Hometown Question/Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WindSilvermoon, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindSilvermoon

WindSilvermoon Avatar

When release comes out is hometown still going to be there? How is that going to work? Giving players gold and items to make things would be very very unbalancing and unfair. This gives lots of xp and free stuff. I love hometown but perhaps there is away to make this static before hand. If there is something already in the works that is great honest it is, I love hometown I love everyone working on it, I'm just trying to see how things are going on after the first wipe?

Like I said if this has already been thought through great and sorry I missed it.
    @dallas
    Thank You
    Wind Silvermoon

Cianna, Katrina Bekers, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  2. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Hometown is a great thing and the ability to view all the houses, all the biomes, everything is helpful when we are wanting to see before we buy. I have had the honour to work on this project on a constant basis. Along with several others who have put in many hours of virtual blood, sweat and tears. However, I do have to say that I have, in fact, also said "I can not, by my virtue, accept being given anything that would give me an unfair advantage over others after final wipe" .

Even the resources we are handed for crafting with, gives us an "advantage" early on. Just with the work done with Hometown, I have nearly GM'd 5 refining/crafting skills in the past.

This may not have seemed like a big deal in the past as our skills were being wiped. However, after final wipe, these skills give us quite a lead to other crafters who do not assist in the Hometown project.

My Two cents on how to fix it now before it gets to that point: Take a footprint, a save file of it as it is after we have finished it before wipe. Then, after wipe, put that back. Is that possible? It will then already be decorated, will not have to be redone, and will prevent the "unfair advantage" that will otherwise come out of this.

@Berek @dallas @DarkStarr

P.S: I am proudly one of the foreman of the project, helping when I can in any way I can. I would be one who would and as mentioned have gained from this in the past. I do not believe we can continue this way after final wipe. I believe something is set up, although not firmly implemented as of yet, to be sure this does not continue. Yet would also like to know officially. On behalf of those who do not.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The amount of effort putting on Hometown is not trivial. It takes a lot of time and energy to get things organized and bring each home into the presentable state.

However, if the concern over Hometown volunteer is having edge due to unlimited resource, then we could just turn it into the situation where volunteers have to pitch in their own resources and take donation from other players. A lot of decoration items are already from other people donation anyway.

Since the houses are all owned by Jack Knife, the staffs can own the house next time instead. It will be much slower, but at least it would be fair to those who don't want to help out, but don't want to see those who help gain any advantages (this is why we can't have nice things).

I think that should cover any "unfair" advantages.

Leelu likes this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Hometown could now be a nested town within Brittany. No need for it to take up an overland map location IMHO.

Scraps MacMutt and Leelu like this.
  5. Amber Raine

Having an overland map location is not an issue, where it is located is a great starting point for players coming in to the game. Easy to find, easy to view. It is the actual building up and decorating of the town its self that will cause some serious issue if we are not set on how these things will be handled in the future.

kristof likes this.
  6. WindSilvermoon

WindSilvermoon Avatar

Seriously whey we can't have nice things? I have helped in Hometown when it first started, then I got sick, however I know that plenty of the managers that would Welcome me back with open arms now that I'm feeling better so yea this has to do with me too. I know what we get, and I know players that have already used items, gold, etc for personal gain. I did not most of the house I decorated I decorated with my own stuff, but lets just stop and think of release when these items don't go away, when money is actually hard to get and you have to work for it, are you going to decorate with your own stuff for real? I see things changing a lot when stuff isn't going to come back to people, and I feel it would benefit Port to look at it now before it is an issue then afterwards, I mean 1 million gold to a player is that all really only going into hometown, who keeps track of every single gold piece? Just kind of a food for thought I do love hometown I'm just pointing out that it's a system set up for major abuse. Sorry if that hurts peoples feelings, I have been told over and over again by players not to ask this question which means that everyone's thought about knows the abuse, knows what they use gold for and are hoping to pull one over on the devs and the community... I think that is worst.. just my 2 cents.

margaritte likes this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

It should be removed from the game completely at the final wipe.

8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

There is nothing gained for free in hometown, not item wise anyhow, as decorators use the items to decorate the homes and create kits which help further decoration. We track specific numbers of specific things with a small overage for the sake of crafting the items and having a bit extra for decoration. We will be storing the items and locking away permissions until the next iteration of items or houses that come out where displaying them is needed.

Dallas has discussed the ideas they have for furthering hometown post release a little bit with some of the hometown coordinators, likely doing things such as creating dead zones like hometown where skill can not be gained. Probably also locking down the items after decoration or pre creating kits for them. They do want it to continue to be a community led initiative though as far as I have been told.

The amount of effort that goes into hometown is not small by the way. It's a little hurtful to think its painted as something that is giving some kind of undue advantage or free stuff when we have people from over half of the major guilds in the community contributing to craft, steal, decorate, manage the logistics etc.

We have had processes that had continued to improve since the very first hometown initaitive. And from the very first initiative it was said quite clearly not to use your own things that we would be provided with them and all we needed was time. That was requested since day one. Every decorator is given a gold budget for decoration if they require it - especially on the biggest houses - and the items not used from the kits go back into a seperate lot that are pooled deco for the next houses. What is not used is stored away for the next houses that need to be decorated or the other community initiatives that portalarium wished to utilize hometown for.

9. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Yes, the idea would be someone like Berek would do it - but there was not a fulltime person that could dedicate to something like that at that point so a community member did it because the developers almost had the houses all fall after they were decorated once during the first pass, because they didnt log in often enough.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Let's make this short: for building hometown the peeps that help with it deserve every advantage they get by helping.

kristof, HogwinHD, Mal Hari and 4 others like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Make it even shorter.......for players to take a view they "deserve" an advantage is even more reason why it needs to be removed.

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I hope they can copy Hometown on release 31 and paste it on release 32, locking everything in place.

Any eventual problem would be solved.

I GM'ed milling and got 95+ in textiles in the original Hometown. Helping should be its own reward.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Who of the peeps that helped with it day they deserve it?
    They are against it.
    I, as a 'consumer' of hometown say they deserve it.
    Like it or not, i can't be bothred by it.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Doesn't really make sense but anyway......explain the purpose of hometown post wipe please.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Same purpose it has now.
    With new buildings added every release the purpose doesn't just vanish.

kristof and Womby like this.
  16. Amber Raine

Hometown post wipe is a fantastic idea for the reason I posted above. For those that are in the market to buy a house later on in game. They can go to hometown, view the layout and floor plan of a house before they buy. Make sure that is exactly what they want.

For others it is a great idea to gain inspiration for how to decorate their homes.

kristof, losludvig and Alley Oop like this.
  17. WindSilvermoon

WindSilvermoon Avatar

Kaz, I know how much work you put into Hometown and everyone else. I also know I haven't been around, so you can slam me on that that's fine, I been sick, However I thought this was about players and perception. IF nothing is being gained, than what does it hurt to make it static, put your name on it like a list of blocks that gives everyone credit. This makes sure it doesn't hurt things come release, my understanding was that it was never meant to make it to release I was told today it was so I asked a question. If no one is gaining anything what's the big deal? The big deal is people are gaining stuff.. period. Stop the favoritism, stop the elitist bs, stop all of it because it's like highschool and people are taking there balls and going home which means all the work is pointless if no one sticks around to play the game. I love and I appreciate everything you and everyone like you do, however at some point someone has to call a spade a spade, and be honest at the harm that even the perception of favoritism causes.

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

There is absolutely no reason or purpose for it to be there. It had its use and still has its use up until the final wipe.........it is nothing more than a test scene to showcase housing for people purchasing pledges.

I would say that post wipe there will enough player housing and PoT scenes to showcase everything.

Lord Dreamo likes this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Let's agree to disagree.
    Who ever cries the most will get his will in the end anyway.

kristof likes this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

In that case I expect it will end up staying.

However if it does and Port don't do it themselves and continue to let players do it; then players who are involved will be called out relentlessly. Once again there is absolutely no need for it to be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.