How do we prevent quests from being boring and redundant?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Robby, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Did you read the topic? Once again someone posts a solution to a problem and in come the anti-problem solvers and idea critics.

Chris just stated that they can fully regulate PvP Mapping to 100%. The threshold is not open it's governed way down.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The problem with your solution was that it wasn't good. As soon as they do what you suggested they lose any new people who come to the game who may want to play the game as PVE since in your "solution" you took that game away. At the moment any of your friends can flag full open pvp which is what you were suggesting the whole game go too instead of flagging. I fail to see the difference.

This is a discussion board, people will discuss ideas and not always agee, you may have to get used to that.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

You know, if you don't want another PvP thread, maybe you should stop discussing PvP. This thread is a zombie, anyway, and I fully expected it to die. Not that lucky, I guess.

4. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

You are grasping at straws rune. There is no way a PvE quest can compete over time with a PvP quest.

The subject is how to keep quests from becoming boring and redundant. Repeating a programmed response about new players and the evil of PvP doesn't really work here....but is a good example of boring redundancy.

5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Time Lord and acrylic_300 like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I said why I thought it wouldn't work. Try to keep it on what I said not in reflection of what you think of me. It gets really old and sad.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

They have actually mentioned something like this. Randomized puzzles to keep people from looking up the answers.

I don't really see any problem with the quests ever getting stale. Some people like repetition to the point of grinding, while others like a fresh challenges. I Imagine everyone will find their niche in the game and be happy.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I liked UO's style of having certain individuals (witht he right tools) to help players who wished to do so create thier own quests. It made the RP community very strong and soemtiems the quests would escelate into all otu events that peopel from all over would flock to to witness/participate in. ive not seen it done that way since but always thought it was the msot interesting way to do quests. i think they were called "Seers"

9. Robby

Robby Avatar

So.. People have mentioned scenarios where your job is to convince a suicidal person to not jump off a cliff, or one where someone is chasing a theif out the door saying "stop theif!"
    The one thing I really hope happens in SotA is the possibility to tell that person whose about to leap off a cliff that he is worthless and that if he cant jump himself, that you will give him a push! >=-)
    And on the shopkeeper yelling "stop theif!", i'd like to be able to capture that theif, ask him what he got, then say, "Whoa... if I would have been with ya we could have ripped off GOBS more! Lets camp till night time, ill show ya how to be a real crook!".
    Ultima I think always tends to kinda advertise that you can be good or bad and all.. But from my experience being evil in an ultima game never really worked out well. Because the story is always about the avatar slaying evil, so doing the evil thing made the game seem a bit odd, and inconsistent. Somewhat.. gltichy. It was tough to progress through the story in ultima nine if you told lord british you dont want to help. There was no way to really wreak havoc on the world of britannia, you could do a few dastardly deeds here and there and lose a bit of karma, but it overall just didnt fit in with the story at all. You HAD to be a good guy most of the time or the story wouldn't progress. So one day, your telling a beggar "my gold is my own you filthy beggar" then whipping out your weapon and slaughtering him while the guards arent looking just because your mean and you feel like it.. But then you go and save a damsel in distress because... well.... the game really doesn't give you the option to tell the brigands who kidnapped the damsel that they did a good job and hopefully they get a good payout from the ransom and that you will definitely help them hide if you get some of the ransom money(of course if your a nuetral evil type of person you'll aid the highest bidder, if the good guys pay more than the brigands, then the brigands are pretty much done for! And this is the character I would enjoy playing.. the nuetral evil type.)
    Now, as most of you already know, im completely on the old school UO open world PvP side of the PvP issue. But... im not looking to discuss it anymore cuz it seems to me that how its going to work has all been determined and all so, im pretty much done with that topic. Of course im not saying to stop! Theres no need to stop discussing it EVER. But for now im done.
    But anyway, as I was saying, im one of those pro-old school UO pvp types, but I feel if the game allowed plenty of room to have some really immersive PvE quests that allowed one to be evil... and cooperate with other players who are evil as well... I could totally give up on open world PvP. Becuase never have I seen a truly immersive and free good/evil system in any game. Not even in D and D. Everyone pretty much forces players to be the good guys in games. Time for a change I say!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.