it also wouldn't hurt you to drop $30/$60 on a RAM upgrade that will be beneficial to you either way.

5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

6. enderandrew

What is the exact model of your laptop? I can confirm what type/speed of RAM you need. You can probably get a single 8 GB stick for $30, put it where your 2GB stick is and go from 6 to 14 GB of RAM for $30.

It would be nice to know definitively if this is the issue or not, and you should see benefit from the upgrade either way

7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

acer E5-521 series

8. enderandrew

Good news and bad news.

Good news:
    You can get an upgrade for $31. It is a 4GB and a 2GB stick installed currently. Just pull out the 2GB stick and put in a 8GB stick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231727

Bad news:
    They didn't put in a panel to easily access the RAM like many/most notebooks. You have to remove a few extra screws, but it is still fairly easy and there is a YouTube video showing how you can open that laptop.

9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

nice, ty mate.

maybe in the meantime developers could re-enable 32 bit mode, so that us poor fellows dont miss land rush?
    can someone tag some staff here?

10. enderandrew

Sadly, more of the good news/bad news category.

I confirmed with someone else who has the same APU and problem that more RAM did not fix the issue for them.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...on-going-login-crash.50191/page-2#post-627744

@Attenwood - Do we have a JIRA open for this? This looks like this issue has existed for months (since going to 64-bit and Unity 5.3) for all AMD APU users. This may be a Unity upstream bug, but it would be nice to get this fixed one way or another.

jammaplaya likes this.
  11. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.