Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Higher level gather nodes should grant more raw material

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Rasmenar, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

So, high tier nodes grant a much higher chance at "rare" resources... which is awesome. Except for when you've got 30 tin and 80 copper... that's enough to make 10 bronze bars when you have enough tin to make 30. And you can't just go mine lower tier copper nodes, because of the fact that your producer level is high enough that you get reduced XP from mining low tier nodes.

I get wanting to encourage people to mine the tier of nodes that they're skilled enough for, but that means you should be getting more base materials from those nodes so that you feel like you don't have to split your time between high and low tier nodes to make sure you have enough base material (copper, iron, animal hide, wood) to make advanced materials (bronze, meteoric iron, crimson pine, soft leather).

So far, across the board, I have way more "rare materials" than I have the base materials to upgrade them... the exception being cloth. That's one situation where I get far more cotton than I need to use all my beetle carapace... because of how rare the beetle carapace is.

Edit: For a little perspective, crafting a rock maple bow stave requires 10 pine resin and 60 maple wood/240 wood scraps. If I'm just cutting down trees in high level zones, I'm much more likely to get to 10 pine resin before getting to 60 maple wood.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. Lace

Lace Avatar

Skilling up meticulous collection will allow you to gather more common items per node. When I got field dressing to 55-70 or so last release sometimes one animal would yield 10 hides, commonly 3-6. I don't feel you really see the benefit often till over 40 or so, which takes forever to get to in forestry and foraging imho.

SmokerKGB, Jivalax Azon and FrostII like this.
  3. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Skilling up meticulous also allows you to collect more rare resource per node, at the same rate. It's basically like getting lucky and mining a second node right after the first, same drop chance for rares as far as I can see. I've had double and even triple tin from one copper node. The proportion of rare:base materials is still off, even with meticulous. Same goes for suet on high level animals. I've had 10 hides, 4 suet and 3 heads from a single animal before.

Skilling meticulous also increases the amount of base material you get from lower level nodes, and with the exception of skinning that means you get more base material more quickly since the gather bar is faster.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'd be curious to know what each of your mining skills are presently.... ;)

5. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

My rate of tin to copper is more like 1 to 5. If you got 30 tin to 80 copper you got lucky with the nodes. From 80 copper I would expect about 16 tin on average.

6. Noric

Noric Avatar

Seconding Frost here. Have you had this happen on R26? If so what levels of mining and what location in game? I ask because i have rather high mining skills and have put in a good deal of time and not seen this in rR26.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Mid-tier mining skills (60's on proficiency, 50's on swift gather and meticulous), but I've had triple tin happen in Etceter Crag Mines and in Graff Gem Mines so far in release 26.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry but this falls under I want it now category, True for testing could be easier but as it stands the rates are just fine. Especially since Met Collections is the increase you want :-(

FrostII likes this.
  9. Noric

Noric Avatar

Leaves me very confused. I have 78 mining, 115 Swift and 100 Metic. I often mine in Etceter and i even decided to maintain a spreadsheet for 100 meticulous chains in a row . I had one chain that got me 9 copper - but out of those 100 i never once got more than 1 of any single type of rare ore.

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

Do you mean like this:
    [​IMG]
    Or that it would be two Nickel or two Tungsten?
    I pulled that meticulous mining earlier this evening.

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Noric

Noric Avatar

I mean 2x tin , 2x nickel, 2x tungsten or 2x zinc.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Those are some bizarre numbers.
    How in the world did you manage to get 115 Swift Gathering and 100 Meticulous Collection, while holding back your Mining Proficiency to 78? It would have to be intentional, I would think.

13. Noric

Noric Avatar

By training swift to 100, then mining to 50, then swift to 115, mining to 78 (increased a % before the xp drain of 80+) and then unlocking metic.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, so y0u're fast and have a high Meticulous Collection rate, but the nodes are also looking very heavily at your basic Mining Proficiency (which is 78).
    Good grief.

15. Noric

Noric Avatar

Everything I've looked at indicated that Mining Proficiency is entirely outclassed by producer level in terms of impact on mining. I trained to GM mining prof last wipe - from about where I am now I think i gained a total of 3% success rate. I currently have 68% chance on a tier 5 mining node(78 prof and 72 producer level) . The xp cost from 0 - 50 is minimal, and considering it slightly increased my producer xp generation rate i thought it was worthwhile. Again once i had completed my swift goal I trained it to a decent spot for similar reasons. I'll eventually train my mining to GM, but the producer xp costs after my 4x bonus are gone are significant and i have other skills that i am working on.

I'm not sure where your "Good Grief." is coming from I'm afraid.

agra likes this.
  16. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Sorry, but it also falls under the "common sense" category that when you spend more time doing something with a lower percent chance to succeed, the reward should be markedly higher. As I have expressed earlier, met collection doesn't address the problem I mentioned.

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

My mining skills are fairly high also (100 Prof, 109 Swift, 27 Metic) and I've yet to see any meticulous collections that yielded more than one rare (tin/nickel/zinc/tungsten).

I done almost all of my mining in Etceter.

If Rasmenar has gotten multiple rares several times, then he's either very lucky or bugged or the rest of us are bugged. :(

If gathering works as I think it should, then any meticulous collection should basically just not consume the node, and then you should get another attempt as if you haven't mined that node yet.

Now, the question is: Is the loot table truly random and dependent upon the nodes tier (lowest base mining chance = more/better chances at rares)... or, does the loot table consider your mining proficiency and/or your meticulous collection levels to determine what you get out of the node?

18. agra

agra Avatar

Just for comparison, these are my numbers R26 mining numbers so far: (tin to copper)
    2/27 (7.4%)
    11/54 (20.4%)
    4/13 (30.8%)
    and
    yours: 16/80 (20%)
    So just a few more data points for reference, but I wouldn't be surprised if 20% is the set point for that ratio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.