Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Higher quality instrument sounds?

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Evenios, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evenios

Evenios Avatar

I like the abc file reading idea with the instruments. i know some other games are using this like starbound and others (lord of the rings online i think?) but the sound quality sounds way too default midiish and i do know as having some background in music production as a hobby there are many virtual instruments out there that can sound pretty good. and be of small "size" you dont need gigabytes of data ......however

for example the piano just could sound a bit better in my opinion. is there anyway possible that some "love" can be given to instruments to sound a tad better as i think that can be a very creative aspect. as while a lot of players are using abc files from popular songs etc. some people who have background in music in rl could make custom files to play in the game......me for example i cant write music or play instruments in rl. but i can arrange midi loops and have a program called band in a box that can generate even entire melodies and such in midi format (which can be then easily transposed to abc format)

so the possibilities of that in the game could be quite nice .........more so since many instruments are included in parts of pledge packs for Shroud of the Avatar. obviously showing that they are important to us and to the developers.

I dont know the limitations of that. or of Unity, but abc files are more or less just transcribed midi files in a different format ......and like with music software . you can take any midi file and use a virtual instrument to increase the sound quality to make it sound better ........surely there may be a way to do the same in shroud of the avatar, while keeping memory and performance balanced too.

just a thought. :) im not talking about adding 30 gigabytes of Piano samples lol but.....maybe some attention could be given to that in the future yes?

ALSO:

adding some UI window to select the songs you have in your folder aka starbound would be very helpful without having to use chat commands if possible!

Maeryck, Leynael, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Periwinkle Elodie

Periwinkle Elodie Avatar

Imo, the music system is still lacking much. Sound quality is horrible last time I tested and I've no intention on testing again until the next polish for the player music system is done. I also noticed that fast notes play horribly as well. I have a solo for a stringed instrument of the song Pipeline and it sounds completely broken in game but plays wonderfully in Lord of the Rings Online. This effects so many songs that it makes it not worth the effort to try and play or create files for the game since it is still so limiting. Hopefully, another polish will come soon but I fear that the Devs have their hands so full right now that we've been all but forgotten. The player music system is the whole reason I backed the game. There is no other reason for me to play other than music system/role play since the game just doesn't appeal to me otherwise. I will be keeping my fingers crossed but until more is done for the music system, I will remain in Lotro where I can really stand out musically.

Oh, and Chris (Tech Lord)...I'm still waiting for those slider adjustments so I can be halfling sized in game...Don't oppress the little folk!!!!

Beli, Leynael, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Leynael

Leynael Avatar

Exactly the same here !
    And I know a lot more people, who came to Sota because they wanted to play around with the music system

Beli and Periwinkle Elodie like this.
  4. Tamsen

Tamsen Avatar

If the devs need a show of hands to see how many of us feel precisely the same way, let me rush in and add mine. The music system, while it won't entirely make or break a game for me, will certainly make or break a role playing game for me. Ever since I tried LOTRO, I have been longing for that music system in another game. SotA could end up being the game I want with the music system I want. Fingers crossed.

There's no better way to pull me entirely in over my head into an engrossing RP environment than to let us play good sounding ensemble music, and dance to it.

Periwinkle Elodie likes this.
  5. Periwinkle Elodie

Periwinkle Elodie Avatar

Honestly I would like to know if/when the music system is going to get some love. My little pledge was 100% to be a part of the music system testing and with no changes for several months, I feel that those of us who are here to support it are being forgotten. Would love to know if I am wasting my time or will there be something for us to test soon.

4EverLost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.