Hospitallers / SotAHelp.org -- Players Helping Players

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Elgarion, Apr 10, 2016.

  1. Winfield

    Winfield Legend of the Hearth

    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    6,107
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Most discussions and interaction in the new player project have been about how we players can help other players, particularly the new players. The main Dev thing that got implemented was they made the Hospitaller and Outlander titles to show who are helping others and who desires help, respectively. They also made Hospitaller craftable signs to show where people may receive help from other players. Many people also tested the first time user experience and offered comments about difficulties, pop-ups, getting lost, etc. Then the dev team considered that feedback too.

    Like today's voice meeting, we mainly talk about how we players can help others, hold events, create help videos, etc. The new player project is less focused on development changes and more on how we can help new players, particularly meeting them in game within the first few hours of game play. The main capability Hospitallers use to help others in in-game chat. Many hospitallers hang out in the "starter" towns to welcome new players and see if they have questions to play the game. SotAHelp.org is a web site made by players for players who need help or are helping others.

    Overall, the goal is to help new players enjoy SotA and stay in SotA. There are many people helping in many directions (in game face-to-face, videos, events, tutorials, wiki updates, player lots with libraries, in game classes, etc.).

    We meet in voice again next Sunday at 11 AM CDT to mainly discuss the End of World events and what we can do to help new players when R32 starts. So that's a great time to ask more questions about what's happened in the past too and get answers.

    I hope this helps a bit. Thanks!
     
  2. Merrik

    Merrik Avatar

    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    197
    Trophy Points:
    30
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Elysium
    Though my knowledge is limited, I help where I can, and where I cant, I try to find the person or place that will.
    I am looking forward to helping and learning from everyone I meet :D
     
  3. Winfield

    Winfield Legend of the Hearth

    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    6,107
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    San Antonio, Texas
    REMINDER:

    Weekly Hospitaller Voice Meeting (1 hour)

    Sunday 11AM Central Time (US)


    Voice Server: Pax et Veritas (PaxLair) TeamSpeak3
    IP: 43.245.163.15:10099

    ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!

    Standard agenda:

    We go through Areas of Interests:
    • Hospitallers (face to face support)
    • In-game Resources
    • Out-of-game Resources
    • New Tech Ideas

    We cover for each Area:
    • What's been happening?
    • What's going to happen?
    • Are there any roadblocks?
     
  4. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    Hospitaller Meeting Minutes on PaxLair TS3 Server 43.245.163.15:10099 (ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!)
    31 July 2016, Sunday 11 Central Time

    Main Topics:

    • Outlander Hospitaller Experience:
      • Some folks aren't aware of the purpose of the Hospitallers
      • Huge up-tick in use of Discord Activity as a forum for New Player Help! Discord for the win!
      • A very desired program, even old school community members who've been MIA for quite some time are benefiting from the program due to changes to game, so expect a lot of old pledgers returning requiring a lot of help learning the game
      • Many success stories for new player support
      • Be sure to remind folks having bank access problems due to add-on items exceeding their limit, that 100 slots are only $5 now
      • Novian Academy lot in Britanny is the same as before, already been claimed and reserved by Stryker Sparhawk
      • Get in your In-Game Support Locations designed and submitted to Elgarion or submit them at SotAHelp.org (In-Game Support Locations, Recommend Location)
      • Worries over Outlanders being RUSHED by Hospitallers could spoil their new player experience.
      • Worries that people are simply guild recruiting using their Hospitaller tag.
    • SotAHelp.org Usage:
      • Question about in-game command for SotAHelp, Elgarion stated its in the works, but is unapproved but remains a possibility.
      • Elgarion stated activity has increased on the site, lots of the usual suspects BUT more often. 8 new accounts since the Telethon. Goal is at least 1 person available at all times every day every hour.
    • Feedback on Hospitaller Hour during Telethon
      • More structured discussion might be helpful
      • Be mindful of folks not in stream, work to get all in as a group attendee effort
      • The many chat systems used made it difficult to communicate to other attendees since we were all spread out
      • The End of the World Party events should have been woven into the Telethon as background occurrences as the Telethon occurred, not just during Hospitaller Hour which opens up the concept/importance of a secondary stream like Violations Desron Twitch stream. One in-game, one out of game, working side-by-side.
      • Violation Clauth might have enhanced in-game streaming capability for the next Telethon
      • Pax Lair might be a good location for the in-game Hospitaller Hour for the next telethon. The Novian Academy might be ready in 4 weeks also, since its already placed in Britanny.
      • Violation stated the stream shouldn't show the loading screens, since its bad content. The in-game streams should be fully filled with content and plan on not actual streams during zones. Switching between streams will be seamless to hide these load screen and similar downtimes. Using reporter views would be beneficial.
        • List out the content providers for the stream, and list out the streamers for future telethons/hangouts requiring in-game streams.
      • Keep Twitter active during the Telethon to broadcast the changing of events
      • Violation mentioned a bulletin board on the stream which broadcasted things like the current on-sale item etc.
    • For fun... WHAT NOT TO DO AS A HOSPITALLER:

    Round the Room:
    • Acaelus Fireharp
      • Felt the meeting went well and foot-stomped that we need a presence in Soltown without being overbearing.
    • Amber Raine
      • Felt the meeting went well :)
    • Cambria
      • Enjoyed the meeting, likes the idea of a Hospitaller House in Soltown. Liked the livestream ideas Violation had.
    • Elgarion
      • Contact him about the SotAHelp.org site for ideas/complaints/issues.
    • EMPsrike
      • Opinionless :p
    • Eternal Knight
      • Muted, listening in
    • Galiwyn
      • Concerned about abuse of Hospitaller tag.
    • Grimace
      • Wants to the TS3 chat to be more paid attention to during the meetings.
    • Gurney
      • Was in combat :p
    • Justyn04
      • Noticed so much activity it is already more since final wipe since the total helping experience combined from before
    • Lady Kate (@Acred )
      • Cannot attend next week
    • Lazarus Long
      • Good meeting, lots of new activity and old friends, players and help requests, he's located in Owl's Head with Jack
    • Luca Xante
      • Looking forward to what moo has to say
    • Luka Melehan
      • Sad to hear the Hospitaller tags are being abused, but generally glad at progress of program.
    • Merrik Dragon
      • Listened in
    • Minerva
      • Mentioned we need to send Hospitaller support also to Resolute and other newbie towns
    • Guest New Player: moo
      • Speaking to actual new player experience she just encountered as a new player
        • noticed that final wipe was upon her due to a facebook post
        • brand new to SotA as of Saturday of last week, but was uncertain of what type of house to get
        • decided to get a $45 account, came into the world to learn more.
        • she had her Outlander tag on as default, and felt the property she was seeing was official resources, but then felt barraged by TS3 join requests and felt folks were not being impartial in their attempts to help them and were basically recruiting for their guilds rather than simply wishing to help folks
        • suggests that when Hospitaller tag is active, the guild tag disappears to help encourage impartiality
        • she felt it was more like poaching people rather than helping people, when folks were engaged in guild recruitment whilst hospitalling
        • responses:
          • Violation inquired about her previous MMO experience
          • Kazyn mentioned that new players might require more education about the Hospitaller program, understands that folks are spamming recruitment whilst partaking in Hospitaller assistance, some more impartial than others. Stressed Royal Warrant holding guilds should be careful about their Warrant status whilst performing potentially unethical actions.
          • Amber mentioned Hospitallers should not be recruiting for guilds whilst partaking in Hospitaller actions
          • Luka Melehan stated that help materials ethically, such as books created to help new players, should not include specific guild information
          • Violation stated the Hospitaller program needs to be bigger than the Hospitaller's excitement for the game, but stressed that folks should not be pounced by Hospitallers.
          • Kazyn said it might be best to find out what they need before barraging folks with help. React to their needs, not what you think they need.
          • Winfield suggested that the Hospitaller tag activation should generate a pop-up window providing the ethics the player should adopt whilst Hospitalling.
          • Elgarion brought up if the guild tag hides when the Hospitaller tag is displayed, it might make Hospitallers seem even more official (which is bad if its being abused) because they might appear more like official GM's or Devs, and conversely if we show the guild tags, we can hold those guilds accountable and contact guild leaders when they have members abusing the Hospitaller tag.
          • Elgarion: perhaps lets also point new players ot the New Player Welcome forum to provide their new player experience to help benefit the game's design. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/new-player-welcome.611/
          • THANK YOU MOO FOR SHARING WITH OUR HOSPITALLER TEAM!
    • Stryker Sparhawk
      • Will have Novian Academy ready soon
    • Violation Clauth
      • Impressed by attendance, motivation and dedication of members, and expressed emphasis on the need to combat the frustrated players' concerns.
    • Womby
      • Happy with meeting, he's sleepy :p
    • Wrath Phoenix
      • Happy with meeting, and is astounded by the # of new people
    • Winfield
      • Thanks folks and apologized for needing to cut people off for the purposes of time constraints
     
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Acred, Time Lord and Winfield like this.
  5. donweel

    donweel Avatar

    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Hello I am a first responder pledge, 2013/03/08, near as I can figure I am a Royal, how do I figure out what group I am for the land claiming.
     
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Acred, Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

    Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

    Messages:
    5,875
    Likes Received:
    13,134
    Trophy Points:
    153
    Click on your Account page (can be found in the top right corner of the Shroud of the Avatar website). It will display under your name.
     
    Krohon, Acred, Elgarion and 2 others like this.
  7. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    Hospitaller Meeting Minutes on PaxLair TS3 Server 43.245.163.15:10099 (ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!)
    7 August 2016, Sunday 11 Central Time

    Main Topics:

    • New Player Experiences:
      • Kazyn had a successful experience and pointed a new player to http://sotawiki.net/sota/Community:Player_Help_Center while they were working the Player Help Center
      • Elgarion gave props to the huge success of Discord Chat, the official SotA Discord Channel--lots of new players asking questions and lots of Hospitallers on standby to answer them!
      • Elgarion mentioned that focusing on the positive aspects on the program is more key to productivity and mentioned that negative aspects of the program are good to mention to the devs, but once they know (to let them deal with it as they desire), move back to the positive concepts of new player support
      • Winfield notices Soltown is becoming populated with new player support locations
      • Kazyn/Stryker/Luka/Justyn will be starting prep for the Novian Academy soon
      • Grimace indicated that there are graphical issues which break the immersion of the new player experience and first impressions: Flashing sky's, headless tavern keepers, hopping up and down while sitting, graphic settings not set properly on clients computer which perhaps Hospitallers can help people also optimize their graphics settings to provide a more enhanced first person experience.
      • Lazarus brought up concerns over 75% of his new player experiences as a helper showed the player was concerned about the Lottery system where they feel they cannot get a lot. Kazyn brought up that his experience, though not as numerous on this topic, was getting feedback that the lottery system is getting well received.
      • Worried that the inexpensive new player support items being created and placed on vendors are being bought out and resold at higher prices.
    • Ideas for Community Hour/Hospitaller Hour for Upcoming Telethon
      • Look like it will be 2 separate hours
      • Showcasing completed new player support locations in-game
      • FAQ Game (Trivia questions/contest, the questions/answers are to be designed to enhance the knowledge of the viewers). Prize selections pending. Questions chosen might highlight the source of the question each time (i.e. this question was pulled from information at SotAWiki.net! This question was pulled from the knowledge at SotAHousing.com! This question was pulled from SotACraft.com! etc).
      • Quick 5 minute hot-tip demonstrations throughout the telethon. Ideas for hot-tip tutorials are:
        • Crafting
        • Graphics Settings
        • Targeting System
        • Deck Building
        • Combos
        • POT Decoration
        • Home Decoration
        • Permission Systems
        • Housing/Lot
      • How can the telethon capture the desirable concepts in the game conducive to RP? Perhaps or short segment which highlights the game's features which make it an RP paradise essentially.
      • How the players have pushed the envelope on using the game (Gustball, mazes for instance) which have led to amazing design ideas/improvements.
      • What else does the community do besides just playing the game, all event types for instance.
      • Grimace had an idea for a screenshot contest, sent them in during the Telethon, winners picked periodically.
    • Website/Out-of-Game Projects:
      • Contest for Community SotA Trailer, Hospitallers are excited at the concept, concern mentioned of short notice deadline (get moving on these videos!)
        • Berek mentioned that he'll work actively to retweet creations that help support the new player community
        • SotAHelp - increase in activity, FAQ answering for Hospitallers greatly simplified. Mobile version of SotAHelp will soon incorporate the ability to answer questions.
        • Quick Reference Guide has been updated, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78974184/SotA Ref Guide/SOTA Reference Card.png Elgarion's curious if there is a way to make this link persistent.
    Round the Room:
    • Winfield (hosted)
    • Berek thinks the initiatives going on are fantastic. Excited about upcoming telethon and community/hospitaller hours. Said to keep up the good work, and even stated the press has mentioned the Hospitaller program! Steam reviews are getting better, and some Steam review focus might be coming. Is open ears for ideas on what should be promoted about the game and the community to the community as a whole and even to the devs during his meetings. Stated the localization concept is not ignored, and it eventually will be addressed. The Marketplace forum was redone on Friday, and expects more changes coming--PM him ideas about the Marketplace and hopes its going in a better direction. Send him comments!
    • Deisos emphasized that any videos inserted into the telethon should not be too long, not to complicated/detailed. Generalized. Should be funny and entertaining. They should feature in-game concepts, but depicted with comedy to hold the viewers interest. Add in some wow factor to each one. Should be attractive for viewing.
    • Elgarion said if Deisos's idea about a bit of comedy/wow factor is included in the vids, it will increase the likelyhood they are shared on social.
    • Galiwyn thought it was a good meeting, and asked what he could do to help.
    • Grimace stated our player base is smart, but stressed the videos/help features we create do not talk down to them.
    • Gurney was a late arrival, stated what he saw was good as always.
    • Jack (SinAssist) had lots of whispers from the community! Activity is up.
    • Lazarus Long indicated its been a great week and has had LOTS of new interactions with new players. Brought up concerns about the availability of the download link for the game (seems more hidden).
    • Luka Melehan looking forward to completion of the Academy and start of the class schedule!
    • Stryker Sparhawk had concerns about the localization efforts, Berek said it is on the horizon, and will come.
    • WrathPhoenix thinks the video concept is very doable and is well within their capabilities.
     
  8. Winfield

    Winfield Legend of the Hearth

    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    6,107
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Here are special topics for the open Hospitaller Voice Meeting today, August 14, 2016, 11 AM CDT/1600 UTC! Anyone can attend!
    • We are going to talk a bit about the Telethon and how Hospitallers can support it particularly during the Community Hour #1 - Involvement.
    • We continue to talk about Players helping Players and making special emphasis to get more people wearing the Hospitaller tag to join us in these Voice weekly meetings.

    Weekly Hospitaller Voice Meeting (1 hour)Sunday 11AM Central Time (US) / 1600 UTC

    Voice Server: Pax et Veritas (PaxLair) TeamSpeak3
    IP: 43.245.163.15:10099
    ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND! Winfield or Elgarion leads the meeting.
    Standard agenda:

    We go through Areas of Interests:​
      • Hospitallers (face to face support)
      • In-game Resources
      • Out-of-game Resources
      • New Tech Ideas

    We cover for each Area:​
      • What's been happening?
      • What's going to happen?
      • Are there any roadblocks?
     
    Time Lord and Acred like this.
  9. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    My power is still out. If it comes back on I'll show late :)
     
    Time Lord and Acred like this.
  10. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    Hospitaller Meeting Minutes on PaxLair TS3 Server 43.245.163.15:10099 (ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!)
    14 August 2016, Sunday 11 Central Time

    MAIN TOPICS:

    • Recent Experiences with New Player Support:
      • Mikayl - Was watching a Markee Dragon Twitch stream and saw someone asking a question in the chat asking about skills. As a person helping others, Mikayl helped the person through chat and in-game whispers.
      • Kazyn - overwhelming with new players coming in. Players haveing trouble finding their place, what do to, where to go. Community groups are really helping.
      • Justyn - overwhelming too with new players arriving. Met lots of new people in last week; crazy. Big question asked, "how to get a house!" Announce broadly in town area if people want help, just speak up.
      • Lady Kate - overwhelming too! New people flooded with new information, so careful to not over-flood them. Ask how they are doing. Many people leveling up to get more crafting ability. So not just for new players, we can help veterans - talk to them, be friendly. Was accused for "lighting fires!!"
    • New players versus Veterans coming back into Persistence -- many interesting and useful encounters helping all people.
    • Avatars Radio seeks more Public Service Announcements to air from Hospitallers - Hospitallers can get with AR and WRFB for more PSAs.
    • Justyn doing commercials today, PSAs - so whisper Justyn to get with her once a week to work with her on some PSAs and voice commercials.
      • Where to store these? A library - soundcloud -Justyn/Amber Raine
    • Patch Notes: tell people to go to "/sotawiki patch notes"
    • Talk shows are great to help new players - AR, WRFB, etc.
    • Tech Ideas:
      • /sotamap paxlair -- an in-game command added
    • Telethon:
      • Amber mentioned the deep dives might be better to occur before too much drinking has happened :p
      • Winfield felt there could be some planted questions that provide insight/short tutorials about certain aspects of the game.
      • Amber brought up that there are volunteers ready to forward questions from the various chat channels we use (discord, twitch etc)
      • Roper brought up that he feels the questions being answered are more commonly answered if made by popular players.
      • Berek mentioned that the Hospitaller & Community hour will focus upon the various community projects and activities.
      • Lots of people claim vast # of people are unable to use Discord--this was reported by Minerva and Roper. Others claimed much less of a problem in their experience and interactions with others. There will be a side-bar discussion about Discord servers.
      • Looks like Violation's offering of helping with the streams of in-game content are bearing fruit and will very likely improve how the game is depicted during the telethon.
      • $10,0000,000 "What if" post is coming on the forums to discuss possibilities of what amazing events or rewards could occur related to this concept.
      • Community Hour 1:
        • Sidebar discussion to take place to nominate people or how to nominate people (anyone reading this can also nominate people here). Elgarion stated that the nomination process needs to be very transparent and open to all.
      • Community Hour 2:
        • Sidebar discussion to take place to nominate people or how to nominate people (anyone reading this can also nominate people here). Elgarion stated that the nomination process needs to be very transparent and open to all.

    ROUND THE ROOM:

    • Mikayl: meeting was productive, 1st time attending. Learned a lot about how engaged the community is.
    • Winfield:
    • Amber Raine: felt the meeting went well. Thinks folks should raise their hand before getting the floor in the meeting. Winfield said we'll start flashing our mic's so he knows folks are trying to chime in.
    • Berek:
    • Brightstar: "Always very informative and want to thank everyone for their contributions and involvement and vision ...YEAH!!"
    • Cambria: enjoyed the meeting and found it informative, requested a break out session.
    • Deisos: logged out before Round the Room
    • Elgarion: brought up the text to automated voice option in Discord to help you listen in on a particular text chat channel while playing.
    • Gurney: positive thoughts
    • Justyn: PSA's PSA's PSA's :) She's excited and feels she found her place.
    • Kraye: new attendee, thanks for showing!
    • Kvothe: afk
    • Lady Kate (Acred): keep an eye out for the quiet contributors to be recognized
    • Maedhros: happy to hear about what other folks are up to in regards projects/new player support
    • Minerva: looking forward to the telethon
    • Roper DocHoliday: he's good
    • Stryker Sparhawk: everything is nominal ;)
    • Thelas: new to the game -- popped in a few weeks ago. Loving the game so far :)
    • Womby: felt the positive vibes, thought the meeting went well.
    • WrathPhoenix: yay!

    SIDEBAR DISCUSSIONS:
    • Public Service Announcements (PSAs) regarding Hospitallers
      • Prepare some PSA in text to be converted to voice for radios.
      • See Justyn or Amber Raine
    • Task List Portals
      • Community collaboration portals potentially useful across towns, guilds, etc.
      • Evernote.com
      • pintask.me
    • Discord Servers
      • Can there be a SotA Community Discord Server where people can add their towns, guilds, etc. and be on the same server?
     
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  11. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    Hospitaller Meeting Minutes on PaxLair TS3 Server 43.245.163.15:10099 (ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!)
    21 August 2016, Sunday 11 Central Time

    MAIN TOPICS:

    • Recent Experiences with New Player Support:
      • Lazarus: noticing a lot of redundant questions, especially questions related to content changes even from veteran players, most common question is where the best place to hunt in which he replies it depends upon your objective (looking for wood, ore, particular creature?)
      • Phil Scott: noticed lots of questions about lot selection
      • Justyn: found people frustrated that they couldn't find a location to place their lots
      • Phil Scott mentioned it's easier to tackle questions in voice and tries to drag them into voice.
        • Minerva stated that there are folks who will choose to remain in text in-game, all concurred this does occur on occasion.
      • Lazarus: stating people using Hospitaller program for guild recruitment and luring people into guild-centric voice servers
    • Telethon:
      • 1230pm CDT Monday 22 August:
        • Trailer Contest Winners will be announced!
      • 3pm CDT Monday 22 August:
        • In-game location: PaxLair central lot, 3pm CDT on Monday.
        • Topics related to new player experiences and various resources available:
          • Player Towns
          • Echoes from the Caverns, Plays, NBTT
          • Church of the Darkstarr
          • NBNN and other radio stations
      • 7pm CDT Monday 22 August:
        • Topics related to events, in and out of game items
          • ONBE's will be announced at top of the hour
          • Fan Sites such as SotAWiki, SotAMap etc.
          • Hobloth
      • 10pm CDT Monday 22 August:
        • Adventure Hour
          • DarkStarr and Lord British will be adventuring in the game in various hinted at zones. Try to find them and see what adventures might unfold. (Sanctus Spine, Paladis Shardfall, Southern Grunvald Barrens etc.) Expect some PvP opportunities ;)
          • Continual changes back to Chris and Berek in the studio when the scenes change to new locations.
    • Hospitaller Commercial airing on Avatars Radio:
    ROUND THE ROOM:
    • Winfield: please continue to attract other Hospitallers to the meeting hour.
    • Amber Raine: noticed influx of Russian players. Thought meeting went well, concerned about guild recruitment occurring is a known issue and perhaps should be pushed to end of future meetings.
    • Berek: looking forward to the Telethon! Working hard to revamp the player marketplace and plans to limit how posts are bumped. Wants feedback and ideas for the player market.
    • Deiter VomPasker:
    • Doctor:
    • Elgarion: loved the new commercial for the Hospitallers
    • EMPStrike:
    • Ezekiel Cooper:
    • Grimace:
    • Gurney:
    • Justyn: brought up that people can hand off New Players to other online Hospitallers who might be able to better assist them.
    • Lady Kate (Acred): suggested localization should be broached during one of the Telethon hours. Enjoyed listening in on the input, and expresses her support for the Telethon.
    • Lazarus: rallied the troops to achieve the Clockwork Dragon Pet stretch goal for the telethon!
    • Minerva: excited about ending of the land rush
    • Phil Scott: thought his first meeting went well
    • Roper DocHoliday: amazing as always
    • Stryker Sparhawk: if we all focus even just a little bit, the entire puzzle of the telethon will come together with our combined efforts
    • Thelas:
    • Womby:
    • WrathPhoenix: tired of Discord arguments and is plotting jumping from a window if they continue

    SIDEBAR DISCUSSIONS:
     
    Acred, Grimace2 and Time Lord like this.
  12. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    Hospitaller Meeting Minutes on PaxLair TS3 Server 43.245.163.15:10099 (ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!)
    28 August 2016, Sunday 11 Central Time

    MAIN TOPICS:

    • Recent Experiences with New Player Support:
      • Kazyn said the streamer had returned to the game to see how its changed. Hey got lots of support from players and his stream indicated as such and encouraged purchase of the game from several people.
      • Lazarus said lots of people stopping to ask questions at the Soltown pub.
      • Lady Kate (Acred) stated that she's also had lots of luck helping folks.
      • Mathias Marty linked this forum post: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...the-game-is-regressing-and-here-is-why.60385/
      • Themo Lock stated that folks have problems adjusting keybindings at start of game for optimal configuration or classic style control set-up guide for folks used to standard MMO configurations.
      • Lazarus stated biggest complaints are housing availability and tab targeting/interface concerns.
      • Themo Lock stated that some of the housing concerns can be addressed by subdividing properties for deedless players.
      • Themo Lock stated he'll do a video guide for configuration of classic style controls.
      • Acaelus is a left-handed player and hopes the delete key can be a bound control key in the future.
    • Gold Farming Reductions:
      • Seems new players and veteran players have same ability to farm gold now.
      • Much less purchasing is occurring.
      • Some saying they're only making money at control points.
    • In-Game Resources:
      • Novian Academy: Kazyn stated that Stryker created a POT attached to Britanny (Britanny Shores) that is intended to be a campus for training. All are welcome to start university style buildings in this city.
      • Welcome Center: similar concept, run by Roper and friends, out on the west side of Novia. Town's being put together now and will also have new player support concepts.
    • SotAHelp:
      • New Mobile Version -- greatly updated.
      • Test out the new Looking For... feature.
      • Resources reorganized to allow for fast loads between pages.
    • Discord Set-up Recommendation (pm Elgarion with questions):
      • To help with Hospitaller response times, keep your active chat window (text) to the Sota Discord #Hospitallers Chat and go into your settings, under notifications, and in TEXT-TO-SPEECH select FOR CURRENT SELECTED CHANNEL so that while you have Discord hidden, you can hear the questions and pop in and answer them as needed.
    ROUND THE ROOM:
    • Winfield: not much to add other than hoping for more to help in and out of game. Will talk to Berek in hopes of getting more community hours over streams that are specific to the community hour concepts.
    • Themo Lock: Nothing to add, happy with hospitaller project.
    • Acaelus Fireharp: Nothing to add
    • Alcedes: Nothing to add, good meeting.
    • Cambria: Nothing to add, good meeting.
    • Elgarion: introduced Discord
    • Gurney: Good meeting as always, enjoyed the news.
    • Kvothe Kingkiller: likes the Homeless title idea. Maybe a buying and selling title as well might help.
    • Lady Kate (Acred): feels we're all still heavily committed.
    • Lazarus: welcomed Themo Lock back to the game, loves the Homeless title idea.
    • Matthias Marty: glad to be part of this active community
    • Phil Scott: happy with meeting, likes what he's seeing. Noticed that there's an average of 4.5 new players per hour.
    • Roper DocHoliday: (copy and paste) meeting went well. think some of the points need to be followed up on. having a problem with people and the gold. talked 1 player into staying after a horrible experiance in getting through the start up scene. just frusterated with some of the expectations where some people getting rewards and others are feeling left out in the game. but the meeting went very well. the other biggest thing i hear now is a mini map for the overland to show where you are. there has been rumors that sotamap might have something that will take a cordinates to place you on their map but that is a rumor. i think a part of that might be some of the vetrans are so used to those questions we might be forgetting them as they are not so new
    • Stryker Sparhawk: good meeting, not sure about gold experience since hasn't hunted much and is focusing on town set-up. Helping folks that are simply lost and gets them pointed in the right direction.
    • Temujin: first time attendee at the meeting. Elgarion pointed out his very active Hospitaller activity. Finds that folks are having more little problems like how to repair, where am I, how do I trade.
    • Womby: good meeting, noticed gold problems, nothing more to add
    • WrathPhoenix: thinks is highly important to focus on being in-game for providing in-game support and tackle the simple questions.

    NEW TECH IDEAS:
    • ? (not sure who introduced the idea) Homeless Title -- please add a title that is Homeless, to advertise someone is looking for a house to live in. This idea was very popular.
    • Winfield wants to start a conversation thread with @dallas & @Berek to suggest various initial keybinding concerns which could alleviate initial frustrations with people preferring particular bindings.
    • Elgarion stated a new tech request that could be a prompt when starting the game, "Do you prefer classic MMO controls (Tab Targeting) or FPS Style Controls (Mouselook/Aimed Targeting)." Once selected, the game will configure your controls accordingly for your starting experience and you can tweak later to your more specific needs. This will alleviate initial frustrations to have the game itself help you configure your settings. Many found it a good idea. Nobody poopoo'ed on it. Yet.
     
    Acred, Browncoat Jayson and Time Lord like this.
  13. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    Hospitaller Meeting Minutes on PaxLair TS3 Server 43.245.163.15:10099 (ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!)
    11 September 2016, Sunday 11 Central Time

    MAIN TOPICS:

    • Recent Experiences with New Player Support:
      • Laz says the influx of questions and help is steady.
      • Folks are still recovering from DragonCon but will get charged up for support in the coming days
      • Lady Kate notices that the new players are seeming more informed of late
        • Justyn thinks there is a good sign that our information out there is more up-to-date
    • Tax Rates OMGORSH!
      • Woftam is very concerned that tax rates might be too high -- already had 3 residents need to pack up their bags and tear down their houses since they could not keep up with the rent.
        • Lady Kate hopes that Portalariums stat tracking might help them show when people default on their rent and need to do this
        • Elgarion mentioned perhaps a survey could pop up to ask why people are tearing down their homes so it can be captured as a statistic for economy health and rent amounts. Lots that are preemptively torn down by the owner before the time expires might be more difficult to capture as a stat as opposed to ones where the lot actually expires when rent is overdue and returns to the player's bank.
      • Comments about the tax system has led us to believe the tax system/rent system interface reformatting or better nomenclature/descriptors. There seems to be some confusion about how to pay rent. (FYI Lace has posted a video about rent!)
    • In-Game Resources:
      • No discussions this time.
    • SotAHelp:
      • There will be an upcoming SotAHelp tutorial session in 2 weeks after the Hospitaller meeting.
    • Discord Set-up Recommendation (pm Elgarion with questions):
      • To help with Hospitaller response times, keep your active chat window (text) to the Sota Discord #Hospitallers Chat and go into your settings, under notifications, and in TEXT-TO-SPEECH select FOR CURRENT SELECTED CHANNEL so that while you have Discord hidden, you can hear the questions and pop in and answer them as needed.

    ROUND THE ROOM:

    • Grimace: Spoke to Winfield about new ideas for returning focus on in-game Hospitallerating, and hopes for a more boots-on-the-ground focus.
      • Folks are hoping to close the Hospitaller private conversation thread now that we're public. Future discussions on the forums on New Player Support should occur here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...help-org-players-helping-players.48819/page-3
        • This will be discussed next week and a motion will be made for closing it or keeping it open.
        • Options for having a thread for new player support each release was also brought up. This will be a topic next week.
    • Elgarion: was typing furiously. Claimed he's taking workman's comp for his sore fingers.
    • Justyn: estimates the average hospitaller session for her lasts 2-4 hours each, and is happy to help in this regard!
    • Lady Kate (Acred): happy with the things are going and loves seeing new people in-game. Loves providing 1 on 1 help, and hopes this type of support continues to keep people in-game.
    • Lazarus: introduced a pvp idea to Richard Garriott , also stated that whilst using the Hospitaller Tag, be sure to make certain a new player understands that you're there to support them and while you have that tag on not to hesitate to request assistance. Use comments, "I'll be right with you" if you're tied up in another support ticket. Happy to be here to help!
    • Stryker Sparhawk: good meeting. Got to spend some quality time with Temujin again and was here for a short small meeting last week. Urges that we stick with public threads only for future endeavors, abandoning the private thread.
    • Temujin: nothing to add!
    • Berek: gearing up to get Hometown decorated and bringing it in internally as a developer project! Has a library planned for his Hometown project! Wants feedback about improving the livestream and hopes folks enjoyed the quality improvements on the last telethon.

    NEW TECH IDEAS:

    • REMINDER: We want a Homeless (maybe vagrant?) tag for folks so they can advertise that they are searching for a home. @Berek hint hint!
      • Berek indicated to the group to start a Title Thread on the forums! Justyn04 volunteered to start the title thread!
     
    Time Lord, 4EverLost, Acred and 3 others like this.
  14. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    @Lace I got all your recent videos loaded into SotAHelp -- we're curent now as of today! Sorry I fell behind ;)
     
    Time Lord, Lace, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  15. Selene

    Selene Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

    Messages:
    3,111
    Likes Received:
    11,746
    Trophy Points:
    165
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Serpents Watch Brewery!!
    Maybe "Wanderer" would be more attractive than homeless.
     
    Time Lord, Elgarion, Acred and 2 others like this.
  16. Birne Gilmore

    Birne Gilmore Avatar

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    526
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Germany (Celle)
    If there is interest in videos in other languages you can add mine as well ... I have made some in german and I'm also a Hospitaller who tries to help especially in the german sector (but I'm not to shy to help in english as well ;) ) ... here a link to the playlist of my SotA videos including all educationals and also those about the changes in R33 so far (I plan to do a "what is new" video each release for those who have problems with enlish descriptions ;) ) ...

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3V3XNNHbrnY53XmdMgGB6C-8iQCvxtMN
     
    Time Lord, Elgarion, Lace and 3 others like this.
  17. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    So attractive I'd use it even if I weren't looking for a home! Wanderer would likely fit Elgarion quite well ;) Good suggestion for the title indeed, thanks Selene. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they nibble on the concept.

    @Birne Gilmore , fantastic!!! I'll be adding your videos very very soon! I'll try to get them loaded before I go out of town for a week starting Saturday morning. Looks like you wrote up a description for each, but if you have any you wish to post new descriptions for tailored similar to the descriptions I wrote up for the other ones on SotAHelp, please simply list the new descriptions to use below.

    @Birne Gilmore , if I wrote this, "Dieses video ist auf dem stand von R33." Is that correct for "This video is current as of R33?"
     
  18. Birne Gilmore

    Birne Gilmore Avatar

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    526
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Germany (Celle)
    Write "Video" and "Stand" (Capital V/S), cuz nouns are written large in german ... but yes, that's right excapt to this little change ;) I had a look on sotahelp for the texts and think my disciptions and yes, I will write some for you because mine out of the descriptions are quite long and also contain additions (discriptions of matters I had in the video or stuff I missed). May be I just add a "look into the videos desciption on youtube for additional infos are for asking questions"-paragraph ;)

    I send them to you as a pm here in the forum ;)
     
    Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  19. Mac2

    Mac2 Avatar

    Messages:
    2,761
    Likes Received:
    7,075
    Trophy Points:
    153
    This is great, I like to help people, its a win win situation.
     
  20. Elgarion

    Elgarion Avatar

    Messages:
    900
    Likes Received:
    2,575
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    added the following sites to the SotAHelp.org Web Resources page:

    SotAAstronomy.com
    SotAQM.com

    Going to revamp the Help Center Discord entry soon to instead be a generic VOIP entry with a list of all known and public VOIP servers (most importantly the official Discord server, and it will still show the link to the Help Center as the #2 below the official SotA one.)

    Can people please list any PERMANENT invite links to Discord channels which are public (meaning anyone is welcome to enter the channel and speak/type) as well as any public VOIP servers such as TS3 etc? I'll get them complied and added in a week after I get back from vacation. Many many thanks friends!
     
    Birne Gilmore and Time Lord like this.