Houses with basements ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Eriador, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

One idea that I always had: houses with basements. This gives you some extra space and some possibilities: special lighting, the possibility of producing seeds that need darkness, and are suitable places to have your own dungeon or jail!

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

Yeah, we were throwing out the dungeon idea too. Love it

3. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

I support this! :) I would like a wine cellar or a crafting basement / storage room.

4. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

I would love to be able to upgrade to a 2-story house, or a house with an open roof that you can climb up on.

5. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

I agree, really always thought a basement would be awesome, store anything downstairs and keep it out of the way. +1 from me

6. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

I support basements, but not to have many players connecting to a sewer or dungeon with the housing layout, it would seem stupid to have practically every house tying into it. it would not feel secluded, I could see castles of guilds or LB castle tying into it, or other large NPC building but not everyone's house.

7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

They could have a lot of different options, even they can be for secrets meetings or stables for monsters. You could have a special environment in your own house! For example, the cooking: Yes, maybe a wine cellar or a place to leave special food with cured/rennet requirements.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Lord of the Sheep

Lord of the Sheep Avatar

Basements under taverns would be awesome.

The first rule about Fight Club is, whoops.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

I would think the only problem would be technical limitations of the lots. I hope they can figure it out though. I want a dungeon for my castle.

10. smack

smack Avatar

@Lord Sheep: Hey! That was my idea too! :)

I too like the idea of basements, dungeons, wine cellars, etc, underneath the main property. Lots of new types of usable space simply for looks or space, or due to the nature of needing to be underground.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Sounds good to me.

12. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

B says dungeons than it should be so. Secret passages to get to your dungeon would be the greatest. People could visit and try to find it

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Some houses in medieval Europe were completely underground except for the attic, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit-house

Eriador likes this.
  14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Fight Club--> A place to train pvp in secret or just to have you own private meetings with other "club friends" is much better in a place like a basement, I think!

There are a lot of possibilities in housing, RPG, and game mechanics!

Two curiosities, some modern underground houses: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/7112/casatierra4.jpg

A cave house in Spain (I was in one, they are very cold, even in summer): http://esphoto500x500.mnstatic.com/museo-cuevas-de-sacromonte_313525.jpg

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

That give me another idea: Now that we have a weather system, a basement can be a secure place to shelter from a tornado (or even in a siege).

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

We have castles now for guilds now, so I don't see the reason for being secret, but still would like to have fun fighting in it, maybe could use it for underground betting on fights/pet fights, that are illegal in cities, could still use vendor to place bets.

Having the vendor as the intermediary, would also allow the ability to see 2:1 or 4:1 on odds automatically, the only down side is people could take a fall for huge upset and get paid handsomely for it, except if they use combat pets.

17. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Most likely we'll start with houses without basements but I do not see too much of a jump for basements. We'll have to figure out a terrain exclusion system for other aspects of the game.

Secret passages should not be too difficult as long as they do not break spacial reality too bad.

Great ideas all around.

OSullivan likes this.
  18. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

:) I think this can be a super cool implement!

In UO I made something like a "fake dungeon" in my first floor, but was pretty bad, specially because it had a totally different aesthetic from the second and third floor. This was the first time that I wish to have a basement.

19. Linthu

Linthu Avatar

I love the basement idea; common goods upstairs, awesome magic items downstairs...

20. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

@Eriador - <b>+1 on creating psuedo basement/dungeons with custom housing in UO.</b>
    I am not sure of the proportion of my time that was spent in custom housing trying to craft a psuedo basement or dungeon that I was happy with.

I have played on a UO freeshard that had basements and interconnected "secret" passages from player housing to dungeons. Overall, it was a very nice feature.

@daexarayan - Some of the player housing of the freeshard was set up as "shops". You could only place vendors in player housing that was tagged as a "shop". I very much enjoyed the "shops" with basements so I could use the basement for personal use and the ground floor as themed retail space to match the nature of the shop. I quite agree that it is nice to have some space in the house that is sort of out of sight for activities that may not necessarily fit well with the RP of the character or the theme of the house.

@Strongsquirrel1 <b>+1 "not to have many players connecting to a sewer or dungeon with the housing layout"</b>
    There are many details forthcoming about housing security and sieges but my initial gut reaction based on my own experiences is that I would much prefer that player housing NOT be connected to dungeons. I think it is fine to have sewer connecting service buildings to dungeons but I have hesitations about player housing being connected to dungeons as a general rule.

Dare I say it... this is the sort of game feature that I would be willing to purchase as an addon. It doesn't necessarily make my character "stronger" if he has a basement in his house. Perhaps a basement could add something like 20-50% more storage capacity to the house. Perhaps some activities get a slight boost or bonus in a basement (particularly mechanics that are RP related like brewing beer or wine making). Perhaps there could be "themed" basements. It would be nice if there was a security feature that allowed you to deny access or grant access to the public if your house is set as public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.