Highly flawed targeting

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Keyman, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Probably because there's actually no such thing as a hard lock. Anyway, there's no difference between double clicking a target and selecting it with the tab key.

Keyman likes this.
  2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

If you launch an attack, such as fire arrow - without your selected target in range, OR if your camera is not facing the target - the game will still shoot the arrow, but it will hit something (closest target?) that your camera is facing..
    .. I think this is the behavior being seen here?

Meaning .. if you are attacking a single target, facing it, and then turn your camera (not character) away from the target, to say, look behind you -- your character will stop attacking.. I bugged that a while back

Perhaps in this case, if you were to fire the arrow - whatever your CAMERA (not character) is facing, will receive the attack?

PS - there was also a change a few released back to make killing the Oracle's pets affect your virtue - at the same time, a change was made to prevent people from accidentally just cycling through neutral targets (oracle's pet watchers, etc) using <tab> - those targets need to be double clicked manually using the mouse.

Keyman likes this.
  3. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

Aaaaand this is precisely why they should stop making third person view altogether in MMOs. Just one more reason that it fails ..!

4. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

But that's what's happening Echondas. I'm "hard" targeting a dangerous creature, and it has agroed on me, but then my toon spins (on its own) and fires at a rabbit, or a wisp, etc. This is the bad behavior I'm referring to. Lot's of people giving very good explanations on the targeting system, but no one can answer as to why it should do this, what purpose it would serve, or why it is good. IOW, everyone seems to ignore the scenario I've laid out - which is very specific to my "complaint" And I'm not the only one experiencing this. My friends, who only chose to play for a few weeks, all mentioned this same problem, which is why they went back to playing what they were playing instead of SotA... They're opinion, universally, was that the devs are just doing that for fun. I doubt it, but it may be a quirk in the complex nature of the targeting system that isn't being addressed. Thanks for all the responses folks.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  5. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Weird! Definitely do a /bug report for it, and include the info that gets put into your copy/paste buffer. For weird ones like this, I usually try and get a video too (using nvidia geforce experience or windows 10 (win+g)) and will share it using Google Drive.

Jaesun and Keyman like this.
  6. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Please just post a video of this, honestly I also thought the targetting was messed up until I learned the center of camera priority. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would go a long way to focus and move the conversation forward.

Jaesun and Keyman like this.
  7. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

I won't pretend to not know what he's talking about. I started as a fire mage and struggled with this too, #1 fire arrow in particular has the greatest range and thus is the greatest offender, Also the last spell you should cast over and over, Use that to pull and keep the fire arrow dot up, but instead of another fire arrow, start casting that fireball at your feet (if you can) then spam flame fist to the face. Takes getting used to for sure, my experience was the same with targeting but I just got used to it. Like gold and silver scraps on the crafting menu.

Keyman likes this.
  8. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

I think you mentioned previously that you do this by dbl clicking on the target?

Please try it by using tab target to select target and see if it does the same?

I'm thinking perhaps there is a bug/difference between the choice of selection method?

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

one forgets how bad SOTA's targeting is after a distance of time. I actually had thought it was fine for my play. But then I installed WoW for the first time in 11 years and fired up my old "dot" based Warlock which requires heavy duty tab targeting. When I am attacked by 10 mobs at one, I can just tab target systematically through them all and just cycle and cycle in the same order with no issue. A new mob agros, it easily integrates. Then you realize how much of a pain SOTA can be.

But.. even Wow has issues, all a sudden it tabs over to a target now even out of my agro group and draws in a buncha new mobs.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  10. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

very similar in shroud, with quirk's i'll agree, but I use tab target all the time and don't have many issues

11. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

Hey Keyman, curiously...you have not disabled auto attack have you? Meaning you set your white hits to manual attack only - known as Free Attack?
    It seems to me that with auto attack disable, 'hard' targetting from 'tab' cycling, does not initiate white attack hits. Therefore you're not actually targetting that mob fully and thus you experience the 'soft' target behavior that others have described here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  12. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

I'll try

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.