Housing and rent cost reductions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I'm pretty sure these deed are taxed. And you should be mad at the backers that bought up all the real estate in NPC towns and never play rendering them ghost towns...not the people ACTUALLY PLAYING the game, for crying out loud.

Seriously? You delete stuff that is released just ONE time? Wow...I take it you don't need gold either?

2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

One of the reasons why so many have provided free housing for those who are without a place to call home. Makes the transition into becoming a home owner much easier if that's a goal.

Witcheypoo and Elwyn like this.
  3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

But these are POT deeds, right? If someone plops it down, and goes inactive, the POT manager can easily clean it up if new residents need a spot. It goes to their bank so if they decide to come back, voila, find a spot again.

I'd suggest tax free with a much stricter activity requirement, like 2 weeks even, would alleviate any concerns with inactives taking up room. You don't have to pay anything, but if you don't log in / step across the lot, it goes to bank. I don't think this would break the game in any meaningful way.

I agree though that 'less' taxes would also be a fair solution without risking the ire of people who spent $$ for tax free. As a tax free lot holder, I personally don't see this as a big deal, as they aren't tradeable and are account bound, anything that helps bring in and retain more folks is a plus in my view.

4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Regardless of how the mechanic to make money is, it's still a monthly fee paid to the game dev company. Sub fee or monthly payment of taxes using Coto, really, at the end of the day is the same thing. Newsflash: this, nor any, game cannot exist without funding.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  5. oplek

oplek Avatar

I think it'd be interesting if it had an effect on siege militia... the more people in town paying taxes, the more defense there is against sieges.

6. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

The initial purchasing of tax-free lot deeds occurred long before the tax rate was ever mentioned for taxed deeds. The tax-rate is really a gold sink for the game and if it is deemed to be too high, then it should be lowered. Seems like simple economics to me and it has no effect on my tax-free lot regardless.

Cypher Black

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Your assuming taxfree deeds where only acquired via pledge, they have been available in bundles forever now and includes people who have bought these deeds as recent as today possibly.

But I dont disagree with you in general.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  8. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

He said, the initial purchasing of tax free lot deeds.

9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

How are they supposed to have found the game? Have you seen any advertising? I am assuming that they still don't think they want to blow both their chance and their wad by advertising too early. And as to all the "ghost" players that haven't showed up, you've got to wonder how many of those idle (claimed but no activity) lots are from RMT or whales hoping to flip them. Not that I have a problem with that, but it does also depend on that "how do new players found out about the game?" thing. Hint: it's not because of the housing system that they haven't found out about the game.

As to the original topic, I say just let Port figure it out on their own, they have a lot more information than we do. They had been planning to review the lot taxes all along, but they can't do everything at once, and some things need the world to settle in for a few months before you can see how it needs to be changed. And I have a taxed town lot that I got at persistence that I haven't been able to do anything with, because the economy is still not strong enough without new players.

Nobody said they were going to, other than the rampant speculation that constantly happens here.

I'm sure the Oracle always needs spare parts!

That's already here, you can pay for rent with COTOs. Buy COTOs with real money, possibly convert to IGG, pay rent, OR use in-game gold instead. Just because there's an extra step doesn't mean you can't use RL money. And just because it's charged by the day doesn't mean you can't pay by the month.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I bought my tax free pledge deeds before the cheap tax rate was introduced. I thought the taxes would be more than what they are now.

I don’t grind million xp an hour and I don’t grind million igg an hour either. I am always broke with igg.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  11. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Everyone and her/his dog does teleton, browse shops, they are bursting at the seams with teleton rewards, nothing rare or special about them

Bigg likes this.
  12. Xkillerz

Xkillerz Avatar

I have seen some good suggestions in here. My biggest worry atm is that a new user can drop down the free plot and hold a spot for months let it expire faster if someone does not log in within 4 weeks. Only for that lot and I feel the expire timer on non backer lots should be reduced as well. Taxes? Well, it can cause a expire as well if the player does not have enough money. Taxes can become a bit lower but keep the tax free lots special as they are.

13. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I would say one month no log in, extendable if one contacts support. (for cases where people have to be away for longer but plan to return)

Steevodeevo likes this.
  14. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

They're POT lots they expire as quickly as the Governor decides they do.

15. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

They're POT lots, Port support can't protect them. POT owners generally know who is and isn't active in their town.

I agree that land holding should be based on activity more than igg.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I don't think you understand that these are "limited edition" items, they aren't going to make more. Sure, some people may literally be paving their lots with them, but two years from now there should be many more new people, and some of them will want this old stuff. But there's always a price low enough that people will give you gold for them now.

At the very least, if you really don't care, dump it in someone's public cache chest. Or maybe we should be thanking you for making the rest of our stuff worth just a little bit more two years from now.

17. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Eh could always dump it in cache chest i suppose, I am really not interested in storing things who possibly could maybe be "worth" something in the distant future. It is an game, lighten up!
    I worry much more about the future of Sota, here are already noises about blocking PP and CC services on the net, plunk extra taxes on american internet based trade and services, so I see kinda lean times.
    I love to play Sota but I doubt i would make an account on some idillic south sea isle so i can play Sota...

18. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ghost players make mistakes. You can't watch everything all the time.

I've already picked up two prime lots when their inactivity timer hit 0.

One in Etceter and another in Spite (on the main road no less!). Now I'm building Taverns for homeless Outlanders and didn't have to pay a dime for these lots :)

Jaesun, Elwyn and Brass Knuckles like this.
  19. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

In SotA, Prime Lot means vacant lot for sale lol.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  20. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Actually I've already put an Elven Inn on the lot. I just have to complete the second Tavern and get started working on furnishing. Already have my Elven lights and mushrooms to brighten Outlanders lives.

The Vacancy lights will be on soon.

Maybe that's an idea for our wishlist. Creating a Vacancy Available flag / tag / light. Something to let people visually know there is space available. Beyond the usual pinned letter to a wall.

Mishras likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.