Horse models

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Bigfangs, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigfangs

Bigfangs Avatar

Hello all, and thanks for the opportunity to be apart of something big!
    I really enjoyed playing in the first alpha thus far. I explored every area. I thought the stag's looked terrific. However, the white horse concerned me.

Are the horse models still being worked on I assume? The legs and everything seemed way off and didn't even bend with natural movement. I am just really looking forward to riding around on a gallant steed!

I'm an original UO player. I played on the Sonoma and Great Lakes Shards. I was 14 years old at that time, ha! I enjoyed having my Nightmare and showing it off.

Some of the best "horse" models i've seen are in an online Korean game called Alicia Online. Here is a sample of one of my horses from the game... black just like a nightmare.
    [​IMG]
    And here is a short video of the horses " movements"

2. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

There are no horses planned for in game riding at this time.

Time Lord and Alexander like this.
  3. Lord Melvek

Lord Melvek Avatar

Your style of horse is great but I didn't heard about any kind of mounts for the game.
    There is a thread going on about riding mounts early on

Time Lord and Alexander like this.
  4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Hopefully there will be mounts in this game. If not...well it's not sandbox.

5. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Actually I read somewhere there wont be in episode 1 but there will be in the other episodes. Now, will mounted combat make it in game? Well most probably not (unfortunatelly).

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Back when kickstarter was going on we discussed Horses (mounts in general). Episode 1 was not going to have mounts, just not enough time to make the riding system function perfectly. Mounts will be introduced at some time (maybe as early as Episode 2) . We also discussed mounted events like jousting. There were no promises made, but the idea did make it to the big white board of future possibilities.

Seon likes this.
  7. rendix

rendix Avatar

That's a fairly blanket statement. I can think of numerous sandbox games that don't have mounts.

This game will most likely have mounts, just not for episode 1.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Mainly my point being that sandbox encompasses a wide variety of options. Mounts are fairly basic so adding them should just be a matter of time.

fumblefingers and Time Lord like this.
  9. rendix

rendix Avatar

Mounts in SotA will likely be different than most games if they follow even remotely close to UO's footsteps.

Keep in mind, in most MMO's these days, a mount is travel only, the moment you attack or are attacked, you are dismounted and no longer in this "travel mode".

In UO (no tomatoes please!), mounts extended your character movement in all facets of the game -- PvP being a huge one.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

If I can ride a llama into battle, I will consider my life complete. :)

shadofire, Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  11. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Tomato mounts! I'd buy that.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I do really love that horse racing game! But to be absolutely honest, those "My Little Pony"type mounts, and their special abilities, just wouldn't be a good fit for what I see as a more mature game like SotA. I would prefer a to ride a large snorting and clumsy draft-horse. A real man's horse that a lessor man could hardly swing his leg over; a steed that could easily hold my colossal, retired knight's 300 pounds. A steed that could drag me home after being tossed out of The Fire Lotus Tavern at 4am.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Bigfangs

Bigfangs Avatar

I agree the horses I showed are a bit too skinny. In war times there were all different kinds of horses though, all shapes and sizes whatever they could get their hands on. For more heavier people of course there were Draft horse breeds.

The Lippizon horse is truly amazing. The way they can jump, rear and all kinds of stuff. They do these things because they were trained for battle. The rears, kicks, leaps were all combat moves.

[​IMG]

The Destrier was an ancient horse breed in the medieval times. The Percheron breed is thought to come from the Destriers. There are also some other types such as the Andolusian which is a draft/ regular horse cross almost.

Remember though, some of the earliest written history we have of breeding comes from the Arabian horse bloodline, which is still around today. The Arabians are smaller, but they have the heart of the energizer bunny. They are great desert horses. They are also responsible for the creation of the Thoroughbred race horse today :)

I highly recommend reading a book called The Godolphin Arabian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godolphin_Arabian

Lippizon horse
    [​IMG]

Percheron

[​IMG]

One of my favorites, the Friesian horse This is the same horse in Zorro

[​IMG]

Smaller Draft breed the Gypsy These were in the Lord of the rings movie

[​IMG]

My favorite draft horse, the American Cream!

[​IMG]

Finally one more unique breed the Sugarbrush draft horse, he has spots!

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  14. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I really hope we get to see not only mounts, but mounted combat in SotA.

15. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Bigfangs - Welcome to the community! :)

Horses! Please! Yesterday! Episode 2, I hope. It is one of the missing things that I admit I do not understand, because I personally would make every effort to get them in, and it was just a 'given' way back in UO. I know the graphics [and therefore complication in technology] have come a long way, but if WOW and others can do it -- [and again, UO had them way back when the internet dinosaurs roamed the earth] -- why can't New Britannia, and Richard Garriot's Team?! *screams into pillow* *ahem*

Montaigne, Bigfangs and Time Lord like this.
  16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

WoW didn't have them at launch, and WoW has had 10 years to add new features.

Bigfangs likes this.
  17. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Oh! I stand corrected. Thanks. :)

18. Zhak

Zhak Avatar

WoW did have mounts at launch, they were added in pre-release patch 0.7.
    Anyway, we're not talking WoW are we? And the engine of this game is radically more advanced already than WoW's, so it's a different beast altogether to add them.
    Either way, I personally don't care too much for mounts. If they were added, I think it'd be nice if they had some persistence in the game. So no pulling horses from a backpack, and having to feed them regularly. When you dismount, have it stay on the spot, or walk around a bit nearby. Doesn't even have to be visible to all other players (to reduce screenclutter of 500 horses parked in a small area), just some persistence.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.