Housing and Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lebowski, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Heyo,

I have had no interaction with SOTA yet, but I was curious how housing is expected to work in this game. I am specifically interested in the availability of lots. How limited will it be. I would hope that it would be limited, but not unrealistically so...I played uo starting in 2000-2003. Loved it! best game ever! I never found another game like it, so I'm very excited about this.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Welcome to the community Dude!

First step: you should read the FAQ. There's a big section on housing.

Housing will indeed be limited and they haven't stated exactly how many they are reserving for purchase in-game after the game launches. But everyone has the opportunity now to claim a parcel of land by backing the game at the Citizen pledge level or higher.

3. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Lots will be limited and expensive; about 25% of the player population is expected to own land. You can own as many lots as you want. You would have to purchase house designs that can be built on these lots separately (I believe every lot comes w/ at least one basic house).

Otherwise the housing works basically the same as a 3D UO. I played UO pre-2000 and am here solely because of that.

4. Macsen

Macsen Avatar

Lots are also available on the add on store, but seem to be sold out at the moment

5. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

hmmm. Citizen level is kinda expensive. I wouldn't mind purchasing the lot separately...hopefully, they free more lot space up with future expansions.

6. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

The benefit of Citizen level and higher is that the lots you get with those are not taxed like ones you can buy in the store or in game.

7. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Is the tax similar to what they had in Star Wars Galaxies? You pay a portion of the in-game currency to maintain the home? I assume they haven't ironed out the details on that yet..

8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Correct. I think you'll have a choice to either pay it with in game currency or with RL money, but don't quote me on the RL money option.

9. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Okay. I actually like that idea. I think one of the major problems with these MMO games is inflation. So, having a tax system certainly helps balance the issuance of gold. This is off topic, but are you aware of any other measures they plan on taking in order to prevent "gold mining"?

Also, will there be a house decay in addition to the tax?

10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm sure they are working on ways to prevent gold mining, but realistically there isn't too much they can do if there is a player on the other end of it doing all the physical work.

You have 6 months to log into the game or your house will decay. For people who have to pay rent, you have it until you don't have money to pay the rent or the 6 month log in period. Whichever comes first.

11. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Thank you Mystic. You're a big help.

Mystic likes this.
  12. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Careful dont want his head getting to big!!! Kidding Mystic is a good guy!

They have talked about a number of good sinks, from upgrading crafting stations to Taxs on certain transactions as well as having reduced issuance of gold in general to promote more player to player trades along with bartering.

13. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

My advice is unless you pledged citizen or bought one in the store, don't expect to get a house in the game. I'm not saying it to be negative but to be realistic. Housing will be limited. Most people won't have one and it will probably cost you real money if you really want one.

postulio likes this.
  14. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Well that's kind of a bummer...Little too limited imho. Have they discussed the idea of co-ownership?

Also, are they planning on releasing more lots for purchase?

ALSO, I'm wondering how you are supposed to maintain the tax on your lot when you are first getting started and not making much gold...

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I am pretty certain co-ownership or being friended to someone elses house will be a thing you can do. I don't know if they will be selling more house plots in the store though.

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I was curious about this as well. Haven't heard any word on how long after we place our lot we would have to pay rent...If you place and then can't play until 1-2 weeks later...hmm could be tough...or just start the rent date when the game goes live?

Also, yes they have kindred status on each house so you can being in friends/family to live with you and have full access to all the stuff in your home. Should help until they make some decisions on player owned inns etc.

Lebowski likes this.
  17. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

There are still house plots for-sale. They are part of the Pledge Tiers Citizen and higher along with a lot of other goodies!

18. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Yea. I'm considering it. It seems so crazy though. It's sort of a gamble. If the game flops, then I'm out 500 buckaroos. All indications are that this game should be good though...I have a buddy who may play. We were thinking of splitting the citizen level and just owning the house in co-ownership.

19. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

In life nothing is a certainty, however I have faith in Richard, Starr, and the rest of the Dev team. I looked at it as an investment in something I believe will succeed, and a game I hope to be playing for years to come. And think back through life... I am sure you have spent a lot of money on things that wont give you half as much as this game has the possibility to give.

20. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Yea my car. My nostalgia for UO will most likely overwhelm any common sense that I may have.

Though, if the game is successful, it would likely be a good investment considering the limited availability of housing.

Sir Kiron Maedun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.