Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Hitching keeps getting worse for me

Discussion in 'Release 57 Feedback' started by Sorthious, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I haven't played much in the last couple release because the hitching is so bad. I played some last night and it's still just as bad.

Sorthious and Mishikal like this.
  2. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I run SotA on two different computer my Gaming laptop has little to no hitching ever but my gaming desk top has significant hitching issues. Spec wise the main difference between the two computers is the video card. I have a high end Nvida on my laptop and a high end AMD on my desktop. I will more than likely be dropping a Nvidia card in my desktop to see if there is a difference.

Sorthious likes this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Many of the people having hitching issues run high end nVidia's. So I don't think that's the issue.

4. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Hmmm then maybe I will hold off on getting a 1080 for my desktop that is what I run on my laptop so I was wishing that would do it.

Sorthious and Jaesun like this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I have a 980, my wife has a 1080. We both hitch like crazy. Got my first R57 run in tonight, and it was bad.

6. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

It's very odd as I have a high end Nvidia and Windows 10 and have been fortunate enough not to suffer any hitching at all for quite a few releases now. Most odd as there doesn't seem to be a common dominator for those suffering from it.

Sorthious likes this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Could you post your game rig specs please?
    I am wondering if there is some similarity on hardware with users that also have no hitching problems against the ones that do have problems.

Sorthious likes this.
  8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I got a GTX 1080 on my desktop and I have loads of hitching. It wont fix hitching, it will improve frame rate's though. Constant 60+fps.

Jaesun and Sorthious like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The first thing to do when you have hitching is to simply fully quit out of the game and restart it. Whatever causes hitching seems to be mostly due to some sort of accumulated crud in the system. That has almost always worked for me. It's also a really good idea to do that before going into Lost Vale.

Some people say you should reboot the computer as well, but I barely ever reboot (the last time I did was when obs wasn't working right), and just restarting the game works well enough for me.

Anyhow, yesterday evening the hitching wasn't nearly as bad. I had some 1-2 second hitches happen, sometimes two in a row, but otherwise it was nothing like last month. And for those of you who think it has to do with how good your video card is, mine is a GT 1030, plugged into a 6-year old i5-2400.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Restarting the game does nothing for me. It immediately starts hitching with 7-8gigs of free system memory, 6+ gigs free video memory, 60-70% usage on CPU, and more than acceptable internet connection.

Feeyo, Alley Oop and Mishikal like this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Same here, hitching in R57 is worse for me, and almost immediate. I'm curious -- Anyone who is having the hitching using an AMD CPU? My CPU's intel, and I see a lot of those in this thread.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

@Sentinel2 , was using an AMD CPU, per his post in this thread.

Feeyo and Mishikal like this.
  13. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

If it had something to do with the server population (or offloading to clients with a bad internet connection), everyone can simply try to play offline for a good while. If hitching does not occur in offline mode it is not your rig.
    Have the same hitching problems like you, that also means not more then you, with a E6600@2.4 Ghz, a ATI Radeon HD 5870 (1Gbyte mem), Linux and OOS drivers. So i guess upgrading your GPU will not change much.

What also might be helpfull, when the Dev. say something to it. Give some advice what can be tested.

Sorthious likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They haven't responded to complaints about hitching for the last 4 releases (since it started).

15. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Also AMD CPU's are having the hitching, I know @Barugon has a AMD CPU.

Sorthious, Barugon and Mishikal like this.
  16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

The players who have hitching also tried playing offline and had also hitching, I havent tried this on R57. But then again even on offline play your client has connectivity to the SotA server. (For some reason)

To be honest, I am pretty sure it is not our rig. At least for the most of us.
    And the devs could not reproduce the hitching, what I think it is pretty weird? Or it has to do that they have a closer connection to the main server..

Sorthious and Mishikal like this.
  17. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

The Dev. have always have the option to ask someone using a normal account to play the game and report back. There are also people at Travian that can do the same in Europe.
    Trusting the big data will not help here, as the bear example has shown.

The connection should only etablished on login to check that the account is allowed to use offline mode. You should be able to cut the connection after login, or block the client from internet access.

We have no trace and no glue. The machines all differently. And it is worth nothing to be silent. Yea, when the ones that have hitching props leave then the problem is also solved.
    But i am happy we have the distracting health bar now, that helps a lot.

18. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Setup 1:
    win 7
    GTX 980 Ti (6gb)
    i7 3930k (4.2 Ghz)
    32 gb ram
    sota installed on ssd

Setup 2:
    win 10
    GTX 1070 (8gb)
    i7-7700HQ (3.8 Ghz)
    16 gb ram
    sota installed on ssd

Ofc. it runs better on setup 2 but i still have hitching AND fps drops all over the place on both setups, the zone doesn't matter.

It was a lot better like 6 or 7 month ago, again on both machines.
    Something got worse over that timeframe.

19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes can confirm, it started when they added DECO to the looting tables! :)
    Makes you wonder... hmmmmm?

GrayFog likes this.
  20. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have to say that performance for me was a lot better before they reduced the draw distance of graphics. Yes, I had a lower frame-rate, but things ran smoother and there was less hitching then. Now, things don't load up until I'm nearly on top of them and on top of them in some cases. Just wondering if this is contributing to the hitching when all of these items have to load all at once, rather than loading more gradually as I approach.

GrayFog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.