Horrible forced localization

Discussion in 'Localization' started by MaverickJesterX, Aug 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaverickJesterX

MaverickJesterX Avatar

Today I was planning on returning to the Avatar. I logged in and downloaded the client. I live in a German speaking country but play the game in English. My PC language is English but the installer forces German. The only thing on my PC that would identify me as a German speaker is the PC region. My Windows install is also English and all my apps are English. What should I do not, VPN into the USA and download the client? I think not. There are certain developers that seem to want to force a local language on people. This is total garbage, it can be a move, TV show or game. Many non native English speakers, enjoy playing and watching games and shows in the OV!

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@MaverickJesterX, it's trying to be helpful, but not force you. you can change it. pick a new one and restart the client.

[​IMG]

Paladin Michael and John Markus like this.
  3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Greetings Maverick,

I am also in a German speaking country, and I play the game in english since it started.

I know the problem, you are talking about. It's sometimes frustrating. If I use an english client and he asks, if I want to download German language package.
    But I think, this isn't meant to displease us. It's the technical diagnosis. And for most people it's the right thing ;)

For SotA as you can see above - it isn't that hard to change your language.
    Godd time!

4. Angelheart

Angelheart Avatar

Btw. the german localization is so terrible, that I already switched to English. Before, the language in conversations etc. switched at will between German and English… Not very welcoming for new players that don‘t speak English and definetely not what you expect from a year-old game, that offers localizations…

5. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Text, which appears in english, even you chose "German" as language, was never translated.
    There is currently no person who translates anything into another language...

6. Angelheart

Angelheart Avatar

And, to be honest, there won‘t be one in future….

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Localization was a community effort, so unless people start caring enough to do it for the betterment of the game, it simply won't improve.

Caree Death likes this.
  8. Silently

Silently Avatar

Bad Joke?

You can`t count how often german players offer to translate...but after month and month and years without a answer and finaly killing the Localization Team most ppl have left the game.

..so please don`t talk such a **** like "unless people start caring enough to do"

Dankeschön :thumbs up:

Duke Olahorand and Barugon like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sorry, I didn't know that the SotA team had locked you out.

10. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

The mix of English and German comes from two issues:
    1. never translated text (usually added after the localization project got cancelled)
    2. text, which had been translated and the original did change even if only sligthly (like adding a comma) - in this case the translated text was nullified and returned to English.

And yes - the German language community translators have been locked out of the project after Trajan "completed" the translation for episode 1. Not even a chance to correct typos or mistranslations if you see them ingame.
    (I can tell you, I offered.)

*Salute*
    Duke Olahorand
    Former "leader" of German community localization team

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    Silently and Paladin Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.